Deaf Kitten?

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So I have reached new territory: I am "fostering" some fosters! 

Their foster Momma has to go out of town for a few weeks. Based on age and original shelter standards they were supposed to be spayed last week, but, they increased the weight limits again so now they are playing the waiting game here with me!

The littlest one, Kea, is pure white with bright blue eyes. He has no other markings to indicate that the is color blocked. Is he likely deaf? Original foster says she hasn't been able to tell definitely one way or the other. What are some things I can try to figure it out?

Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make noises when he's not looking at you. . .away from the other cats so he doesn't pick up on their reactions. Jingle a jingly ball, clap your hands, call his name, crinkle a treat bag, etc. Deaf cats are very observant so make sure he isn't looking at you.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah I tried that but I still can't tell. He doesn't know me very well so he's not very responsive towards me yet. I'll keep trying though! 

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
if he isn't responsive to subtle noises, male a loud noise, drop a pan, turn on the vaccum, ect. don't do it with them in the same room, obviously so they don't associate you with the scarey thing, but make sure you can see him when you do if he doesn't freak out, then well, you know.

that's how my friend who has 6 cats learned her oldest boy was deaf when he was a kitten, but he's not white.

not all white blue eyed cats are deaf, though. I think it is like 80% or something like that?