December 2021 book of the month club - Christmas Short Stories

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still working on finishing that 1300 page book, so haven't gotten to the short stories yet. :paperbag:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sure you'll start them soon. 1300 pages, I'm impressed.
What book are you reading, rubysmama rubysmama ?
It's the 9th book in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series - Go Tell The Bees That I Am Gone. I think the hardcover book might be "only" 900-ish pages, but on my e-reader it converts to 1341 pages. I'm on page 1139 now, so "just" 200 to go. I've got 3 days left on my library loan, so I think I can do it.

So might be a day or so late reading the short stories, but I'll definitely be reading them before the discussion period ends.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Today is day one of discussion time, so if anyone is ready to comment on any of the short stories, go ahead and post.

I'm still working on finishing my library loan (100 pages to go), so haven't gotten to the short stories yet. I could skim them quickly to get them read, but I read for enjoyment, so want to take my time when I read them. Hopefully later today.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's the 9th book in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series - Go Tell The Bees That I Am Gone. I think the hardcover book might be "only" 900-ish pages, but on my e-reader it converts to 1341 pages. I'm on page 1139 now, so "just" 200 to go. I've got 3 days left on my library loan, so I think I can do it.

So might be a day or so late reading the short stories, but I'll definitely be reading them before the discussion period ends.
Oh I think I remember that now!
I’ve finished, good stories!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A childs Christmas by Dylan Thomas.

Dylan Thomas had such a lyrical style of writing, I found it enjoyable to read. I smiled all through this book, not that I'm biased, living just 20 minutes from his birthplace where this story took place. I loved the list of Christmas presents received, all those small gifts that we dont seem to give now but appreciated at the time. Anyone used to have sugared pink and white mice, a popular stocking filler when I was a child and those confectionary cigarettes, I thought I was so cool, it's a wonder we had any teeth left entering adulthood. A story of innocence, of mischievous boys having a good time at Christmas.

The Little Match Girl by H C Anderson.

What a sad but somehow lovely story, I dont remembering reading it before. Its lovely to think that the little girl saw such wonderful sights when she lit the matches and died when she felt the warmth of her grandmother taking her away. In reality, a sad, cold and hungry life.

Christmas at Thompson Hall by Anthony Trillope

I wonder why Trollope wasnt specific in the year, just 187x.
What a task it was for Mrs Brown to get some mustard for her husband but determined to get it she was. I haven't heard of this remedy before, has anyone else or is it just fiction?. Imagine realizing you have put it on a complete stranger, what would you do in those circumstances? Myself, I would have woken him and hoped for the best.
One lie by omission by Mrs Brown lead to more and more ending in her poor husband to explain to Mr Jones..'what a tangled web we weave' comes to mind. I found it annoying that Mrs Brown couldn't even remove her veil at the very least to apologize to Mr Jones being as they spent so much time in each others company on the journey back to England. I didnt warm to her. Found the ending to be a little to abrupt.

I enjoyed reading these short stories, made a good change.
Overall I give them give them
⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished my book yesterday, so finally started the short stories. Read the 2 shorter ones, and a bit of the longer one. Will finish today, then write my review.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just finished the last short story, so thought I'd post while still fresh in my mind.

A Child's Christmas by Dylan Thomas.
I found this one a bit boring, and slow to read, even though it was a short read. I guess I just couldn't really relate to what the characters were doing. The candy references were yummy, though, and one in particular "humbugs" I realized I haven't seen in a long time, and wonder if they still exist.

The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Anderson.
Not sure if I've ever read this before. If I have, it was a long time ago, as it wasn't at all familiar. What a sad story. I didn't make me actually cry, but broke my heart thinking of the poor little girl.

This one made me laugh. And what a coincidence that the man in 353 ended up to be Mrs. Brown's sister's fiancé. But I couldn't help but wonder why Mr. Jones hadn't locked his door. But then, I guess, there wouldn't have been a story. LOL

It was a nice change reading short stories, and on a whole, I'll also give them 4 stars.
1639324604607.png

Last edited:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas

I am sure that this book is the work of a genius. It was very clever, the way his reminiscences were put together and recounted with so much humour and affection. Unfortunately, his imagery was somewhat lost on me and I felt I was sometimes missing something - my deficiency. I'm glad it was short otherwise I may have given up. I will surely read it again and listen to him reading it in his gentle, cultivated Welsh accent.
Reading it reminded me of my schooldays when we had to study his poetry and I struggled.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Little Match Girl by H C Andersen

This story was in a short collection of Andersen's Fairy Tales given to me at school in 1955 during his150th birthday celebrations. I was 10 years old at the time but it may not have been the first time I'd listened to or read this sad tale.
When I started reading The Little Match Girl recently, I knew there was not going to be a happy ending. I am not sure whether I like the story or not - perhaps it's just too sad.
⭐⭐⭐⭐

Christmas at Thompson Hall by Anthony Trollope

I definitely did not enjoy this story - it was supposed to be funny but it was not my type of humour. I couldn't wait for them all to get out of Paris and start Christmas at Thompson Hall. But then the story ended too abruptly and left me feeling cheated!
⭐⭐⭐

That makes ⭐⭐⭐⭐ for the month - it was a very good idea to read short stories for a change. Thank you!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl

Gil,

Two great stories are For Esme: with Love and Squalor by J.D. Salinger and The Shepherd, a Christmas themed by Frederick Forsythe.

Both are older. I think Esme was originally published in the New Yorker magazine in the 50s. Some people may find them cheesy
but I love cheese, ha!!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
A childs Christmas by Dylan Thomas.

Dylan Thomas had such a lyrical style of writing, I found it enjoyable to read. I smiled all through this book, not that I'm biased, living just 20 minutes from his birthplace where this story took place. I loved the list of Christmas presents received, all those small gifts that we dont seem to give now but appreciated at the time. Anyone used to have sugared pink and white mice, a popular stocking filler when I was a child and those confectionary cigarettes, I thought I was so cool, it's a wonder we had any teeth left entering adulthood. A story of innocence, of mischievous boys having a good time at Christmas.

The Little Match Girl by H C Anderson.

What a sad but somehow lovely story, I dont remembering reading it before. Its lovely to think that the little girl saw such wonderful sights when she lit the matches and died when she felt the warmth of her grandmother taking her away. In reality, a sad, cold and hungry life.

I wonder why Trollope wasnt specific in the year, just 187x.
What a task it was for Mrs Brown to get some mustard for her husband but determined to get it she was. I haven't heard of this remedy before, has anyone else or is it just fiction?. Imagine realizing you have put it on a complete stranger, what would you do in those circumstances? Myself, I would have woken him and hoped for the best.
One lie by omission by Mrs Brown lead to more and more ending in her poor husband to explain to Mr Jones..'what a tangled web we weave' comes to mind. I found it annoying that Mrs Brown couldn't even remove her veil at the very least to apologize to Mr Jones being as they spent so much time in each others company on the journey back to England. I didnt warm to her. Found the ending to be a little to abrupt.

I enjoyed reading these short stories, made a good change.
Overall I give them give them
⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mush, you write amazing reviews!!💞

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
A Child's Christmas in Wales-
I don't believe I've ever read anything by Dylan Thomas till this one. I really enjoyed the lyrical writing. I could just picture everything, the simple joys and fun and snuggling warm at night. I'll have to listen to an audio of it.
I remember the cigarettes.

The Little Match Girl-
Had never read this one either. Oh so sad. Made my heart ache. But the vision of her grandmother coming, and taking her off to love and no pain helped.

Christmas at Thompson Hall-
I enjoyed this one too, and smiled at the missteps going on. But I also thought "get to Thompson Hall already..." So I did like it as a short read and was a fun read.
And I could imagine the wifely wife having to do her husband's bidding in those times and him coming up with an excuse to get out of it and feeling it is justified to playact the bad throat...and the comedy of putting it on a stranger.
Yes, mustard plasters are real, an old-timey thing. But you're supposed to put the mustard concoction between 2 pieces of cloth and lay that on the affected area. No evidence it really works, but back in the 1870's that's what they did! And it can irritate the skin.

I liked the short story selection too, a nice change and fun to do.
4.5 stars.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Today's the last "official" day of discussion for our truncated book club month, so if anyone else read any of the short stories, don't forget to post your review.