Dealing with fleas while rescuing cat

deweysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi :)
I have borrowed a trap from someone online to trap a stray cat I've been trying to catch as its getting so cold here. I did this last November but once trapped I immediately had the kitty picked up and taken to a rescue. This time I may have to house the kitty overnight until I can take them in, as I have been spotting them at 3 am.
I have a pen set up in a seperate room from my cats, but i'm worried about fleas and if they may get into the carpet and spread them to my cats. Any tips on how I can avoid this happening. Thanks in advance! :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, would food grade diatomaceous earth work, maybe in a narrow "strip" around the edge of the room so the dust doesn't get stirred up every time someone walks in or moves around?

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I have borrowed a trap from someone online to trap a stray cat I've been trying to catch as its getting so cold here. I did this last November but once trapped I immediately had the kitty picked up and taken to a rescue. This time I may have to house the kitty overnight until I can take them in, as I have been spotting them at 3 am.
I have a pen set up in a seperate room from my cats, but i'm worried about fleas and if they may get into the carpet and spread them to my cats. Any tips on how I can avoid this happening. Thanks in advance! :)
Hi, deweysmom! I understand your concern, but wonder if your cats are already on flea treatment as that should protect them. Not knowing the weather situation in your area was wondering if you could keep the cat outside in a shed or garage?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deweysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up covering the area with garbage bags to try to stop any fleas, then sprayed when the cat was gone. I dont have my cats on flea stuff atm but will now as I will be trapping the strays in my area. Whats your guys opinion on diatomaceous earth with treating parasites and treating fleas?