Defecating Outside The Litter Box

Suzie bee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm at my wits end! I've inherited my mum's cat after she passed away. Approximately 2 y.o ginger boy. He's been with me for a few months, gets along well with my other two cats and dogs, he's relaxed, confident, playful and affectionate. I believe he is healthy. I've tried changing where he has his box, the type of litter, the location and I ensure its always clean. Yet he chooses to poo either in my bathtub or right next to the litter box!!!! It's driving me insane. What's more, he used to do it at mums place too. I believe its a bad habit he has that I need to re train him, but I've tried absolutely everything, and he STILL does this about every 2nd day.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Condolences on the passing of your mum. :alright: I'm glad you were able to keep her cat. Sorry, though, about his litter box issue.

How many litter boxes do you have? The "rule" is one box per cat, plus one. So another litter box might help. Especially if he is one of those quirky cats who likes to pee in one box, and poop in another.

Sometimes cats poop outside the litterbox, when they associate it with pain or discomfort. Do you know if he ever had constipation issues?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is something he doesn't like, and hasn't liked for a while now. Get two boxes and put them side by side, with different litters. Try different litters everytime you change them to find the one he wants. Even try potting soil. He doesn't like the box or the litter. It's not unusual for cats to urinate in one box and defecate in another. If that doesn't work, lay puppy pee pads alongside the litter box to make cleanup easier.
Bless you for taking that sweet boy in, I'm sure he is very confused and upset too about your Mum passing away, my condolences to you and your family. It will take months for him to calm down, I'll pray that you find a solution to your problem, all the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suzie bee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I've tried numerous litter boxes, numerous occasions, some with lid, some without, different litters.... His stools are not what I would assume from constipation or diarrhoea so I'm still at a loss!

Suzie bee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, he is a sweet boy and loves his cuddles and playtime with us. I'm surprised how quickly relaxed he has become - even with my two other cats and dogs. I've tried different litters and different box placement, but i think I'm going to have to try the puppy pee pads!!! Thank you for your kind words re my Mum, she always said how comforted she was knowing I have her boy and she knew he would have a great life with us, IF HE'D JUST POO IN HIS BOX!!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does he, or did he, ever poop in the litter box? Do you ever see him when goes outside the box?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the litters all definitely unscented? Many of the higher end litter, although labeled unscented or frgrance free, have residual chemicals from facilities conjointly used with perfumed litters. I have had the best results with Cat&Co white zeolite unscented (kmart), Frisco unscented(Chewy) and Precious Kitty fragrance free (WalMart) and Arm&Hammer.
Once you have eliminated external irritation, you can begin investigating internal issues. Pain is a symptom & culprit; constipation and IBS/IBD are tricky issues to diagnose. The clues are in the stools and the behaviors. Stool consistency is key evidence as is watching for signs of straining, rectal "winking", dashing off and urgent licking.
Meanwhile, I would put down puppy pads topped with a small mound of litter adjacent to the box (human incontinence pads work well and often caregivers have excess inventory at a good price) to try to reintroduce using litter. And make sure there is no corn or wheat in the food; gravy flavor wet foods have gluten added as thickeners but you can thin pates with water or broth.
Please keep us updated and BLESS YOU for taking in your mother's cat - you are honoring your mom in the very best possible way by giving her beloved pet love, comfort and sanctuary in his time of loss. I wish that more people were as loving as you are!:heartshape::catlove::angel3:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been for a vet visit recently? If not i would suggest one. Often peeing, or pooing outside the box is a symptom of some physical problems. I would want to rule out all physical reasons before i started looking at behavior.
Sending you guys my best wishes! I am very sorry for the loss of your mother, i just went through loosing my father, its so hard. I am glad her cat has you, and that you have her cat :heartshape:

Suzie bee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does he, or did he, ever poop in the litter box? Do you ever see him when goes outside the box?
Hi. He does go in his box to urinate and on occasion defecates outside his box but Ive never caught him doing it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Suzie bee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has he been for a vet visit recently? If not i would suggest one. Often peeing, or pooing outside the box is a symptom of some physical problems. I would want to rule out all physical reasons before i started looking at behavior.
Sending you guys my best wishes! I am very sorry for the loss of your mother, i just went through loosing my father, its so hard. I am glad her cat has you, and that you have her cat :heartshape:
sorry to hear about the passing of your father. Yes - its very hard. I may have to take him to the vet but unfortunately our dog recently died at the vet - she had a splenic tumour that ruptured and my other dog this week required surgery on an ulcer on his eye so financially ruined atm!! But Jax, the cat is otherwise appearing to be very healthy and happy

Suzie bee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are the litters all definitely unscented? Many of the higher end litter, although labeled unscented or frgrance free, have residual chemicals from facilities conjointly used with perfumed litters. I have had the best results with Cat&Co white zeolite unscented (kmart), Frisco unscented(Chewy) and Precious Kitty fragrance free (WalMart) and Arm&Hammer.
Once you have eliminated external irritation, you can begin investigating internal issues. Pain is a symptom & culprit; constipation and IBS/IBD are tricky issues to diagnose. The clues are in the stools and the behaviors. Stool consistency is key evidence as is watching for signs of straining, rectal "winking", dashing off and urgent licking.
Meanwhile, I would put down puppy pads topped with a small mound of litter adjacent to the box (human incontinence pads work well and often caregivers have excess inventory at a good price) to try to reintroduce using litter. And make sure there is no corn or wheat in the food; gravy flavor wet foods have gluten added as thickeners but you can thin pates with water or broth.
Please keep us updated and BLESS YOU for taking in your mother's cat - you are honoring your mom in the very best possible way by giving her beloved pet love, comfort and sanctuary in his time of loss. I wish that more people were as loving as you are!:heartshape::catlove::angel3:
Thank you. Ive tried many litters and the one in using atm is called wee kitty which has won awards and ticks all the boxes re unscented, odor control, flushable, clumping and not coloured. I'm convinced he is healthy as he did the same when living with mum and she had him at the vet and given a clean bill of health.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. He does go in his box to urinate and on occasion defecates outside his box but Ive never caught him doing it!
This is a suggestion for when litter training kittens, but when he goes outside the box, try putting it in the box and letting him see/smell it. Maybe he just needs a reminder of where it needs to go.

Suzie bee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday, whilst in the laundry cleaning out litter trays, and feeding all three cats, Jax ate then immediately went to his litter tray, went in, hopped out . I placed him back in the litter tray, he peed. I praised him, he hopped out and as soon as I turned my back he pooped on the tiles of the laundry floor! He KNEW it was wrong because he immediately hid around the corner. I purposely didn't get overly worked up, only said 'oh Jax!' and the look on his face he definitely knew he did the wrong thing. I cleaned it, and today walked back into the laundry to find another surprise in the same spot!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried putting a 2nd litter box right beside the first one? Some cats like to pee in one, and poop in another.

Suzie bee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Certainly have.
Ive tried smaller boxes, larger boxes, separate, together, in different places, different litters... arrrgh!!!!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suzie, so sorry about the loss of your Mom and so happy you're willing to figure this out and keep this guy. (We had a "Jax" as well!)

By any chance is he de-clawed?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't you wish cats could talk, and tell us what's on their minds. :sigh:

I'm not sure what else to suggest, other than when you clean up his "accidents" put it in the litter box, and then put him in the litter box, and use his paw to cover it.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thought--
Our cat with IBD like problems would pee in a box but would poop right next to it. He MUCH prefers pelleted litters to clumping litter..
He later developed asthma, which I seriously think he was having problems with earlier as he would hop in the box, pee, cover it, and jump out and poo.
I think any litter that had any kind of dust (even the 99% dust free litters still stir up dust!) caused him issues. JMO.
Covered boxes were worse.
If this guy is declawed and has been having this issue since he was little living at your Moms, I wonder if it's a problem with remembering declawing discomfort after his surgery as occasionally declawed cats develop some aversion to the litter box after surgery.

Suzie bee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Suzie, so sorry about the loss of your Mom and so happy you're willing to figure this out and keep this guy. (We had a "Jax" as well!)

By any chance is he de-clawed?
Hi. No Jax hasn't been declawed. :)