Dealing With Dry Skin

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all, my kitty is on science diet d/d due to food allergies he has more dry skin that he used too... So I started using burts bees wipes and a metal comb but I want to know if anyone has any other ideas?

I also just ordered a humidifier... My father seems to think it may be due to the heating system we have (force hot air).

Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I realize allergies are driving the food choices for you but can you try fancy feasts' tuna or salmon filets, or sardines?

I tried fish oil supplements for my boy but they didn't have any effect. But the sardines and other actual fish work pretty well to cut down on dandruff and dry skin :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Does the Science d/d come in canned, and if so, will your cat eat that? Other things to try are gel caps of omega 3 and 9 supplements or flaxseed oil to add his food. Also, search the internet for Science d/d alternatives, especially if you can find something in canned to add to his dry - assuming he eats dry.

I brushed Gracie (RIP) daily to reduce the amount of dander she had, especially on her back. The brushing promotes oil secretion to help moisten the skin. I found a brush to be more effective than a comb for this purpose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He does have d/d wet and dry and I also have a fish oil supplement the vet gave him before starting the day/d diet.

How long does it take to see if the combing and dehumidifier along with the wipes is actually working?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humidifier helped my cats. My furnace is oversized for its load. As such, it doesn't run enough of the time for the humidifier to do its job. The cats sparked when petted and they were getting rather dry skin, too. I got a small portable unit that runs all the time and it helped a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Combinding has helped alot! It has only been two days or so but I have been brushing him and wiping him with the Burt's Bee's wipes and much improved.

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, a humidifier should work!
We had a very dry spell here last week, with 15% humidity in the air! Horribly dry! Cat suddenly had dander, he’s never had dander. Even my skin was horribly itchy. Hooked up a humidifier, and his flakes are gone.