declawed cat what cat litter is best?

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I currently don't own any cats at the moment but my mother in law has a cat she got him jan 13th this year he happened to be declawed for medical reasons and this cat used to be abused not by his late previous owner thou this cat was set on fire was thrown on walls etc his late previous owner asked my mother in law to take the cat in when she passed and she kept her promise so yea

anyway what kind of cat litter is best for declawed cats that is hardly dusty or dust free that helps with odor and wont brake the bank?

I want to help my mother in law to give Mischief the best life possible :)

My mother in law has breathing issues so it has to be dust free or hardly any for her sake 50+years old for my sons sake who is 3'1/2 mos old and Mischief's sake who is 4-5 years old

The reason why i'm asking this question because I know declawed cats paws hurt with most cat litters which makes them avoid the cat box i'm against declawing so is she.

he is such a sweet cat thou I meet him once very loving and he was meowing none stop under the recliner and my son would coo after each meow I think my son and the cat was talking to each other and every time my 3'1/2 month old son cried he would look at him with big saucer eyes like what in the would is that noise then he walked up to my son very slowly and sniffed his foot and walked away about a half an hour later I was feeding my son and Mischief jumped on the recliner I was setting on and started rubbing his head on my sons foot while he was eating then I showed him my sons hand and right when mischief was going to sniff his hand my son jumped which made him jump then the cat looked at him like what in the world was that lol he didn't show no aggressive signs at all towards my son I think he wanted him to pet him XD sorry got off topic there lol

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hi I currently don't own any cats at the moment but my mother in law has a cat she got him jan 13th this year he happened to be declawed for medical reasons and this cat used to be abused not by his late previous owner thou this cat was set on fire was thrown on walls etc his late previous owner asked my mother in law to take the cat in when she passed and she kept her promise so yea

anyway what kind of cat litter is best for declawed cats that is hardly dusty or dust free that helps with odor and wont brake the bank?

I want to help my mother in law to give Mischief the best life possible :)

My mother in law has breathing issues so it has to be dust free or hardly any for her sake 50+years old for my sons sake who is 3'1/2 mos old and Mischief's sake who is 4-5 years old

The reason why i'm asking this question because I know declawed cats paws hurt with most cat litters which makes them avoid the cat box i'm against declawing so is she.

he is such a sweet cat thou I meet him once very loving and he was meowing none stop under the recliner and my son would coo after each meow I think my son and the cat was talking to each other and every time my 3'1/2 month old son cried he would look at him with big saucer eyes like what in the would is that noise then he walked up to my son very slowly and sniffed his foot and walked away about a half an hour later I was feeding my son and Mischief jumped on the recliner I was setting on and started rubbing his head on my sons foot while he was eating then I showed him my sons hand and right when mischief was going to sniff his hand my son jumped which made him jump then the cat looked at him like what in the world was that lol he didn't show no aggressive signs at all towards my son I think he wanted him to pet him XD sorry got off topic there lol
OMG what an incredibly sad story! Bless you and your MIL for caring about this once abused cat. I hope he lives out his golden years happy, healthy and pampered under your family's care. 

I've never personally dealt with this issue, but I heard most litters (clay, clumping, wood) are painful for declawed cats. The little hard pieces really dig into their paws and can cause them a lot of pain. Yesterday's News or other similar paper litter are much softer and easier on their ultra-sensitive paws as they step on it, and there are no tiny hard granules that can dig into their paws. That's also good news for your MIL who has breathing issues and cannot use anything with dust as the paper litter are the ones that truly have virtually no dust. We all know that even the "99% dust-free" litters can create a good amount of dust depending on how they're handled, but paper litter is the most dust-free.

Best of luck to you and your MIL and her new cat. You both sound like very patient and kind people for taking in this once suffering little boy. As a rescuer, foster and an adopter of furbabies, I'd like to personally thank you both for giving him a chance at a happy life. You get the good that you give, and I'm sure you have a lot of good coming your way. 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have found that sWheatScoop is a good litter for declawed cats.  It is very soft, like flour, and it doesn't have any fly-away dust, although it may track some so you may want to get a special anti-tracking rug to go under the litter box.  be sure to transition cat litters slowly, because if your cat is not familiar with this litter, he may not recognize it as litter.

Another good non-dusty and very soft litter is one I use after neuter/spay surgery and it is made out of recycled paper but not in pellets  It is Exquisicat Paper Litter and it is in soft crumbles a lot like small animal cage bedding.  It does need to be kept very clean and doesn't deodorize as well as sWheat Scoop in my opinion, but since I dump the entire litter pan daily when I'm dealing with a post surgical cat, it's great for that use.