Declawing

patsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would never declaw any of my cats for any reason. I have a tough time finding homes for my rescues because the adoption contract stipulates "no declawing". I am advertising for my newest babies that are now up for adoption and one lady had the nerve to say to me "You don't expect me not to declaw a kitten when I have a small child to be concerned about." I wanted to ask her "If the child squeezes the kitten, are you going to chop off her hands". Of course I didn't. I just thanked her for calling.

I'm angry at the vets, including mine, who do not educate the public. They actually encourage the declawing. It makes me ill. I'm am seriously considering trying to find a vet in my area who doesn't believe in mutilating animals. Overall my pets might get better care from someone like that. All my vets see are the dollars involved I don't understand how a vet can go to school to learn how to save animals and yet practice the worst form of mutilation on a cat. Can someone explain that to me?

My vet had 2 cats that were declawed. He kept them at the office and they began spraying so he had to find somewhere else for them to live. I offered to take them to live in my back yard because everytime I went in the office they were locked up in a cage. Both of them are biters. They won't let you touch them without biting you. They have never been abused, but seem to have this fear of being touched and feel they have to bite you. Needless to say, I talk to them alot, but touch them a little.

I know their personality flaws are due to their declawing.

I have 11 cats in my house at any one time and a brand new sofa and chair, that replaced the others that were 10 years old. I've only had one cat who wanted to scratch the sofa and after wearing soft paws for awhile she lost the urge to scratch the sofa. I guess she figured her nails weren't doing the trick for her! She is a Persian rescue that someone found on the street and turned into the shelter. I see why she most probably was on the street. The poor thing most probably had nothing but the couch to scratch and her owners threw her out.

I have a scratching post in every room and they get used a lot. By the way, sisal is better than carpet for anyone who doesn't already know that.

How can we get this country's views on cropping, docking, declawing and other forms of intentional mutilation changed? Anyone have any ideas?

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Patsy-I think we may have an easier time ending the practice of cropping and docking than the practice of declawing. Since cropping and docking are often required by many breed standards for showing, if the organizations were to make them "illegal" for the breeds, I think they would slowly disappear.

I believe that many people still see declawing as a safety (I don't want my kids scratched) or money (I don't want my very expensive Italian leather sofa scratched) issue. And these beliefs are going to be hard to change. I mean, I just found out on Friday that my boss is afraid of black cats, and thinks they are bad luck! He's a highly intelligent MD/PhD, but still holds this illogical belief. How could you convince someone like him that declawing is not surgery but mutilation?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the most part, people have already made their minds up when it comes to declawing. Unless they come to this board or one like it and read the horror stories behind the amputation on claws, most people are uneducated about the issue. There was one gal who came on a board about a year ago and started going on and on about all the fine furniture she has, and what a shame her daughter brought home a kitten. She wanted to know all there was to know about people with declawed kitties. It didn't matter the links she was sent, or how many people yelled and screamed or gently tried to persuade her that declawing was wrong. She went ahead and had the kitty declawed because of the Persian rugs she had in the house, as well as all the fine furniture she had she just had to "save." Why she came on in the first place to ask questions is beyond me, she had already decided to have this baby's claws removed.
Some people just don't give a rat's ass. For me......CAT stands for Claws And Teeth!

patsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As I mentioned early I'm having a difficult time placing my beautiful kittens because I tell the proscpective owner declawing is not allowed. As long as some people put a sofa, chair or rug in higher regard than an animallife, nothing will change. So sad.