Dealing With Roommates And Cat

loverofkittys2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so I have been researching and trying so hard to deal with this issue and just need advice from ANYONE.
Let's start from the beginning. My boyfriend and I got a 6 week old kitten a couple weeks before my graduation, knowing that animals help a LOT with my anxiety, especially cats. We already told our 4 other roommates before even thinking about living together that we planned on having this cat (who is now registered as an official Emotional Support Animal). I won't get into why I need to have him as an ESA, but I've struggled hard with anxiety and depression for a few years now. Over the summer, he lived with one of his siblings and a couple dogs at my grandmas house. We visited him often and he very clearly loved us. Second day of living in our apartment, we took him home (FINALLY!!). He absolutely loved my boyfriend and I, always cuddling up to us and sleeping near us.
What's changed, you may ask?
My roommates have been very rude to us lately. This has caused more anxiety and stress for me so having the cat around really helps. Except...those same roommates have started taking him into their room all the time, even after I have asked them not to. They have done this with my brothers girlfriends' dog as well, and none of us feel comfortable with the animals staying in their room. Ever since this has happened, it seems as if the cat gets out all of his loveiness out on everyone else and has nearly none left for me. My roommates have also called my cat not by his real name ever since he has come, which upset my boyfriend and I. Finally they stopped but I don't know how to exactly tell them I really don't feel comfortable with them keeping the cat in their room. We taught the cat when he first came to stay out of the other rooms and he would never go in them until they recently started taking him in.
The main reason this upsets me is because in times I'm feeling anxious, I don't want to have to fight for the cat or even have to ask if I can play and bond with MY cat.
What has set me off is when my parents came by to visit with him and my roommates wouldn't allow him to leave their room until I asked for him to come out. He does sleep in our room, but as soon as he hears them outside the door he starts scratching the carpet and waking us up really early in the morning.

Please let me know any advice on this issue. We are unfortunately in a 12 month lease with them, with 9 months more to go.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! It sounds like your roommates need a kitten of their own. Perhaps an older kitten or a young cat. Would that be a possibility?
Since your tiny is an ESA, they shouldn't be hogging your little guy. The good thing is that the kitten is popular- usually we hear more about roommates not liking cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loverofkittys2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I find these threads very helpful, just want the best for my little one. I doubt they would get a cat because they would have to pay the cat fee (I don't because he is an ESA) but I seriously might consider that for a Christmas present and bring it up to them. I'd be willing to pay the fee if they wouldn't steal my kitty away from me!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a mom of an adult disabled child, I totally understand! And legally, your ESA is supposed to be accessible to you whenever you need. I don't know if it would be feasible but perhaps your household could consider becoming foster parents of older kittens - it will be difficult to give them up when the time comes but there will be an ongoing supply to replace them....many little lives who otherwise will be killed.

loverofkittys2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, I wish they got the memo on that, just having him around/near me makes my mood a lot better and I freak out when I don't know where he's at and just get upset when I find out they took him to their room.

I'm actually not sure if we can foster cats, we live in an apartment and are only allowed 2 animals. I will have to check and see because that would be a much better option since I'm not sure if they're ready to have a cat of their own.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep us updated! Many visitors to this thread will learn from your experiences.:hellocomputer:
I noticed that responses here are slow & a lot of that is due to the terrible devastation and power outages from Hurricane Michael. Many of our foremost members here (and on FB) are either dealing with it directly or are scrambling to help from a distance. And because aid is being directed to the Southeast, other members are trying to help smaller rescues deal with local crises. :soldier:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if you would be able to clicker train your cat. And every time he is where he should not be, use the clicker to bring him to you, even if you're not needing him at the moment for your anxiety. And be sure the clicker is always on you, don't let the roommates ever have access to it. Hopefully your cat will learn to only respond to commands if it's associated to the clicker, especially if the "click" comes with a treat. Or at least will always want to go to the sound of the clicker.
I would also keep treats and your cats "favorite things" in your room only, that way only YOU and your boyfriend are the "giver of treats". If your roommates give you issues with this tell them you are giving him special "expensive" treats for whatever reason, or watching his calories or whatever. Hopefully they will at least respect that. Do your roommates keep the door closed to their room when they take him? If so THAT needs to STOP. And the only way that can stop is if they respect your telling them to do so.
You could tell them that if they want him in their room they will have to keep a litter box in there. That might make them stop! Or send them a "companion bill", even though it might "irk" them to get it, it might get them to stop. :insertevillaugh:
But I don't know their personalities. Sometimes passive aggressive behavior can backfire!
All kidding aside, I hope you find a way to keep your roommates in line.

loverofkittys2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on my situation: we suggested to our roommates to get an animal of their own because one day I came home and my cat was LOCKED in their room, even though we had almost agreed he was no longer allowed in their room (he started peeing on things and then we got him neutered; it has stopped since then). So of course they get a big dog. This dog was having aggression issues towards me sometimes because he was always locked in their kennel while they were gone (which was at least 10 or more hours every day). Honestly, I felt really bad for it. Until it started biting at my cat. My cat's had issues with dogs before, which is fine because I never plan on getting a dog. I love them but I don't have the time to care for a dog. So one day I got home and we have had to keep him locked in our room while we are gone (which isn't for too long during the day) and let him out when we got home. Their dog completely bit my cat's body so hard he started bleeding. So now my roommates are moving out :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:thumbsup: Good update! The cat stays and the roommates are gone! I hope that there was no real damage from the dog attack - keep an eye out for problems that might not be immediately evident, such as soft tissue & nerve damage. And thank you for the update!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your poor kitty, I hope he's healing up good!!!

YAY! about the roommates! Hopefully you can manage living on your own, but at least, if you do need to bring in new roommates you can be really picky about who you let in.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, yeah about the roommates. It sucks for that poor undocailized/trained dog.

Before any roommates move in I would add a addition to their rental agreement : no dogs, may have a cat if they do a proper introduction as recommended by this site (may take a few months) & lastly they may not in any way let your cat in their room at any time. Explain your cat is emotional support animal & it is a deal breaker for you.

:cheerleader:Sometimes saying no is the hardest. Sometimes you have to learn to stick to your guns. Maybe practice saying no to little things and strangers so when the time comes you can be more able to start saying no to the big things.

I hope your poor kitty :sickcat:completely recovers. :vibes::grouphug: