Dealing with possible kidney infection, looking for advice.

MontySD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today we awoke to find some blood trickling from our 6yr old Persian/himy make kitty. Upon inspection we found it was coming from his penis, a slow trickle but steady. We took him to the doc and after numerous tests etc we got sent home with a few different meds and pills. He’s home and seems fine but can’t pee, he keeps trying to go but just gets some blood. There are no stones they said. He wouldn’t eat but maybe thats from a hectic day. I force fed him some to get a base for the meds and he’s relaxing just fine as normal. I am very scared and love my cat more than anything. Any of this sound familiar or anyone gone through this?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No not this exact issue..hopefully someone else will chime in. Whenever there's a URI issue it's a good idea to have the kitty stop eating dry food if he's willing to eat wet.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. In fact I went through this with a Persian male. :alright: Kidney infections are not uncommon. I am assuming you were given antibiotics? I’m sorry I cannot advise too much since I am not a vet. Is kitty drinking? Keeping him hydrated is important but his bladder may be full. Giving wet food might help. If he refuses canned cat food, you can try adding a little water to dry food. It may take a little time for the antibiotics to start working. I know seeing him bleeding is stressful. If he seems to start having pain, I would call back in to the vet. Many vets will have answering service after hours. Also, if he bleeds worse call in immediately. If cannot pee by morning, I would call in too. I would ask how long to expect him to continue as he is before getting seeking further vet care. No stones is very good! I don’t know what tests they did or what the diagnosis is other than the thread title saying kidney infection. Did they say if there if urine mixed with the blood? Any form of blockage? Hoping there is some urine passing along with the blood. My best advice is to get detailed answers from the vet. If he passes urine along with the blood then at least some is being passed and he isn’t totally blocked. I would keep watch over him tonight and if any further symptoms develop, get him right back in. In future, try to encourage him to stay well hydrated. Cats often don’t drink a lot of water. A fountain is something that entices many kitties to drink more. A Persian with a very flat face may prefer a flatter, wide and shallow dish to drink from. The antibiotics may kick in. That should help. My heart is right there with you. I love my kitties more than anything too. Please do update so we know how he is doing.:redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MontySD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. In fact I went through this with a Persian male. :alright: Kidney infections are not uncommon. I am assuming you were given antibiotics? I’m sorry I cannot advise too much since I am not a vet. Is kitty drinking? Keeping him hydrated is important but his bladder may be full. Giving wet food might help. If he refuses canned cat food, you can try adding a little water to dry food. It may take a little time for the antibiotics to start working. I know seeing him bleeding is stressful. If he seems to start having pain, I would call back in to the vet. Many vets will have answering service after hours. Also, if he bleeds worse call in immediately. If cannot pee by morning, I would call in too. I would ask how long to expect him to continue as he is before getting seeking further vet care. No stones is very good! I don’t know what tests they did or what the diagnosis is other than the thread title saying kidney infection. Did they say if there if urine mixed with the blood? Any form of blockage? Hoping there is some urine passing along with the blood. My best advice is to get detailed answers from the vet. If he passes urine along with the blood then at least some is being passed and he isn’t totally blocked. I would keep watch over him tonight and if any further symptoms develop, get him right back in. In future, try to encourage him to stay well hydrated. Cats often don’t drink a lot of water. A fountain is something that entices many kitties to drink more. A Persian with a very flat face may prefer a flatter, wide and shallow dish to drink from. The antibiotics may kick in. That should help. My heart is right there with you. I love my kitties more than anything too. Please do update so we know how he is doing.:redheartpump:
Thank you very much. He is drinking his water but not eating yet, will try ASAP tomorrow, we have special food for him from the vet. Just going day by day, I need to see him eat so we can give him the medicine. I will update.

MontySD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: The urinalysis came back to find no sign of infection. This leads to believe is Cystitis, a condition that inflames the bladder. This is cause party due to stresses of being the second cat in the house where the dominant cat likes to bully him sometimes. I feel terrible about it but at least it seems he should pull out the other side of this ok.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try getting some calming agents such as Feliway or Comfort Zone and running them in your home. You can try CBD oil to help decrease inflammation. Corn silk can also help.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Calming products often work very well. Feliway makes a diffuser that you can try. There are lots of calming products now. Bullying happens but working with the behavior can help too. Getting things calm will keep kitty from dealing with this again. If no other food works, try a little Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food as a topper on his regular food. Slightly wanted as well. It’s very moist and many cats love it.

MontySD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Calming products often work very well. Feliway makes a diffuser that you can try. There are lots of calming products now. Bullying happens but working with the behavior can help too. Getting things calm will keep kitty from dealing with this again. If no other food works, try a little Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food as a topper on his regular food. Slightly wanted as well. It’s very moist and many cats love it.
Yea we are getting a diffuser. Might be an odd question but are Diffuser pheromones whatever a real thing? Sounds a bit like magic crystals and essential oils to me, I have a strong BS detector. Just making sure it’s not one of those “it works if you believe it” things.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw your post and had to log in just to answer because I totally know what you mean. I can tell you that whatever is in them, has an effect on many cats. I have used it. I was just as skeptical of that and many more products. I have a lot of cats so it was a good test group. Lol Some of them were calmed by it without a doubt. A couple ignored it and a couple actually stayed away from it. I have been following reports of its use here a long time now and there have been some really strong reports of it working extremely well and the main reports I refer too are from people who were not expecting good results. So I don’t think it had a placebo effect. I would also point to the use of catnip on cats. My personal experience is that it excites most of my cats as a stimulant. Some do not like it at all. Some become extremely affectionate and some very active and playful. Every cat is different in the same way humans are different. I am sure you know that medications work well with some humans and not well with others. I can only say that I think it is well worth trying. Read the label and get the calming form. It is sold in spray and diffuser. The diffuser is what I suggest. If that does not work, give it time, there are other products and even medications you can try.
There is a thread by another member who has worked to integrate a young feral tome with her older declawed ( not by her) resident. She worked with a few products and currently using behavioral methods as well. I have found that spending time working to teach excitable cats to do specific tasks can redirect their energy and also has a stabilizing, calming effect. You could try that too. For information on all of the above, you might want to take the time and read through the thread about Finn and Charlie. It’s written by someone who had never attempted to integrate ferals and whose time was limited because of attending school ( the process was also complicated by one kitty being sick) but the kitties are doing very well now. I’ll go find the thread and return to give you a link so you can read it. I’ll be interested to follow your progress as well. Whatever you learn can help others too.

MontySD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to give a final update here, my little guy made a full recovery after only a couple days. I also want to remark how incredible a cats self cleaning routine is. When we found his bleeding it was very alarming, like a murder scene. Bright red, messy undercarriage, I was anticipating giving him a thourough bath after the bleeding stopped and he was doing better. Couple days later he had completely cleaned himself up and had no need for any bath at all. Pretty gross to think about but he really did a number on himself, I was shocked.