Declawing

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Regarding declawing and my perspective. First, decades ago there was a cat that was going to be put down and my SIL took her in. She was so viscious they declawed her. Did it help? Well honestly the problem remained almost the same. The difference is she wouldn't be put down. She couldn't lash out with her nails at least..So they kept her. So in that case I guess it was warranted, but that's a rare case imo.

We had some cats growing up. There was no informative dialog about declawing like there is today. Still, in my mind I thought this was outrageous to do unless under very specific circumstances.

Now the full story comes out about how they actually declaw cats.. Backtracking now to my original view. I thought how can you cut nails out of an animal which is part of their instinctual nature to have nails for a number of reasons and to defend themselves. They are taking away their sense of self. Unless medically necessary I wouldn't want any part of me removed and likewise that should hold true for an animal.

I was a teen back then and I liked animals but not like I do now and even back then this made no sense to me. I knew there was something very wrong with this practice yet vets performed it and to this day they still do and what bothers me is that they don't always inform people of the complete ramifications of the declawing procedure, medically and mentally.

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, declawing was as well encouraged as neutering and usually it was done at the same time. My cats when I was a kid were declawed, and we had biters and cats that would pee and poop outside the box all the time.
I remember one cat, if she got mad, she'd swat you with her paw, but then curl that paw in your hand and pull it close so she could bite.
I'll take being clawed over being bit!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sadly, not only does declawing NOT help behavioral issues, it causes even more, BUT...you said "decades" ago. It was a different time, with radically different thinking. Now you know, and help educate others so that they don't make the same mistake that your family member did. In her defense, as I said, it decades ago, we did not know then what we know now, and the cat did live. There wasn't much going on with cat behavior issues back then, so they did what they could to save her. NOW, you could just send them here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly, not only does declawing NOT help behavioral issues, it causes even more, BUT...you said "decades" ago. It was a different time, with radically different thinking. Now you know, and help educate others so that they don't make the same mistake that your family member did. In her defense, as I said, it decades ago, we did not know then what we know now, and the cat did live. There wasn't much going on with cat behavior issues back then, so they did what they could to save her. NOW, you could just send them here!
No it didn't but declawing did not stop her from lashing out and scratching. To my sister in laws defense she has 5 cats now and a dog. She has 5 grown children who grew up around many cats and "other" animals. Snooty no matter what you did with her was so viscous and like I said other folks were going to put her down and my sister in law rescued her. Her lashing out and scratching was the main issue. So while I'm firm about not declawing but there are rare circumstances that I consider.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very rare circumstances, perhaps. I hate it personally but AT VERY LEAST many vets do laser declawing nowadays and educate before just doing it.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I know someone who declawed their cat just because the cat was "destroying" furniture. It was heartbreak to pet him and rub his little paws and feel those bits missing. Even just looking at his paws, it's as if someone mutilated him.

Anyway, it is important to have these conversations now and spread our knowledge on the matter to those who don't know so much or nothing at all.

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
People are gradually becoming more and more educated, fortunately thanks to people like yourself, and this site :)
Thank you, unfortunately some places don't allow for "awareness". Some people assume that people will understand this topic, but they won't unless they look it up. And if they look is up and it's banned it isn't going educate people.

There are many things I was and am ignorant about. But I might know subjects someone else doesn't know and the other way around. The key is informing each other, not putting people down because OMG you don't know X? Whether we end up agreeing or not I think it's important to have respectful communication.

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very rare circumstances, perhaps. I hate it personally but AT VERY LEAST many vets do laser declawing nowadays and educate before just doing it.
Laser declawing? It seems like a fancy way that says I'll cut your limbs off but it's with a laser so all is good.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats are declawed. I didn't declaw them but I adopt elderly cats. I've noticed both of them, especially my pudgy one, have an inclination to massage everything. Pillows, my lap, my dog, each other. I've read declawed cats do it more. They are both great cats but I've noticed they are less confident than my parents' cats or my brother's cat. Seems like, for me, when I was looking for elderly cats to adopt, almost all were declawed. This sounds disturbing, but imagine if all your fingernails and toenails were pulled out. Eeek

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This sounds disturbing, but imagine if all your fingernails and toenails were pulled out. Eeek
It isn't even pulling them out...it's lopping the fingers and toes off at the first knuckle. And cats are ballet dancers by nature...they carry their weight on their toes.

Her lashing out and scratching was the main issue. So while I'm firm about not declawing but there are rare circumstances that I consider.
Which is why I did defend her choice. At that point in time, NOTHING was being done with cats insofar as behavior modification. It was declaw or put down. She did the best she could with the available alternatives AT THAT TIME.

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats are declawed. I didn't declaw them but I adopt elderly cats. I've noticed both of them, especially my pudgy one, have an inclination to massage everything. Pillows, my lap, my dog, each other. I've read declawed cats do it more. They are both great cats but I've noticed they are less confident than my parents' cats or my brother's cat. Seems like, for me, when I was looking for elderly cats to adopt, almost all were declawed. This sounds disturbing, but imagine if all your fingernails and toenails were pulled out. Eeek
Exactly, cats nails are for protection and hunting which is in their nature. I've heard of declawing cats because of their critical medical needs which is completely understandable. We need to try to do what's the very best for the welfare of our cats.

Actually I had an infection and my toenail recently fell off and it was painful! Because of chronic and painful infections my grandmother actually made the decision to have all of her toenails removed.

So I realize things aren't as cut and dry as that, but I think people need to be more educated on declawing other than because of medical reasons. I think vets who practice this need to step up and inform people of how this can truly affect their cat and that it may cause them medical problems, aggression and depression.

I applaud you for adopting elderly cats, they have the hardest time finding homes, thank you. Our co-op allows only 2 cats, I'd opt for a third, and an elderly cat this time. We do have a rescue rabbit though. I'm thinking of writing the board to push for a 3rd cat so I'm hoping that will possible in the future.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exactly, cats nails are for protection and hunting which is in their nature. I've heard of declawing cats because of their critical medical needs which is completely understandable. We need to try to do what's the very best for the welfare of our cats.

Actually I had an infection and my toenail recently fell off and it was painful! Because of chronic and painful infections my grandmother actually made the decision to have all of her toenails removed.

So I realize things aren't as cut and dry as that, but I think people need to be more educated on declawing other than because of medical reasons. I think vets who practice this need to step up and inform people of how this can truly affect their cat and that it may cause them medical problems, aggression and depression.

I applaud you for adopting elderly cats, they have the hardest time finding homes, thank you. Our co-op allows only 2 cats, I'd opt for a third, and an elderly cat this time. We do have a rescue rabbit though. I'm thinking of writing the board to push for a 3rd cat so I'm hoping that will possible in the future.
Yeah they are 8 and 10 and doing great! Older cats are sooo much more cuddly in my opinion.....maybe not as playful..
But cuddly. They love to snuggle.

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah they are 8 and 10 and doing great! Older cats are sooo much more cuddly in my opinion.....maybe not as playful..
But cuddly. They love to snuggle.
I love snugglers!

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It isn't even pulling them out...it's lopping the fingers and toes off at the first knuckle. And cats are ballet dancers by nature...they carry their weight on their toes.

Which is why I did defend her choice. At that point in time, NOTHING was being done with cats insofar as behavior modification. It was declaw or put down. She did the best she could with the available alternatives AT THAT TIME.
Good point considering the time frame. Both my sister in law's are animal advocates, now she has 5 cats and takes care of a feral. She also has a St Bernard. The cats and the dog have had a lot of medical bills but they take care of it and even supply supplements and whatever it takes to take care of them. My other sister in law takes care of 9 ferals who come around her pool. She had them all trapped and fixed through the town program. So in hindsight a cat like Snooty probably would've been put down.
Good point considering the time frame. Both my sister in law's are actually animal advocates, I just didn't understand the declawing. Now she has 5 cats and takes care of a feral. She also has a St Bernard. The cats and the dog have had a lot of medical bills but they take care of it and even supply supplements and whatever it takes to take care of them. They also have funeral services for them when the pass away. My other sister in law takes care of 9 ferals who come around her pool. She had them all trapped and fixed through the town program. So in hindsight a cat like Snooty probably would've been put down.