December 2021 book of the month club - Christmas Short Stories

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Guess that's it for our December short stories, as well as for the year. Though we're "wrapping things up", the thread will remain open, so if anyone still has a review to add, don't hesitate to post it.

Thanks to all who read and posted reviews of the December short stories, and/or participated in other book club months this year. Your participation is greatly appreciated, as without you, there'd be no book club.

Hope you'll join us again 2022, beginning in January when we read "A Lion Called Christian".
January 2022 book of the month club - A Lion Called Christian

Wishing everyone a joyous holiday season, and a healthy and prosperous new year.

And for anyone who'd like a recap of the books we read in 2021, here you go:

JAN - Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
FEB - Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell
MAR - From Baghdad, With Love: A Marine, the War, and a Dog Named Lava by Jay Kopelman, Melinda Roth
APR - Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett
MAY - The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
JUN - The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware
JUL - Paths of Glory by Jeffrey Archer
AUG - Girls With Bright Futures by Tracy Dobmeier and Wendy Katzman
SEP - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
OCT - Read anything you want month
NOV - Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
DEC – 3 Christmas short stories
A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas​
The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Andersen​
Christmas at Thompson Hall by Anthony Trollope​
1639663799494.png

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Late reply - yesterday was crazy. I read the first two. And am in the middle of the third.

I still love the Little Match Girl. It was in one of my 'story a day til Christmas' books I had as a child. So sad and sweet, but always got annoyed at the people at the end going "aww, she was trying to keep herself warm" like maybe you should have bought some matches from her, jerks.

Maybe I should listen to the audio of the Child's Christmas in Wales. I found it hard to read, and so far Christmas in Thompson Hall is worse because at least Wales had paragraph brraks. So idk if it's even the stories themselves or the formatting on the websites. As far as Thompson Hall, the first chapter was a slog and it's slowly getting better. I'm going to try and finish it today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lari Lari , As I know you're a busy Mom, with baby J's first Christmas and first birthday to plan for, I'm glad you were able to finish the short stories and post a comment.

Anyone else? Boris Diamond Boris Diamond , you were going to read them, weren't you?

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
A Child's Christmas in Wales. - I'm a fan of Dylan Thomas's poetry. When I had too many beers, I would often recite "Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night," a poem I love. This story was disjointed and hard for me to relate to. It was an OK read.

The Little Match Girl - I read this years ago and found it horribly depressing. This time I thought it was a beautiful story. Staying warm with the matches and then having someone who treated the child with love showing up and guiding her to heaven when she froze seemed as good an outcome as this poor young child could expect. Very sad, but beautiful story.

Christmas at Thompson Hall - I can not relate to or understand this story. I quit it while reading the 4th chapter. Maybe if my life had been different, I might understand the motivations and actions of the characters.

(I edited this, taking out something that might be offensive to some.)

Last edited: