December 2022 Book of the Month Club - Christmas Short Stories 🎄

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
christmas short stories.jpg

As we did last year, we've decided to read Christmas short stories again this December. We've found 4 that sound interesting, and can be easily read online. The audio for 2 of them is also available online.

And because December can be busy, we'll be doing an abbreviated book club month again.

The reading period will be between December 1st and December 10th.
And the discussion approximately December 11th to December 15th.

Three of the stories are fairly short, and while the 4th one is longer, it still shouldn't take too long to read. However, if time is short (pun intended) you don't have to read all 4 stories. Reading just one, or two, or three is totally fine.

As always, everyone is invited to read along with us. You can either RSVP that you're going to read, by posting in this thread, or just join the discussion once it begins. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Here are the 4 short stories.

1. A Country Christmas by Louisa May Alcott
1667403826183.png

Read for free at Project Gutenberg: Proverb Stories by Louisa May Alcott
(note: the above link is to a collection of short stories by Louisa May Alcott.
A Country Christmas, is the 4th one)

2. A Kidnapped Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum
1667403460664.png

Read for free at Project Gutenberg: A Kidnapped Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum

The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
1667403227706.png

Read for free at Project Gutenberg: The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
Listen here: LibriVox

4. The Tailor of Gloucester by Beatrix Potter
1667404347447.png

Read for free at Project Gutenberg: The Tailor of Gloucester by Beatrix Potter
Listen here: LibriVox

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1669897004193.png

It's December, so time to read Christmas Short Stories!

All 4 can be read online, and the links are in the first post.

Since we want to wrap things up before everyone gets busy with the holidays, reading period will be Dec 1 to Dec 10, with the discussion from Dec 11 to Dec 15.

If time is already short, you don't have to read all 4 short stories. Just read one, and you can still participate.

Enjoy the short stories! I think one of them even has an appearance by a cat. :whiskers:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost forgot about this with everything going on! I will be reading one or more.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I remember my Dad reading "The Gift of the Magi" to me every Christmas Eve, since I can remember, up until...well, after I married, and we came back to my home for Christmas. I will certainly read at least that one!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looks interesting. I'll be reading this one with you guys.
Boris Diamond Boris Diamond : you still planning to join us?

I almost forgot about this with everything going on! I will be reading one or more.
pearl99 pearl99 : It's a busy time of year, for sure, but I think all but 1 of the short stories should be fairly quick reads.

I remember my Dad reading "The Gift of the Magi" to me every Christmas Eve, since I can remember, up until...well, after I married, and we came back to my home for Christmas. I will certainly read at least that one!
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 : Glad we chose a story that will bring back fond memories for you.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear! Don't say you haven't been warned. ⚠
You may have to ban me this month! I have read 3 of the 4 and am trying desperately to think positive.
The fourth - well, I gave up - but I may make another attempt, when I'm not in such a critical mood! 🤐

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent. The more the merrier. :)

Oh dear! Don't say you haven't been warned. ⚠
You may have to ban me this month! I have read 3 of the 4 and am trying desperately to think positive.
The fourth - well, I gave up - but I may make another attempt, when I'm not in such a critical mood! 🤐
gilmargl gilmargl : Hate to say it but ...
1669993032094.png

While we're doing the Debbie Downer thing... the free audio books are incredibly hit and miss; most of them are a miss, I'm afraid. :( I think these are best read. :)
That seems to happen a lot for you with our book club choices. Though, of course with short stories, it's probably just regular people reading them, not actual paid narrators. Hope you can find time to sit and read one of them anyway, so you can join the Christmas reading fun with us..

1669993000983.png

I have never actually read: A Gift of the Magi, but I know the story... interesting...
I don't think I've ever read it either, though like you I know the story. The audio for it shows it's only 13 minutes, so hopefully you'll have a chance to read it with us.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That seems to happen a lot for you with our book club choices. Though, of course with short stories, it's probably just regular people reading them, not actual paid narrators. Hope you can find time to sit and read one of them anyway, so you can join the Christmas reading fun with us..
Librivox is all volunteers. Anyone can narrate and upload. It's very hard to get a good one, unfortunately. It's a bit like karaoke.. you know how people think they sound wonderful, but... :lol:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:nono:
Nope! You don't know me at all, do you! Not Scrooge but Shrew!!!
1670097969371.png

I was brought up to be a little goody-goody tamed shrew: teacher's pet, desired daughter-in-law, would make a lovely teacher or nurse, so good with children! But I knew I was destined to be burnt at the stake, once I was allowed to be myself. Too scared to own up when I did anything wrong - everybody would be so disappointed in me. So I married someone who wanted such an obedient and quiet little woman. Well, the wild shrew finally emerged, the husband who had in fact only been a tamed rat, turned ino a rat and divorce was painful for a tamed shrew but, as a shrew, life has become so much more fun, honest and straightforward. So, forgive me if I cannot get excited about good boring little tamed shrews falling deeply in love at 18 with equally good, boring, but larger tamed rats and all expectng to live happily ever after! Sorry! :flail:I'm a cynic and quite happy to be so!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I read the Santa short story last night. It took about 20 minutes, so not very long.

I'm going to spread reading them out to last till the 10th, so will either read Gift of the Magi or Tailor of Gloucester today.

Anyone else read any yet?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My very dear gilmargl gilmargl ...by all means, claim your wild, and let the wild claim you!
View attachment 437975
Hey! I'm only a little wild shrew - not a tiger! But, I wish I looked just a little bit like the beautiful girl in the picture!

I've read all but "A Kidnapped Santa Claus" which I'm struggling with. No idea why - it can't be the language which is causing reader's block!