Dehydration or kidney failure?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask the vet if it's okay and safe to use Fortiflora. It is advertised for both adult cats and kittens. If the vet approves, maybe split one day's dose into two or three to support him eat small portions throughout the day which is easier for digestion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mahurboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would ask the vet if it's okay and safe to use Fortiflora. It is advertised for both adult cats and kittens. If the vet approves, maybe split one day's dose into two or three to support him eat small portions throughout the day which is easier for digestion.
He has eaten half can of chicken, but he is eager to drink the liquid more than the chicken itself. He was soo playful..
We used fortiflora before, now he does not eat anything with it.. i syringed water 10ml*2 to make sure he is not dehyrated.. any ideas what is going on with my baby boy?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Given his age and the tests that he has had done I don't think there is anything serious going on. He may need a different antibiotic. I would try some of the tricks to get him to eat more on his own. Trying different wet foods. Heating the food sometimes helps. I don't know if you have Fancy Feast where you live but here the vets call it 'kitty crack' because cats will often eat it when they won't eat anything else. I know it doesn't make sense but sometimes cats will eat off of a paper plate when they won't eat out of anything else. I think sometimes cats will feel bad after eating, it has nothing to do with what or how they ate but they associate it with the food. Changing things up with their food breaks that association.

If none of those tricks work then you will need to syringe feed. Cats don't like it but it is necessary. The appetite stimulants are another possibility. I don't know what it is but cats going off their food seems to be a common issue and sometimes it takes some time and trial and error to get them eating again.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has eaten half can of chicken, but he is eager to drink the liquid more than the chicken itself. He was soo playful..
We used fortiflora before, now he does not eat anything with it.. i syringed water 10ml*2 to make sure he is not dehyrated.. any ideas what is going on with my baby boy?
I don't know what is going on if anything but regardless, I would suggest pate texture wet food and small meals throughout the day. Even my adult cat doesn't like to eat more than like 30-40 grams of wet food at one sitting. More makes her get gassy and painful. She also doesn't eat anything colder than room temperature or more than 1,5 can of the same wet food, she demands a different flavor. Some cats eat more when handfed.

P.S. Possibly-dehydration-related little changes in the bloodwork doesn't have to be a longterm problem. My own cat's crea was a bit high as well in the last test and I was told it might just mean the morning of the test she was dehydrated. Not necessarily she's generally dehydrated. I was advised to make sure before the next blood test she's well-hydrated. It might be different for kittens I don't have kitten experience. Just sharing as an anecdotal experience.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat had a decrease in appetite and stopped eating awhile ago but once we gave him a meat flavored baby food with absolutely NO seasonings or other additives he voraciously ate it up. I always keep a supply on hand now just in case. The two he liked best were Beechnut Turkey & Turkey Broth and Chicken & Chicken Broth. It's worth a try. :think:

Here is an Article about how to get your cat eating again that may be helpful:
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again
Also a thread on tips to get your cat to eat that is an excellent resource:
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Mahurboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dears,

he has eaten 1 package wet food, 3/4 small can of chicken and first time dry food. He was very playful in the morning, however lately he got the habit of hiding.. he hides and awaits till he feel safe. I think he was traumatized with all happening aroundlike staying at the clinic, antibiotics everyday, syringe feeding..he has been always a shy boy, but he started to avoid us, which makes me so so sad. Will it change you think?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It will change, just give him time to get his confidence back. Dont force him, let him do it is his time. Talk quietly to him and maybe sit on the floor and let him come to you. He has eaten well, thats great.

Mahurboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It will change, just give him time to get his confidence back. Dont force him, let him do it is his time. Talk quietly to him and maybe sit on the floor and let him come to you. He has eaten well, thats great.
Hello everyone,

update!

today he was again very playful in the morning, sort of hiding still but when we play with the toys, he comes out from the hiding place.

he has eaten a bit (0.25 of daily requirement) dry food, almost a pack of wet food so far. We have a fountain in the house, he just sits and look at it instead of drinking.. there are also water cups around the house, did not see him drinking so far. I am afraid he will be dehydrated again and the values will go higher. we have a vet visit on Thursday as follow up.

any ideas?

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you probably won’t catch your cat drinking from the fountain (I have one for my boy too), but as long as he’s eating the wet food, he’s still going to be getting moisture in his diet.

you need to relax, trust that the vet isn’t going to guide you wrong (though obsessive googling might lead you to think that), and mention your concerns when you go in thursday

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with dkb817 dkb817 . Try to relax, your kitty will pick up on your anxiety. Wet good is very high in moisture so if he's eating wet then he should be fine. I never see any of my cats drinking yet the water level mysteriously goes down. Write your concerns/questions down and take to the vets with you, dont be afraid to ask questions.

Mahurboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with dkb817 dkb817 . Try to relax, your kitty will pick up on your anxiety. Wet good is very high in moisture so if he's eating wet then he should be fine. I never see any of my cats drinking yet the water level mysteriously goes down. Write your concerns/questions down and take to the vets with you, dont be afraid to ask questions.
Thanks everyone! You are absolutely right..
I will try to relax.. he is playful, walking around, plays with us, just hides from time to time.
I will keep you posted on Thursday.. thanks a billion for your support during these days❤

Mahurboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! You are absolutely right..
I will try to relax.. he is playful, walking around, plays with us, just hides from time to time.
I will keep you posted on Thursday.. thanks a billion for your support during these days❤
Update..

my boy has been eating and drinking well. I took him to vet for the blood and urine test. He gained 300 gram in 3 weeks. However, the tests results are the same as before..Crea and urea values are slightly higher than usual, there is blood and protein in the urine. The vet says she doesnt understand because they could not see anything in the ultrasound... she will send the results to her professor and let her to judge it.

any ideas.. i am having nightmares😢

Mahurboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Attaching you the result of SDMA test along with blood test results. SDMA is in the reference, while crea and urea is higher than normal. Crea upper limit was supposed to be “less than 140”. Do not pay attention to the upper limit on paper, it is a machine mistake the vet said.

Attachments

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what do you feed him? Does he get enough moisture from food, or are you feeding him dry food only? If you're so worried I wouldn't feed dry at all if I were you, but high protein, low carbs wet, paying attention on the phosphorus levels.

I'd simply wait for professor's opinion. I'm guessing that my vet would say that such as small variation is normal in kittens.

Mahurboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what do you feed him? Does he get enough moisture from food, or are you feeding him dry food only? If you're so worried I wouldn't feed dry at all if I were you, but high protein, low carbs wet, paying attention on the phosphorus levels.

I'd simply wait for professor's opinion. I'm guessing that my vet would say that such as small variation is normal in kittens.
50% dry 50% wet food. He has been eating so well lately that I never thought we will again have issues. I may understand the variations in blood levels, but what about blood and protein in the urine?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I may understand the variations in blood levels, but what about blood and protein in the urine?
It's my understanding that if the kidneys are healthy they won't let protein pass through their filters. However, they may let albumin leak from the blood into the urine.