Declawed Cat Keeps His Paws Up

zemiq1982

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everybody, I wasn't sure which forum to post this in. I hope I made the right choice... not sure if it's a health issue or a behavior issue.

I recently adopted a kitty from the shelter who was declawed, his name is Mr. Reese. I have noticed that he has a tendency to sit and hold one of his front paws curled up in the air, like sitting or standing on 3 legs instead of 4. The surgery has long since healed, so I'm sure it's something that was done when he was young, not shortly before I adopted him. 

He's 4. He runs around and plays with the other cats, no limping. Just, he curls up his feet every now and then (not even every time he is sitting or standing still, but he does it everyday at least once). He doesn't like being held much, but he loves to snuggle, make biscuits, and if he's relaxed, he will even let me touch the pads of his feet. 

Is this something that he just does, or could this be related to him being declawed? I haven't had a declawed cat since I was a little girl. Does he need to go to the vet for this? I recently took him because he was winking one of his eyes, but completely forgot to ask the vet about it.

Thank you!

As a side note, my vet thinks he's a male calico. Is this true? He doesn't look like what I'd consider a calico, but she said he has all the fur colors (most of the orange is in his undercoat, the fur starts orange and then turns into kind of a striped black/gray and white, and he has a small patch of orange on the inside of one of his back legs). Either way, he's very handsome, as you can see! It's hard to get good pics because the lighting in our house is so bad, but I thought he looked very unique when I adopted him. 

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mr. Reece is a handsome boy. Declawing is a nasty procedure that takes the toes at the first knuckle. That makes for a really tough adjustment for a cat. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get that checked out.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OMG, he looks just like my sisters cat Ash (also a boy).

Anywho, it wouldn't be surprising to me if he has either a sensitivity or lingering pain from the declawing. While I realize you didn't do the declawing, so this statement is in now way aimed at you, it is a painful and idiotic procedure. My uneducated assumption is they cut too closely to the remaining bones on the indicated paw and there may be exposed nerves that make it more painful when that paw hits the ground. Or some sort of nerve damage or long lasting numbness that makes it feel odd to put down fully so he keeps pressure off it to prevent the sensation. I had nerve damage to a toe from an ingrown toenail and it took a good 3-4 years for it to fully resolve and even now it feels off but at least I can feel it. 

My other theory is that immediately following the surgery that paw was more sensitive for whatever reason and he got in the habit of holding it up because of that. While the sensitivity may be gone he still retains the habit because cats are such strong adheres to habits. It could be he doesn't notice he does it at all or thinks the sensitivity is still present so does it to prevent a pain that no longer exists. I am hoping more for this theory as it is rooted in habit rather than an actual ongoing problem.

Other than giving him some pain medication to see if it stops the habit I don't know of a way to stop or prevent it.

I don't feel it warrants a special vet visit but maybe make a note of it for next routine visit. This is of course assuming there is no redness or swelling on the paw or other signs of illness. I doubt there is from what you've said. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zemiq1982

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the advice. Seeing as he doesn't seem to be acting in pain, I will make sure to keep it on a list for the next time he goes to the vet.

I actually didn't even realize he was declawed when I adopted him. I had my eye on a cute siamese, but Mr. Reese had his eye on me. I walked by his cage and he reached out and grabbed my arm. I took the siamese into a room first, but I couldn't get Mr. Reese out of my head, so they brought him in too. He was so terrified of the shelter, I ended up taking him home instead! I felt so bad about leaving the siamese behind I went back the next day against my boyfriend's wishes to adopt him too, but thankfully he was in the process of getting adopted when I showed up!

But I digress. I will continue to watch him. It seems to me like it's more of a habitual thing. I really don't want to have to give him pills everyday, though I certainly would if he was hurting.

I am glad I got him though. If you're going to put your cat through such a horrid experience as declawing, the least you can do is actually keep them! But I try not to judge... I do not know the situation that caused the owner to surrender, and he's safe and sound in his forever home now!

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another possible cause is, when the surgery is performed, sometimes even the smallest amt of nail bed is left behind, which can cause an actual nail to grow, and it's usually growing in to the paw pad somewhere, so if I were you I would do what I can to figure out why he does this. It is not normal to hold one paw up like he does.

If money for vetting is an issue, at least work on getting him comfortable enough to allow you to feel it, squeeze it like you would to get the nails if they were there fully exposed like you would if you were going to trim them, see how he reacts to as much squeezing, feeling between the pads, massage the paw in your fingers, watch for a jerk reaction to a particular way you handle the paw.

Declawing should be illegal everywhere, simply banned. Horrific.

kiraraandfamily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a rescue declaw cat . She does not hold her paws up, but don't like to hold, her paws swell after playing, licks and chew after touching and playing, she aggressive toward us after playing, has a hump back, sleep with heating pad during winter to ease swelling in paws and after playing, fear of highs from balance off, her legs is bow, shakes the paws after touched and out in the cold, and timid around everyone. 

Yes, she is a inside cat , but goes out on the porch with supervision. Please go to thepawproject.org and learn more about declaw( toe amputated) cats or claw pets. Yes, dog get declaw to not dew claw,but declaw.

Declaw pets will get worse with age. 

our cat is 7 yrs old , and she pees stand up from pain of squatting.

kiraraandfamily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most people don't know declaw is toe amputation. It's up to us anti declaw people to spread the word. Most vets will lie to clients to make a fast buck from declaw.

I don't like to judge others, but when it come to animal welfare rights. I fight for the voiceless. AVMA also promote this horrific surgery to keep the money flowing . AVMA threat anti vets and business to turn the other cheek to keep the declaw legal. Go to citythekitty.com to for more declaw advice.

I glade he got a happy home and he is lucky to be alive.

Declaw cats suffer like humans with limps cut off. Go and talk to someone whom as limps cut off . Just because it's a cat , don't mean it suffer like humans do. We are all mammals to. 

What the use of a nerves system in all living being , if it don't feel pain.

We  rescue our declaw rescue before thrown into the streets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zemiq1982

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found out what declawing really was when I was a teenager. So when I got MY second cat, I refused to let him be declawed. I did the Soft Paws glue on things. I think ed they messed up his claw shedding on a couple toes, and I had to help clip them well after I was done using them... but they saved his feet when I had to move back in with my dad.

I didn't even realize Mr. Reese was declawed when I adopted because he was too scared to want to be held or petted. But that wouldn't have changed my mind. He's a character and we love him. He doesn't like being held still, but he loves his cuddle time.

Thanks for the resources. He will be going in for a checkup pretty soon anyway and I will have them take a look at his feet as well.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The de-clawing practice just makes me mad.  Vets should be mandated to discourage this practice of mutilation!