Daylight Savings Time

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We sprang forward Saturday night. Personally, I think they should leave the time alone. It takes forever to reset all the clocks and you always forget one, which turns out to be an important one. There are some self-setting clocks, and those are wonderful.

How many clocks do you have, including watches and those on appliances, etc.? How many of them do you have to set?

I counted 30 and I'm sure I missed some. Wait. Make that 31 because I forgot the car clock. Only 13 of those set themselves, including the computers and phones. I have to reset every one of the others, including the thermostats. Some are easy, but some are a royal purple pain. I just know I'm going to miss at least one!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they should change it to the half-hour and call it good ;). Nah, the farther from the equator you are the more sense it makes, but it is still a pain.

Hmm, I didn't think of the thermostat, I should go change that now. I guess I have 5 to change. The thermostat, the microwave, the oven (the microwave is over the oven so it's silly to have both of them but I don't want to leave one blinking!), a digital clock in the living room, and the clock in the van. I use my phone and a tablet (for backup!) as alarm clocks, and they're self-setting.

31! Wow, that's a lot!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have five clocks that have to be manually set. One I missed the last time we changed and so it is now actually correct. I got all but one changed this time too. Now I just have to remember that one and not spend the next six months going, still got to change it, Everytime I notice it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never knew what a pain it truly is till I had a kid! It's a little better now that they aren't toddlers who nap. I've had friends getting 4:30 wake up calls. Nope. Just nope. Last night I tried changing all our clocks early so my kids would go to bed early. It didn't really work. And DS was pretty grumpy this morning.

I have 7 inside the house not counting things like phones, kindles, or the tv. I don't ever bother to change the thermostat's clock so I didn't count that either. The only one that's really a pain to change is the analog clock we use for school. Which is the one DS looks at the most of course. It's just hard to reach. He will point it out tomorrow. :lol:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kieka Kieka I do that fairly frequently with my car clock, --oh dang gotta change it but I dont have the time to do so (terrible pun LOL), oh well wait long enough and it'll be correct again ....too funny!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No DST here. I don't have to set any.
The time changed already? I thought that didn't happen until April.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Florida wants to just stay on Daylight Savings time. They added a two months to it, it's a month earlier and a month later now. We are on Daylight Savings time for 8 months out of the year now anyway so might as well make it all year. I have a harder time with my internal clock getting used to this change then when we fall back an hour. It will take me at least two weeks to get used to this now.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish they would leave the time alone. When I was working it was hard for me to adjust to but now that I'm retired it is not so bad. I only have 3 clocks that I need to adjust. I don't know know how to do the clocks on my appliances.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'd be happy staying on Savings time all year long. I like having longer days, esp in the summer when there's so much going on. To me, Standard time is simply depressing. It's not bad enough that we have cold and snow and ice, we have to add very short days into the mix.

Nine clocks here, including in the vehicles. Thankfully, the phones, the computers, my iPod, the iPads, my FitBit and the Kindle all reset themselves.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love DST, and the longer evenings, though I'll admit I had a hard time getting up this morning.;) Part of me wishes they'd leave it DST all year, but then I'm sure I'd complain during those extra dark mornings in January when it wouldn't get bright until nearly 9 AM.

I only had 6 to change inside, plus the car. So not so bad.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
4 clocks, plus one wristwatch & one car clock.. I leave the microwave blank, just clearing the blinking. The phone, laptop, and cable are automatic.
I do not bother with the thermostat, as I manually use it. I could care less about the time on it. I do not pre-program.

It is a pain. I would rather DST all year round.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All my clocks in the truck are atomic and reset automatically.

But I have some nixie tube clocks I love that are a chore to reset. These are nixie tube clocks. I love the the things,even have a nixie room thermometer.
Nixie tube clock | Etsy

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:sleep2: :sleep: :yawn: I'm so tired!
This is such a hard time of year to adjust to all this clock-changing stuff. :sigh:

I have six clocks.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We don't go on DST till the end of the month. The only timepieces that have to be reset are my husband's wristwatch as well as the clocks on our microwave and landline phone(s). Everything else, including the thermostat and my wristwatch, changes automatically.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems that every country of the world has its own rule for DST.
Over here in Europe it will begin on the night between the last weekend of March (this is the rule, whenever the last weekend is), so this year it'll be between March 24 and 25.
And it'll get back to the standard time on the last weekend in October.

It also seems to me (but I could be wrong) that every State in US has a different rule about it. Could you clear this doubt for me, please?

This said, I'm in favor for keeping DST all year long :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm......i have 4 clocks that don't reset themselves. there's the kitchen stove clock, the clock radio, a tiny digital thermometer i keep in the living room, and my wrist watch. i've reset the stove clock and the clock radio already. i don't bother with the tiny digital thermometer, and it's time is now correct since i hadn't changed it in the fall. i'm not sure i'll bother with my wrist watch -- i don't use it often, and it may very well not have been changed in the fall so might now be giving the correct time.

i don't count my microwave, as it's clock has never kept the time properly.

my computer, alarm system, kindle, and kindle fire all reset themselves.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It also seems to me (but I could be wrong) that every State in US has a different rule about it. Could you clear this doubt for me, please?
Not every state. Most follow the standard. Arizona and Hawaii don't change time, I think they're on Standard time (well, Hawaii is close to the equator so it doesn't really matter). Florida has decided to stay with DST now, so this was their last change.

Staying on DST would be OK but sunrise after 9 am in the winter doesn't sound so hot, idk. I don't mind changing.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not every state. Most follow the standard. Arizona and Hawaii don't change time, I think they're on Standard time (well, Hawaii is close to the equator so it doesn't really matter). Florida has decided to stay with DST now, so this was their last change.

Staying on DST would be OK but sunrise after 9 am in the winter doesn't sound so hot, idk. I don't mind changing.
Thanks for the explanation! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
All my clocks in the truck are atomic and reset automatically.

But I have some nixie tube clocks I love that are a chore to reset. These are nixie tube clocks. I love the the things,even have a nixie room thermometer.
Nixie tube clock | Etsy
Ultra-mega cool! Are they in the truck with you? Only you would find something nifty like that.

In postal jargon, a nixie is a piece of mail with a bad address. We used to have a special team of incredible clerks who knew every nook and cranny of the city and much of the USA who would figure out what an address, city or state was supposed to be. They were called Nixie clerks and were the postal clerk elite.