Deep Sleep Eyes Open?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! My 1.5 year old kitty Morton near gives me a heart attack sometimes. He will be just passed out eyes all the way open in the middle of the floor unresponsive. Sometimes I shake him and call his name and he stays asleep twitching a bit but god forbid someone walking by outside he hears and jumps up from a footstep and not me! I was combing out his feet tonight (he gets litter stuck and doesnt clean himself ever) he was just awake before I went to grab the comb and did the little twisty comfy turn how cats do before they go to sleep and I was combing out his foot and his eyes open and he was sleeping! He woke up mid way through the comb like woah lady what are you doin.

Anyone else's cats do this? He is chronically ill and on meds but I'm not sure if that can cause it. He's on atopica pills

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My girl will sometimes fall asleep with her eyes open and they will stay part way open for a good amount of time. I wouldn't say wide open, that I've noticed, but at least half way open. I can usually tell she's asleep more so because her third eyelid starts to creep out then anything else. For her, it's a habit she picked up on the streets as a kitten. I know my boy has sleep walked/groomed himself before. Or at least, I strongly suspect it because he will be sound asleep then suddenly groom his tail or side or move across the room and fall over twitching in his sleep seconds later.

I'd get a vet check including blood work on your boy just to be on the safe side. Especially since he is on medication for something. But if the vet is comfortable, I wouldn't worry too much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girl will sometimes fall asleep with her eyes open and they will stay part way open for a good amount of time. I wouldn't say wide open, that I've noticed, but at least half way open. I can usually tell she's asleep more so because her third eyelid starts to creep out then anything else. For her, it's a habit she picked up on the streets as a kitten. I know my boy has sleep walked/groomed himself before. Or at least, I strongly suspect it because he will be sound asleep then suddenly groom his tail or side or move across the room and fall over twitching in his sleep seconds later.

I'd get a vet check including blood work on your boy just to be on the safe side. Especially since he is on medication for something. But if the vet is comfortable, I wouldn't worry too much.
Thanks for the input! I'm a vet assistant at a cat only clinic. With his disease he has been having a complete blood count once every 3 weeks all of his life. His medication is handling his disease quite well right now and they never seemed concerned when I told them just "he sure is a weird one". Everyone loves him there he is just so sweet and very special. I wonder if it is because he seems very predator like unlike my other cat. Morton (the one I'm talking about here) is always very very spooked. Very slow and cautious. Obsessively tries to hide and bury his food. No 3rd eye lid open either just his whole eye!! So scary looking. Maybe it has to do with his extra predator type personality.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat often leaves his eyes slightly open while sleeping. When he does, you can usually see the third eyelid there. And if he is in rem sleep, you can see the eyes moving constantly.