Deck Hand brand at Whole foods - possibly early renal disease

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have a senior kitty 13/14 years. He’s never really been a too picky about eating but has never enjoyed an all wet diet. He used to eat more when I had my other cat who I lost in January to cancer. But this is because he was a competive cat that ate just so my other could not. This also caused him to vomit more undigested food because he ate so fast.

It has been nearly 3 months since my other guy passed. I’ve taken him in for routine check up and senior bloodwork and just and overall assessment after losing his brother. All is normal except my vet suspects early renal failure due to weight loss and increases urination along with some bloodwork levels that are still in normal range but susoect. My vet is not concerned too much yet but he did lose a bit of weight the last three months. She wanted him on an all wet diet but he just doesn’t go for it. I am feeding him around 1 can of hills metabolic and 1/2 cup of the dry. He just doesn’t seem as interested in the last bit of food he should be getting.
i was going to try feeding him some deck hand that he has liked in the past to get the extra calories. I’m not sure if this brand is good. It’s very stinky and I think he might go for it.

I don’t want him to lose more weight but I don’t want to pump him full of treats and loses more muscle.
Is this okay in moderation especially with early renal disease? I know it’s usually controlled with diet as best as can be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will mention we fostered a kitty due to shelter needs last month. They are separated and we have slowly started to introduce him but taking it really slow and no contact right now due to the new kitty getting over some issues she picked up at the shelter.
He doesn’t hiss anymore but I don’t think he likes being shut out of our bedroom and no doubt this stressed him out a bit but he has been eating right next to our bedroom.

I wonder if this is causes him some stress or depression since he doesn’t sleep in the bed. She is getting over worms so I do not want them sharing anything for the next two weeks until she’s clear. I’m afraid to swap areas even in case she gets him sick from anything she got at the shelter.

this was probably too much info for a food brand question. I have been extremely stressed about the well being of all my felines for the past six months. Apologies for all the posts

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If his blood work is still within normal ranges, then I think you're fine to feed any food he will eat. I've had three kidney cats, and our Vet told us the best thing is to get them to eat, period. None of mine would eat kidney food, so we just fed them what they wanted, and yes, wet food is best.

My guess is the the kitten is the stressor and why he is losing some weight, particularly since his bloodwork came back normal

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I’m guessing that too. He’s still adjusting. We are giving him lots of love. 💕

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had a chance to look up the ingredients in Deck Hand after I posted. Even if your guy were to go into early stage, I think it would be ok as it sounds like it's good quality highly digestible protein, which is what kidney cats need until the later stages when lower levels of protein may be warranted.

Lots of loving is the best medicine, especially when fostering a kitten. Mature cats normally find kittens a threat.

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awesome. Yeah I looked it up and it seemed decent for now. Taki has been adjusting pretty well and we have been taking it really slow so he doesn’t feel invaded! He doesn’t seem to pay her much attention. She’s also very submissive and just lays down when he comes near. Good thing so he still knows he rules the place. :) thank you!

Attachments