Declawing

poeski

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read several posts recently about declawing and how much it upsets people. Many people have told me that they would only take a cat if it was declawed, or they want to get their cats declawed, that type stuff. I have never agreed with this. I also thought, and still do, that this is a very cruel thing to do. I imagined getting my own nails ripped off as that being kind of the same thing. Maybe not as painful, but in a way similar. I'm happy to hear that many others feel the same way about this. People have told me that I was dumb not to declaw my cats. I always think, if they do get out, I'd want them to have their claws to protect themselves if they needed. You never know when your cat can escape and I would feel horrible if I had gotten them declawed and then they couldn't defend themselves and something horrible happens. One thing I am not too sure about is the effects it causes. For those who are knowledgable about this....I am interested in finding out so that I can tell people about it. Thanks!

badhabit

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is said that cats who are declawed become mean. I've found cats who are declawed learn that they don't have their front claws and learn to use their teeth.

I'm not so sure it makes them mean or at least I've never seen a difference in a declawed cat before and after but the mean ones who get declawed because they scratch their owners start to bite so I can see why it's thought that they turn mean.

I DO think they remember the stay at the doctor's. I've seen plently of cats who are nice and friendly when they come in and then they get declawed and they're not the nice calm kitties at the vet's office they once were.:paranoid3

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, declawing isn't just removal of the cats claws, their knuckle joints are amputated.When they wake up from the anestesia they sometimes throw themselves against the bars of the cage in agony- there have even been cases where a cat has chewed off its own paw to try to get rid of the pain.

They often have behavioral problems after the surgery such as failure to use the litterbox (it hurts their paws too much), biting, and agression/fear of people. A once social, loving cat can turn into a terrified, pathetic creature after declaw surgery.

This is a great site to check out for more info, actual pics of the surgery and horror stories of botched surgeries or difficult recoveries. Beware, its very graphic. Pass this info on to anyone who tells you they're getting their cat declawed, you may be able to save even just one poor cat from this fate

Declawing Information Site

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poeski

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG!!! That's horrible. I had no idea what exactly went into it. I would love to check the site for info on it, but honestly I don't think I could stand it. Besides the fact that I am quite squimish, it makes me so sad to see and hear about poor cats that are hurt. So I think for now, I will stay on these forums for info about declawing, but thank you both and whoever else replies for the insight you have given me. I will be telling everyone I know about what exactly happens to these poor creatures. Hopefully I can save a few from this horrible fate.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I of course am way over to the right on the issue and think it's unacceptable to declaw. I have more than 2 hands worth of cats in this house and all my furniture is untouched.
I believe that Tufts University has done some minor studies on the effects of declawing. Everything they say backs up all of the con's to declawing. However, it's not out there for everyone to read and see. As long as there are vets out there willing to do anything to make a buck, people won't get the real explanation of what the surgery is.

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had both declawed and non declawed cats.
I think the procedure is horrid, and unfortunatly not enough people really know what goes on.

I'm just glad that there are so many shelters and rescue agencys out there which will not adopt out a cat if you want to declaw it.
I have the same policy.

sydney the kid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do not care why people do this ; but in my opinion it is THE MOST CRUEL THING TO DO !!!!
. This makes me so mad !!!
WHY WHY WHY ??????

G

ghostuser

I'm against declawing, the procedure is horrible... our cats will keep theirs, no matter how much they scratch! Cat isn't a cat without nails!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, there are vets out there who actually recommend getting cats declawed. I know from experience, and I regret taking my vet's advice every day. They do not explain the procedure (they told me they were just removing the nail bed, not amputating the knuckle), and do not disclose ANY side effects of the procedure. My kitty's paws got infected and I almost lost my precious kitten because the vet wanted to make some extra cash off an uninformed first-time cat owner. I am lucky - my cat does not have any of the behavioural issues associated with the procedure, and so far no health problems.

The best way to keep people from declawing their cats is to educate them. Most people won't do that to their beloved pet if they actually know what the procedure is and what the side effects can be. Vets won't always tell them what is really involved.

jeff24girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got my new ball of fur about a week ago. I have been doing alot of reading on care/health/nutrition/behavior etc of my new little guy. I have had several dogs and a cat once when I was very young, so I considered myself to be a novice with cats. From what I have read on several different websites, I will NEVER delcaw my cat. Amputation of the knuckles, and hence removal of the nail, is exactly what is done in this procedure. How painful must that be for this little one? I have also read that cats can suffer personality disorders, become overly aggressive, and in some cases the claws grow back and are extremely deformed and hard to take care of and/or remove again. I believe that this is not only extremely cruel, but if my little guy (who will remain an indoor cat) ever did get out into the world, he would have no way to defend himself because of what "I" had done in an effort to either save money by not buying him the proper scratching toys/furniture or because someone told me it was the "thing to do". Keep your kitty's nails clipped short, buy them scratch pads or posts and they should be fine.

spacecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Amen! to all of the above. My mother and sister declawed their cats (I almost stopped speaking to them). My mother's cat became a biter. My sister's cat is very timid and fearful of people. I can't help but wonder.......

Furniture can eventually be replaced, but a little life that depends on you for comfort and safety is far more important than a couch or a chair. If someone is so concerned about a cat ruining their furniture, they should get a dog.

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also agree that declawing is cruel and inhumane. My rental company requires that any pet cat be fixed AND declawed. I just haven't clued them into the fact that my cat isn't declawed. I would much rather lose my security deposit and have to move than to put my cat through being declawed.

I have one other thought-is the scratching problem that cats 'supposedly' have exaggerated? I grew up with three cats, and have one of my own now. Only one ever scratched, and that was because my Dad doesn't mind Pumpkin scratching. My cat was a stray, and I have no idea what her background was, but she has shown no desire. In fact, her scratching post isn't used for scratching, but for hiding behind when we play with the cat dancer.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the scratching problem is exaggerated, in general. There are some cats that do, I'm sure. My girl, who is not declawed, has never had a problem scratching anything she wasn't supposed to. When she did scratch on something we didn't want her to, we just told her no and if she didn't stop she got a squirt of water. I think we squirted her once. The biggest problem is the myth that cats can't be trained. People think that cats will always scratch furniture and since you can't reason with them the only option to save furniture is declawing.

I can't believe your rental company requires cats to be declawed! Even if a cat has a scratching problem, its YOUR furniture that is ruined. I understand being fixed, but I can't believe that there has been that much damage from cats on their properties to require declawing.

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
valanhb-

I know, I was surprised that they required declawing, too. The only thing that I can think of is that they own a large number of buildings, including some really new and fancy ones. Carpeting is standard in those. They must have one policy for all tenants in every building. But it's funny, I've done more damage to my wood floor from moving furniture while cleaning than a whole posse of cats could ever do.

jaid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive had my kidden for a few weeks now, and since day one, a day has not gone by that my hands/arms/shoulders/legs/feet havent been scratched up. She has terrifyingly sharp nails and draws blood quite easily. She jumps on some of the cardboard boxes that have been 'designed' for her (kitty holes cut out for her to enter/exit through) and can plant her claws right into the cardboard, and climb up a 4' tall box. Ive been around cats with sharp claws before, but hers are impressively lethal. Even after all the bloodshed by me, not once have I considered declawing an option. Afterall, its probably my own fault for holding her mouse by the tail(at times i think she attacks my hand intentionally instead of the mouse, as she has learned once the hand stops moving, the mouse does as well). If she wanted to have at the furniture, it wouldnt really bother me, as I dont have anything _that_ nice. But even with free reign to do so, she hasnt displayed any behavior like that at all. She is perfectly content shredding paper, kleenex, cardboard, sisal rope, and anything else she can find and run off with before i can catch her.

Declawing may be a viable option in some instances, but I dont think domestic kitty ownership is one of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poeski

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My rental agreement also states that a cat must be declawed. Obviously, mine are not. Only a few of my scratch at the furniture. Peanut does it when she is excited and playful, she'll sit on the arm rest of the couch and scratch all crazy like at it. Mazzy uses the couch to dig her claws into and stretch. I purposely got a couch from a local salvation army store. I was cheap and I wouldn't mind it getting a little torn up. I have noticed though that some cats do claw at the carpet on the floor. I think apartments have that rule is to not only protect their carpets, but also to protect doors and walls, if the cat tends to scratch those. But I'm sure that if someone had a cat and didn't want to get it declawed, they would be willing to pay a little extra of a security deposit or be willing to pay for any damages caused. Fixing scratched doors, walls, and carpets is a lot easier to do and deal with then hurting a poor cat or kitty.

jeff24girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This may sound like a ridiculous question, but since I am a new first-time cat owner, at what age do they start this scratching if they do? My little guy is 6 1/2 weeks old and the only thing I have seen him scratch is his ears (we found out he has ear mites on our first trip to the vet!). Other than that, he doesn't scratch. I know that they mainly scratch to sharpen and or/ remove dead claw so I anticipate that he will at some point, so we are going shopping for a scratch pad/post today! Hope to have a pic of Buddy to post soon.

jeff24girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too had some evidence on my arms/hands that I had just gotten a new kitty. Have you clipped kitty's nails yet? I had Buddy for 4 days before he got his first manicure and it made all the difference in the world. Gone are the lethal talons of yesterday! Now he can paw at me all he wants (within reason and there are still limitations!) but when he places his paw on my cheek (it's SO adorable) I don't mind now because he's not leaving a blood trail! Buddy got his first manicure at the vets office so that I could observe the proper way to trim his nails, and I bought a clipper and intend to keep them nicely trimmed from now on. It appears to be a 2 person job so I'll have to employ the help of my boyfriend for manicure day! Good luck with your new ball of fur!

jaid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I havent in fact had a chance to trim her nails. Just one more thing that makes my flesh wounds my own fault

I have been preparing her for a nail clipping, shes pretty good about letting me play with her toes and stretch her claws out. One of these days ill snatch her up from a kitty nap and give it a go. Im pretty sure it would be fairly pointless to even try when she is doing anything other than sleeping.