De crate training our cat

Dzaugg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted our now 1 year old Ragdoll cat when he was still a kitten, approximately 6 months old. As such, he had a lot of energy and would get nighttime zoomies. My partner and I both work so after a month of sleepless nights, we started to crate him when it was bedtime. (He may have slept in a crate with his previous owner, as he finally seemed content at night). However, it was never our desire to have to lock him in his crate overnight. We ideally would like to give him free domain during the night like he has all day! He does still have tons of energy at night, which is why we’ve procrastinated de crate training him, as we know it will involve some sleepless nights once again. Don’t want to wait until it’s too late to ever change this though!! We are hoping this might also slightly change his behavior and make him more comfortable with cuddly contact. He follows us everywhere and purrs a lot, but he will never sit within arms reach, lie on the bed when we are in it, or let us cuddle him longer than 2.5 seconds. I know all cats’ personalities differ, and maybe he’ll never be a lap cat. I was hoping because of his breed he’d be a snuggly guy, but I love him just the same!! Any advice on getting him out of his crate and on a normal sleep schedule would be greatly appreciated!! Also if any other Ragdoll owners gave insights on this — do Ragdolls become more snuggly as they age? He has some of the main characteristics, I.e. he goes limp in our arms, has dog like devotion and has to be in the same room as us and he has never ever viciously swat at or bitten us. Thanks everyone!! Also this is my little love, Ozzy !

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are planning to remove the crate. Might work long term for dogs but not for cats. Just leave it in your living space but open so if he chooses to sleep in there he can, and let him have run of all of the house except your bedroom. Once he is used to nighttime freedom you can decide if you want to try letting him back into your room.

All cats have nightime zoomed to some extent. A long play session before bedtime and a snack might help him sleep through at least part of the night but he will still get up and play at some point before morning. Hopefully with your door shut you won’t be able to hear him