Deceitful Rescue Worker Rescuing For Novelty!

LanaLincolnGus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
46EF477F-38B2-407E-9685-8F368192A5E3.jpeg
Hello Everyone! I am brand new around here but needed the right kind of help from the right kind of people. Here is my story-
Yesterday I lost such a sweet boy, Link to what I am assuming was roundworms. He was a tiny guy maybe 5 weeks old that was left for me to care for when it was already too late by a “rescue worker”...
Lincoln (Link) and his sister Lilly were taken from their mother and siblings by a friend who in the past helped to foster animals through a local rescue. She does not have a job or her own home. She currently lives in between an ex boyfriend and father in laws home. Neither are pet friendly.
In the 10 days I have helped to care for Link and Lilly because she does not provide the constant care they require. They were both thriving and doing great on KMR every 4 hours when they were in my custody.
On Tuesday I left the kittens and friend around 9am when they were great and doing well. By 4pm she was calling me that Link seemed sick. I went over to find she wasn’t even consoling the poor guy. I immediately picked him up and didn’t put him down until the moment he passed. She left the house to do other things and left me and Link which I was actually grateful for. I brought him to my house with me. Through the night he seemed to be weak but coming around. He had diarrhea and vomiting. Yesterday morning I started making vet calls. Can you believe only 1 vet offered support while the handful of others either wanted to see him later that day or needed to call me back?! I took the advice of the one vet offering support and tried a gentle roundworm dewormer and forced pedialite. Link ultimately couldn’t pass the large ball of roundworms. He was too tiny and things were too far progressed. He died in my arms after such a brave fight for such a sweet small boy. I am devastated. I am sickened. I can not get past this heavy hearted sadness.
The friend still has Lilly. I told her I wanted her and would get her to the vet and care for her. She refused to give her to me.
This is not the first time this has happened. This girl presented herself as a rescue worker in Pet Smart and took an orphaned kitten off of a vulnerable girl. He is now with me and his name is Gus. Gus was given to me by her after 2 days because she “had too much going on.” Gus is in amazing health and gorgeous. He is a blessed addition to our family.
Lincoln was also going to be apart of my family- and he is now. Just not physically as I so wish he was.
I guess what I am looking for is guidance, advice, or insight as to what I should do. This girl has taken baby ducks from a pond with a net and kept them for a few days then re released them. She enjoys the novelty of a small baby animal but has no monetary means to care for them much less the compassion to care for them. She does not “work” for any rescue. Like I said she fostered on and off for a local rescue but that was it.
Anyone that works for, is affiliated with or advocates for a rescue would not do the things she does.
Thank you for letting me vent and also for all of the great posts I’ve been reading that are helping me to become better and more knowledgeable. I will forever feel the sadness of losing my sweet, brave baby Link.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Welcome to TCS although I am sad that it could not have been in the Fur Pictures and Videos forum. Baby Link did not get the chance that he deserved but he left this earthly realm know your tender, comforting touches and I am sure that your implores were prayers, your deep love a beacon for the angels to guide him over the Bridge. When I had a bad reaction to a black widow bite, I would lose consciousness but I still remember the soothing touches and voices of the nurses even though everything else was black; also at that time, the pain was replaced by a soft, comforting warmth.
As for the "imposter foster", I dont have any real advice except to ask animal control. I tried to help a fellow TCS who had a similar problem with a lady who took over some ferals; that lady also fostered for several rescues, taking in kittens and puppies that she kept inside and treated well. the ferals, however, were put into a large dog crate outside with room only for the cats and 1 litterbox. she fed and watered the cats. It took me calling twice to humane society to even get them to do a well-check just because the lady has a good repoire with all the agencies and group. and since the animals had food, water and a space heater nearby, there were no violations (the space requirements were for livestock only). I was finally able to get a response from one of the rescues about a "vague question" & that person did her own home visit and agreed that the cats were failing in the cramped crate; their rescue tried for months to bring volunteers and supplies to build an outdoor enclosure but were refused for months and threatened with being denied access to the property. Fortunately, the lady wanted to foster more puppies & the rescue worked out a deal: let us build an enclosure & you can continue to foster. Then I tried to help in another state, same type situation, but lax laws dont help cats....so draconian:(
Please keep us updated: I share your concern for Lilly and also I need to learn more about how to help kitties caught in these tragic circumstances.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep trying to get her to give you the kitten. I assume the other kitten has the worms too and needs to see the vet. There is a lady in my apartment complex who has the same kind of mentality. They are just playthings to them. I was able to get her to give me a batch of kittens so I could get them rescued. I had to talk to her several times before she gave in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LanaLincolnGus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been trying to reach her with no response. The only thing I can think to do is contact the landlord of the ex boyfriend where she stays beings it’s relation to my brother in law. If she is forced to get rid of Lilly then hopefully I can get her. She is the type that would just drop Lilly off somewhere and I want to avoid that happening. After I have Lilly I will most certainly be contacting authorities and the rescue she claims to work for.

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
View attachment 241665 Hello Everyone! I am brand new around here but needed the right kind of help from the right kind of people. Here is my story-
Yesterday I lost such a sweet boy, Link to what I am assuming was roundworms. He was a tiny guy maybe 5 weeks old that was left for me to care for when it was already too late by a “rescue worker”...
Lincoln (Link) and his sister Lilly were taken from their mother and siblings by a friend who in the past helped to foster animals through a local rescue. She does not have a job or her own home. She currently lives in between an ex boyfriend and father in laws home. Neither are pet friendly.
In the 10 days I have helped to care for Link and Lilly because she does not provide the constant care they require. They were both thriving and doing great on KMR every 4 hours when they were in my custody.
On Tuesday I left the kittens and friend around 9am when they were great and doing well. By 4pm she was calling me that Link seemed sick. I went over to find she wasn’t even consoling the poor guy. I immediately picked him up and didn’t put him down until the moment he passed. She left the house to do other things and left me and Link which I was actually grateful for. I brought him to my house with me. Through the night he seemed to be weak but coming around. He had diarrhea and vomiting. Yesterday morning I started making vet calls. Can you believe only 1 vet offered support while the handful of others either wanted to see him later that day or needed to call me back?! I took the advice of the one vet offering support and tried a gentle roundworm dewormer and forced pedialite. Link ultimately couldn’t pass the large ball of roundworms. He was too tiny and things were too far progressed. He died in my arms after such a brave fight for such a sweet small boy. I am devastated. I am sickened. I can not get past this heavy hearted sadness.
The friend still has Lilly. I told her I wanted her and would get her to the vet and care for her. She refused to give her to me.
This is not the first time this has happened. This girl presented herself as a rescue worker in Pet Smart and took an orphaned kitten off of a vulnerable girl. He is now with me and his name is Gus. Gus was given to me by her after 2 days because she “had too much going on.” Gus is in amazing health and gorgeous. He is a blessed addition to our family.
Lincoln was also going to be apart of my family- and he is now. Just not physically as I so wish he was.
I guess what I am looking for is guidance, advice, or insight as to what I should do. This girl has taken baby ducks from a pond with a net and kept them for a few days then re released them. She enjoys the novelty of a small baby animal but has no monetary means to care for them much less the compassion to care for them. She does not “work” for any rescue. Like I said she fostered on and off for a local rescue but that was it.
Anyone that works for, is affiliated with or advocates for a rescue would not do the things she does.
Thank you for letting me vent and also for all of the great posts I’ve been reading that are helping me to become better and more knowledgeable. I will forever feel the sadness of losing my sweet, brave baby Link.
Report her to animal control, describing the incidents and mention she is taking baby animals from their mothers too soon.

LanaLincolnGus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
DEAD2472-F828-4954-A570-0F1D8A02753E.jpeg
An update I was beginning to think I would not be able to give...I now have sweet Lilly at home with me! She has been cuddled up next to me purring away. In the morning I am going to reach out to as many local rescues that will listen as well as animal control. I know my baby Link is watching and so happy that his sister will be safe and healthy. My heart is still heavy but now it is a little more at ease.
*the little face in the picture is Link ❤

LanaLincolnGus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I am at the vets office with Lilly now. She started to become lethargic and hasn’t gone to the bathroom at all since I’ve had her. She ate a small amount but refused her KMR bottle that I was supplementing with. Her temp was normal but rather than wait too long or chance it...needless to say we were here when the doors opened. They are doing some blood work now and some sub q fluids. I will update when I know more.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hearthrob::redheartpump: :vibes::vibes::vibes::fallsmiley::angel:
Prayers of love and support and for speedy healing for Lilly :vibes:❤
I am beyond thrilled to know that she is safely in your care. I will be anxiously awaiting updates. Please know that we are there with you in spirit :grouphug2:

LanaLincolnGus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m sorry my update is coming so late but the day has been hectic. The veterinarian office did see us when we got there. Blood work was done and Lilly is negative for everything. Her temp and glucose were normal. She received sub q fluids and obviously since all signs point to the inevitable worms, she received an oral dewormer. Since getting home she has eaten Turkey baby food and Tuna. I’m having a hard time getting her to drink water but I am adding extra water to the tuna. Any suggestions would be appreciated. She has been going to the bathroom- the first of the day was normal and formed after that it’s been more loose and diarrhea like. She doesn’t seem to be too weak she is able to walk and get up and down from her window bed she has taken to. Tomorrow morning we go back to the vet for another sub q injection of fluids then hopefully after the 24 hour mark we are out of the woods. I can not wait for this nightmare to be over and have a healthy sweet baby girl in our family. Turns out she and Link are only 4 weeks old so that means when the “friend” took them from their mother they were only about 2 weeks old.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
LanaLincolnGus LanaLincolnGus Please report this girl to your local Animal Control, Humane Society or SPCA. Tell them everything that you have told us and give them copies of all the vet paperwork you have.

What she is doing is illegal. Wild ducks and other birds are protected by the US federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act. She shouldn't be taking them, or any other animal, away from their mother.

It may take a while before anything is done, but if you make a report now and there is a paper trail it will make it possible to prevent her from doing this again in the future.

LanaLincolnGus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I absolutely will be reporting her! I would hate to think of how much worse it could have been for the 3 kittens that I took custody of if I hadn’t intervened when I did. For Link it was a sad ending that could have been avoided but I take some comfort in knowing he was with me, someone who loved and cared for him more than anything and did all they could do for him.
As soon as Lilly is straightened out and out of the woods I am going to go down the line and report her to everyone that will listen.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Complete hypothesis on my part, here; this woman may have an underlying issue that is spurring this behavior. From your mention that she lives "between ex-boyfriend and father", it sounds like she may have some unstable or unhealthy relationships, and the baby animals are her surrogates in some way. I'm thinking that not only should you report her to various authorities and organizations, but maybe gently encourage her to seek someone who can help her work through some things... if you think that might be a factor in her behavior.

LanaLincolnGus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Complete hypothesis on my part, here; this woman may have an underlying issue that is spurring this behavior. From your mention that she lives "between ex-boyfriend and father", it sounds like she may have some unstable or unhealthy relationships, and the baby animals are her surrogates in some way. I'm thinking that not only should you report her to various authorities and organizations, but maybe gently encourage her to seek someone who can help her work through some things... if you think that might be a factor in her behavior.
My sister and I were just talking about there being some sort of mental health issue associated. She does have very unhealthy relationships with family, boyfriends and a husband that is in state prison currently. She hasn’t two children the oldest is almost 16 and discourages her behavior however the youngest is 8 and enjoys looking for these small animals with her! I’m letting it up to anyone else to figure it out because at this point my hands are washed and I truly can not find an ounce of sympathy. She has been talking non stop about wanting a baby goat. She even drives around looking for them and taking photos of them. It has become a real problem that is seeming more and more like a sickness.