Dehydrated Or Kidney Disease?

SweetiePie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hmmm, I remember you said your vet was running some additional tests. Did you get the results and did your vet offer any suggestions? Just curious...
Hopefully the additional tests will yield something. Tough cat, hopefully he is comfortable in the meantime.:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hmmm, I remember you said your vet was running some additional tests. Did you get the results and did your vet offer any suggestions? Just curious...
Hopefully the additional tests will yield something. Tough cat, hopefully he is comfortable in the meantime.:)
His stool sample came back negative the pathology test for infection hasn't been done yet. Both vets said to take him off kidney support but that they don't know for sure what's wrong so we're waiting on pathology. So far the only suggestions offered have been to help his stomach, once pathology comes back we'll hopefully have a better idea of where to go, the tummy stuff is at least sort of helping except now his stool is solid but was bloody once, the vet guessed it was just from irritation after it had been liquid for so long.

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is comfortable, the vets saw no signs of discomfort and he hasn't shown any at home either which is good at least

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, that's something, or kinda a lot.
True I'm very happy whatever it is isn't causing discomfort, the medicine for his tummy was also changed to calestrom I believe it's called and he's been better on it than the fortiflora.

SweetiePie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, well I know you are trying every reasonable thing and really that's all you can do. I like the idea of adopting older cats with special needs. Its a pretty selfless thing to do so my hat is off to you (tip my hat...you know what I mean).

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So his pathology came back and there's nothing wrong with him? They said it could just all be a response from his gingivitis, or something else but medically there's nothing wrong with him, and they don't want to do a dental cleaning yet since it's so mild it should go away on it's own.

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did they do a fPLI test for pancreatitis?
I think so? The bloodwork said no accute pancreatitis, they didn't do further testing as they felt it was unnecessary. I'll send a picture of the bloodwork since idk if they did that test.

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has no infection or parasites, both vets he's seen agree he has no kidney disease and honestly aren't really sure what's wrong, or if there's nothing wrong at all and he just has inflammation from something that's going away, the suggestion was to retest in a month, but I am open to other options.

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
please do, the PSL LIPA is not a good test for pancreatitis
Thank you I never would have known to look into that more but it seems like a very likely cause for his issues based on symptoms! Thank you for the suggestion!

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just curious how our baby Kip...ooppss, I mean your cat, is doing?:wink::)
He's been doing well, he's getting more blood work etc. done in about 3 weeks to recheck and then if the values are still abnormal we're going to get the fPLI test done to look at pancreatitis, the vet just said we should give it a month to see if it stabilizes or goes away. He's very happy though and enjoys laying on the floor in weird positions despite his multitude of beds and cat trees.