December 2020 book of the month club

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought I would share this in case anyone is interested. Townsends is doing a reading of "A Christmas Carol" in five parts starting tonight. I listened to him read "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" for Samhain/Halloween, and it was enjoyable.

Townsends
Very cool. Thanks for letting us know. Are you going to listen?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I seem to have thrown out most of my Dickens collection. Since coming to Germany I bought old English language books at flea markets and book sales. My collection became quite impressive - sorted according to author - but these were old books, yellow pages, the print now too small for my eyesight, I needed the space for my partner's (more valuable) German books and new books so I've been slowly reducing my collection. So quite a few of my Dickens books have gone - including his Christmas stories, though they may be in a box stored away somewhere. 📚

Last night I loaded a free e-book - A Christmas Carol - unfortunately without the original illustrations - onto my Tolino and started reading. My memory is not serving me very well - I can only remember the beginning and the ending so it's like reading a completely unknown book!

Thank you for encouraging me to reread A Christmas Carol! ❤

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last night I loaded a free e-book - A Christmas Carol - unfortunately without the original illustrations -
This link at Project Gutenberg says it's the original illustrations.
A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens

BTW, so happy to see so much interest in reading this book. I've never read it before, and your enthusiasm is making me rush through the book I'm currently reading, so I can start A Christmas Carol, asap.

Wonder if the version I downloaded will have this illustration in it. :lol:

BTW, Jcatbird Jcatbird , is this where Banjo was planning to go with your car keys? :bicolorcat:

1606998652538.png

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise

BTW, so happy to see so much interest in reading this book. I've never read it before, and your enthusiasm is making me rush through the book I'm currently reading, so I can start A Christmas Carol, asap.

BTW, Jcatbird Jcatbird , is this where Banjo was planning to go with your car keys? :bicolorcat:

View attachment 360821
Is the Tuxedo supposed to be Scrooge, ha??

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 360821
So the truth comes out! It’s just so hard for Banjo to keep a secret! Lol
9D054B7D-6A05-4C42-B55C-5599B84C4F90.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I started it yesterday, Scrooge is such a mean-spirited guy!

I received the paperback in the mail.
I have the illustrated hard copy waiting at library
The DVD is on it's way from another library
The Ebook is downloaded
The audio book is downloaded

I've got it covered

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since this is a shortened book club month, the 11th means we can start discussing the book.

I finished it last night, and surprised myself by getting teary eyed at the end. Actually I felt bad for Scrooge during the ghost of Christmas past visit, as well. I'm going to have to watch the movie this season, because I don't recall having sympathetic feelings towards him before.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oops, my brain has had a blip, forgot the deadlines for this month were shorter. I will start it today and comment on a few days.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised at how whimsical the story is. These quotes are mainly descriptive, but in case someone would rather not read them, it is entered as a spoiler.​
["""...it had a dismal light, like a bad lobster in a dim cellar." "...as close to it as I am now to you, and I am standing in the spirit at your elbow." "You may talk vaguely about driving a coach and six up a good old flight of stairs...but I mean to say you might have got a hearse up that staircase, and taken it broadwise..."""]
It is a fun read for me.​

Last edited: