De-clawed Cats Outside??

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 declawed cats that have been indoors their whole lives.Their litter smells awful no matter what litter I use, and they shed terribly, so they cannot live indoors anymore. My dad and I fenced off the doors of my old tree house and added a lockable door and everything, and they've both been staying there the past few days. But a couple of days ago, Chelsea (the youngest) kept escaping, so I left her out and she enjoys it and is fine! But Nala (the oldest) can't escape, and she is very lonesome. I want her to be able to go outside with Chelsea but I live, litery where the woods is my backyard! So I'm afraid she'll wander out into the woods and a wild animal will be after her, and she, being declawed, won't be able to climb a tree to get away from danger! I only got Chelsea as a kitten last year in june, so she isnt too very used to indoors. But Nala on the other hand, I have had since she was a kitten, for 5 years! And for 4 of those years, she was my best friend, becauyse I am homeschooled and don't have a very social life haha! So as you can see, she is very special to me, and I would be SO miserable if I let something happen to her! So my question ( in shorter terms) is, will Nala get used to being outside and survive since she is declawed? oh and I forgot to mention. The whole "introduce your cat to outdoors" thing, doesn'ty work haha, I have taken that advice before, and she still acted the same, crouched down low to the ground like she was in trouble and crawled around very confused and scared like. SO any advice will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks! :D

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They won't be able to defend themselves outside if they are declawed. It's not fair to the cat.  What if you were to solve the awful smelling litter box problem and shedding and bring them back inside?

If they are in good health , on a proper diet, groomed regularly and the litter is scooped twice a day you shouldn't be having any of these problems. Maybe we can help you with this so you can bring them back inside where de-clawed cats belong? If you have specific questions we're here to help.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, they absolutely should never be outside unattended if their claws have been cut out. It's far too dangerous. What have you tried to remedy the litterbox odor issues and shedding? There's absolutely no reason a properly clean litterbox should stink. Are they fed extremely cheap food? That's a common cause of shedding and excessive odor.

If your dad won't give in, it would be better to find them a nice indoor home :(. Better than leaving them vulnerable to all dangers.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you make a run attached to the tree house? You'd just need a basic frame and aviary wire, then they can run outside and be safe. 

Shedding and litter odour can be greatly reduced by a good quality diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, but they both have a very healthy diet, are taken to our local veteranarian regularly, and are bathed and have used shed contol shampoo. And the litter box problem is DEFinately a problem. I have a lot of animals and can't stand over my cats 24/7 watching them use the bathroom so I can scoop out their "stuff" every time it's there. I've tried changing all of the litter evry day, and tried what seems like hundreds of litters, and everything, but nothing, it still stinks terribly! And their litter gets strone out onto the floor too and it's a chore sweepin' it up every day! And lent rollin' the couch and my bed and vaccuming every day to stay rid of cat smell and hair is not my cup of tea :/. I would love for my babies to come back indoors though! I wish their grooming actually did some good! Lol

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What, exactly, are they eating? What brand, variety and is it dry food, canned, or both?

heinecatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I Think you need to find a new owner.  Do you know anyone who is willing to put up with a smelly litter box and a cat that sheds? 

I BEG you to not let a defensless declawed cat outside!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I Think you need to find a new owner.  Do you know anyone who is willing to put up with a smelly litter box and a cat that sheds? 
I BEG you to not let a defenseless declawed cat outside!
:yeah:
Actually someone who is willing to put up with a CAT.
Well, if you have a cat, you will have to clean the litterbox, feed, and take care of it. Sorry, but if cleaning the litterbox is not "your cup if tea", what are you doing with two cats? . Like others said, diet will greatly reduce the stool smell.... I am not sure what you are calling "extremely healthy diet", but the fact is that it is not agreeing with them. if, and the key word is IF you want to correct the issue, you can do it quite easily...
Also, how did these kitties end up declawed? Because if this was done by you and your family, weren't you advised of the commitment you were going to make to them? That they were never, EVER to be outside cats as they were now defenseless?
So here you are.... And it is time to make it right by them. They are declawed one way or another by no choice of their own, and the fact remains that they are defenseless. Having pets is a lifelong commitment. They are living breathing beings that depend on you. You made a commitment to them... For life, not to the day that you grew tired of litterbox odour or cleaning the litterbox.... That's not how it works :nono:

Sorry if this post sounds harsh, but you say these cats are your babies and you would feel terrible if something happened to them. If this is the case, imho they deserve better.... If you can't give it, then I think finding a new home for them is a good solution.... But I do think you need to think carefully about this...

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most likely one of the reasons the poop stinks so bad is diet related. What are they eating? I would look at their diet and make changes.

It is extremely risky and unadvised to allow any declawed cat access to the outdoors, even part-time without being supervised or on a harness. Not only do they have no way to defend themselves, they could get stuck somewhere needing claws to pull themselves out of the situation. I shudder to think of how dangerous this is and how you might feel if or when something happens. Please bring them back in and look at our Nutrition Forum for tips on a diet change. http://www.thecatsite.com/f/64/cat-nutrition You could post a thread in Nutrition stating what you are feeding and the stinky problem you are having. We want to help you so your cats can be safely back indoors where they belong. :)

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I strongly agree with Carolina & the others.  If taking care of them is to much for you, then you owe it to them to find them a home where they will be more taken care of.

You don't like sweeping up litter every day?  Like most of us here, try working a full time job, & doing that a few times a day, at least twice, along with all the other things being a good caregiver should do.  Feeding them good quality food, brushing them, making sure you have some playtime w/ them every day, etc......

I don't mean to sound harsh either, but I'm sure your babies feel "kicked to the curb" & are wondering what happened all of a sudden!

benjeremy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll pile on. Find the cats a good home... there is usually no shortage for good cats. Declawed cats simply are not equipped for life outside.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else abbout them not being able to defend themselves I had a cat when I was little and he was ann indoor/outdoor cat annd he had his claws but came back with a nice little cut one his ear but always came back happy and healthy so yea they wouldn't be able to survive outside. I would suugest changing their diet and grooming them either daiily or almost weekly.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone else has already stated the obvious about the fact they should not be outdoors at all. So my input will simply be about your issues with odor and shedding.

I now have 3 cats in a small 2 bedroom apt. If you come into my place you can't even tell cats live there. There is no odor, some fur about, but that's it. I have to go with the idea that it's the diet your kitties are on that is an issue. I am not extremely diligent in vacuuming and cleaning their litter either. I clean out each box 1 time a day, (maybe you need more boxes about the house). There are mats you can get to put under the litter pans to control litter being tracked everywhere. There are so may remedies to the issues you are having. Letting them outside is not one of them. Something bad WILL happen, just a matter of time. If you love them try other things first or rehome them. Your very young and yes they are a big responsibility, but they give so much back in return. Don't let this happen to them. They are lost and confused now. Suddenly kicked out of their home with no idea why. Think how you'd feel if your Dad suddenly said to you..out you go.

So read up on diet and hope this helps.

Oh and want to add that not all "good quality" cat food are equal. Many that tote they are grain free ect add things such as veggies, potato, ect as their fillers, which can also cause stinky eliminations. So I believe that your feeding "quality" food, it's just not the right ones for your kitties. Honestly, I feed mine plain old fancy feast CLASSIC turkey, Sheba turkey (pate only) and throw in wellness turkey and salmon as a treat when on sale. Their dry is Wellness grain free. No stinky litter box, low shedding.

Last edited: