December 2021 book of the month club - Christmas Short Stories

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since December can be a busy month for a lot of us, last year we had an abbreviated book club month. By reading a shorter book (A Christmas Carol), in a shorter amount of time, and having a shorter discussion period, everything was wrapped up (pun not intended, LOL) by December 15th.

We’ve decided to do something similar this year, however, instead of reading a short book, we’re going to read 3 short stories. Two of them are very short, and though the third is longer, it still should not take too much time to read. And to make it easy for everyone to participate, we've chosen stories that can be read or listened to online.

1. A Child’s Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas

1635942102146.png

Read for free at Project Gutenberg: A Child's Christmas in Wales, by Dylan Thomas, free ebooks, ebook, etext
Listen here, read by the author:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFSs2IdDmuU
____________________________________________________________________________________________

2. The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Andersen
1635942244093.png

Read it here: Hans Christian Andersen : The Little Match Girl
Listen to it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp-aJr5Xy9A
____________________________________________________________________________________________

3. Christmas at Thompson Hall by Anthony Trollope
1635942370040.png

Read it here: Christmas at Thompson Hall by Anthony Trollope
Listen to it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fOt5__CTE8

We will be reading the short stories between December 1st and December 10th.

Discussion will be from approximately December 11th to December 15th.

As always, everyone is invited to read along with us. You can either RSVP that you're going to read, by posting in this thread, or just join the discussion once it begins. I think that covers everything, however, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awesome! I should be able to join in on this one.
Excellent. :)

It's good because we can read 1 2 or all of them.
Yes, good point. Only 1 story actually needs to be read, in order to participate in the discussion. But hopefully everyone will have a chance to read all 3. I've not read any of them before, so looking forward to it. :read:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1638366250274.png

It's December 1st, so time to start thinking about reading our 3 Christmas themed short stories. If your time is short, you only have to read one, to be able to join the discussion, however, they shouldn't take too long to read, so hopefully everyone will be able to read all three. We'll start the discussion on December 11th, so see you then. :hellocomputer:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
SPOILER Question about The Little Match Girl
Does The Little Match Girl Have a Happy Ending?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SPOILER Question about The Little Match Girl
Does The Little Match Girl Have a Happy Ending?
As I child I found the story terribly sad 😢and still do. If you are a Believer, the ending is still sad but at least hopeful!😥

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Haven't read any of them yet. All my reading time has to go into finishing Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone. It's a library loan, and I had 3 weeks to read it, but it's 900+ pages (1300+ in my e-reader) and with only 11 days left, I'm only at 37% read. :eek3: But will read the short stories in time for the discussion period.