Dealing With A New Fury Baby, Old And With Bladder Stones. Help!

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody,

Here I am after a long while to ask for help. I have 2 black cats and couldn't find a better idea than to adopt an old girl with health issues. Now I wonder if I did the right thing.
You see, the picture I have in my profile were my beloved Lucky (white) & Yanny (black). These 2 were the best loving cats anybody cold have. Yanny passed away 3 years ago at 14, and Lucky followed her 2 years later at 21. After I lost Yanny I felt the need of a black beauty to love and be loved. I adopted another black beauty, that was nothing like Yanny but I love her never the less. Then Lucky passed and I thought Ginni was too lonely and adopted another black beauty Yogi bear (aka Bagheera, less than a year old and huge, mini panther). I had a full house with my two inside and my two strays that come inside to eat but prefer to be outside all day. Sudenly, a week ago I saw a post (actually a friend tagged me) of this white Turkish angora exactly as my Lucky, she's about 10 and my mom fell in love with her at first sight. Kiara is not that friendly, she hides most of the times. I have her in special food for her problem, and good for me, she likes that food and my other cats don't (it is awfully expensive) she already peed on my bed, bathroom rugs and couch. She uses her box, but she seems mad all the time. She doesn't want me or my mom get near her and we're giving her some space. Her owner passed away and went to live with the cousin, for few years, then the new owner had a kid and the boy became higly allergic to the cat, so she was placed for adoption. 3 month later the new owner placed her again for adoption, that's when I got in the picture. When I picked up the cat, she was obese and in regular food, so no good for her health issues, and also a very hyper toddler. I don't want to give up on her, nobody wants old sick babies. How long does it take for the food to help her? How long will it take to settle down? I need advises, what can I do to help her. My other two can't get anywhere near her because she hisses at them, not friendly at all. Did I make a mistake?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like poor little Kiara went through a lot before she found her way to you.

Have you had her for a vet checkup yet?
Also are you doing a "proper" cat introduction?

Some of the peeing outside the litter box could be stress/territorial. Did you use an enzyme cleaner to wash the bedding?

There's a lot going on with Kiara, and your other cats, so I'm going to post links to several different TCS articles which, hopefully, will have some tips for you. Good luck. I hope it all works out.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

How To Remove Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Rubysmama, I will read those links. Kiara has her vet's appointment for next Saturday. I've had an extremely busy week and next week looks almost the same. I have the enzyme cleaner which I love, I use it when I find "marks" on my door.
I know it will take time for Kiara and my other kids to make acquaintances, just some times I just need a word of encouragement and some advise. Too many things going on at once and only me to take care of them. My mom is older and relies too much on me, not complaining, I love her to pieces; just some days are less easy than others.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted a new thread today. Ended up that Kiara didn’t have stones but a urinary infection. More information on my new post asking for help.