Day-Old Abandoned Litter of Five

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Sorry! I went to stay at my sister's house for two days (with the kittens, of course) to help her look after the kids so it was a little tough to find free time between kitten babies and human babies. 

The kittens, I'm glad to say, are doing well!

Their current weights are

Big Black-- 150g

Big Tabby-- 165g

Small Black-- 152g

Small Tabby-- 169g

Black and white- 150g

so they're all gaining nicely! 

Currently my only concern would be Black-and-white sucking on her forearm between meals. The fur there isn't looking so great 'cos she keeps getting it matted by sucking on it. I'm hoping she'll grow out of that, though. Aside from that, everything seems to be going smoothly! Their diarrhea is slowly going away, they're eating well--I was thinking maybe it's about time I increased the amount again? Maybe to 6 or 7ml?

The KMR seems to have gotten delayed, possibly due to it being Chinese New Year, but thankfully they seem to be doing fine on this milk. Side note--while I was rushing to see if a new petshop near my sister's house might have the KMR and get back before it was time to feed the kittens, I ended up running past this awesome lion dance which was really beautiful to see!

Side-side note-- if a video goes viral on youtube of a girl running past two Chinese lions, and squeezing her way through the crowd while apologizing profusely and saying something about kittens waiting back home, that's me. 

Do you think it could be that the formula I'm giving them right now IS the powdered KMR, though? I mean, I don't know what it is because it's just powder in a clear package, but seeing as they're doing so well on it, could it be a possibility? 
They are gaining fantastically now!!

The black and white sucking on his arm, remember my explanation about sucking on each other? Nature dictates the big drive they have to suck, intended for survival, and bottle fed kids don't get to suck nearly the amt that nursing from mom gives them.

If you think about it, babies will nurse for short periods of time on their moms, approx 3 times per hour.

Plus during their naps are often latched on as well.

So this is where that comes from. Later on, they will go for each other, also common will be the litter has a victim, not always the smallest either, but one is chosen somehow to be the comforting kitten, and several will pile up and suck on his neck! He doesn't seem to mind either, almost like a bonding thing. Funny when they first wake up, the victim kitten pops up and has it's fur all soggy and spiked according to however many kittens were sucking his neck :)

A bit older and divided up,  then they no longer have that but some still don't get it out of their system they will suck on a blanket, etc. 

Yes, I would up the amt of formula now, the more they want, go for it and allow them to have it. You are no longer forcing it on them, so they know to stop when they are fully satisfied.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
GREAT JOB!!!!!  Think of what would have happened to this precious little family if you had not been there with your kind heart!!

Their weight gains are great & you pulled them all through.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustytiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the support! I really appreciate everything you've all done for me! This little guys couldn't have made it this far without you!

So I've upped the amount of formula, and they're all gaining weight nicely but one of them seems to have gotten an eye infection.

I'm going to take her to the vet, but her eye is looking pretty bad. It was closed shut with some kind of green goop, but I rubbed it off and she can open it again, but not fully and I can see her third eyelid. I'm really worried, and the vet isn't open for another 8 and a half hours. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you all for the support! I really appreciate everything you've all done for me! This little guys couldn't have made it this far without you!

So I've upped the amount of formula, and they're all gaining weight nicely but one of them seems to have gotten an eye infection.

I'm going to take her to the vet, but her eye is looking pretty bad. It was closed shut with some kind of green goop, but I rubbed it off and she can open it again, but not fully and I can see her third eyelid. I'm really worried, and the vet isn't open for another 8 and a half hours. 

No worries, eye infections are very common in babies, they will give you some antibiotic eye ointment to apply twice a day, it works fast too :)

Glad they're all gaining nicely!!

dustytiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg, you have no idea how relieved that makes me feel! My mind immediately jumped to the worst case scenario and I was all like "SHE'S GONNA LOSE AN EYE!! What will I DO? Do one-eyed cats have special needs? I need to google how to take care of a one-eyed cat!" and then I foolishly found a LOT of troubling images on google and died a little on the inside. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Omg, you have no idea how relieved that makes me feel! My mind immediately jumped to the worst case scenario and I was all like "SHE'S GONNA LOSE AN EYE!! What will I DO? Do one-eyed cats have special needs? I need to google how to take care of a one-eyed cat!" and then I foolishly found a LOT of troubling images on google and died a little on the inside. 
You are SO funny!! Stop googling! It scares the hell out of people, shows the worst case scenarios, etc.

Expect since seeing one baby with this, others to also. No big deal, but do NOT contaminate the tube! Squirt a small amt on your other wrist or table, whatever then close it fast. Fast is because it has a vacuum effect and will keep coming out, wasting alot of med.

The wrist or table first is so the tube stays free of eye infection germs. Otherwise it sometimes will just keep getting passed around.

Squeeze some out, pick the baby up in your left hand by scruff, which helps keep eyes open, swipe some up with your fingertip and smear it across the eyeball lightly. One fast swipe and it's done. No burn or anything.

Also, they should be nearing 3 weeks about now or very soon.

Be sure if you suddenly notice anyone or even all of them not wanting to eat, or eat as much, be sure to let me know asap.

I will talk more about that IF it happens, basically the key is, make sure whether they want it or not, to take in their usual amts.

They may not due to their setbacks prior.

dustytiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the instructions! I should be headed to the vet for the medicine soon!

Also, I think that Little Black is actually starting to reject the bottle. I thought maybe he just had a lack of appetite because he seems to be sucking on his siblings genitals a lot, but now I'm worried he's just not taking to the bottle anymore. What should I do? Do I force-feed him with a syringe?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you for the instructions! I should be headed to the vet for the medicine soon!

Also, I think that Little Black is actually starting to reject the bottle. I thought maybe he just had a lack of appetite because he seems to be sucking on his siblings genitals a lot, but now I'm worried he's just not taking to the bottle anymore. What should I do? Do I force-feed him with a syringe?
Right on time, this is what I have mentioned to you a couple times about.

It's something that I have never heard others talk about before, but I have seen it happen far too many times to not notice it.

Between my own experience, my fosters who are bottle feeders, and also teaching neonatal/newborn kitten care so people will contact me asking what's wrong.

Although it will occasionally be seen in nursing kittens with a mom, it's alot more common in bottle kittens. I can't explain why it happens, my own theory is something to do with bottle feeding not being natural, and maybe something in their mental development as a bottle kitten, no telling for sure though.

But just around turning 3 weeksd old, give or take maybe 2-3 days before, and up to 4 days after the 3 week mark, suddenly a baby or two, or even all of them but maybe starting different days, will act like they aren't hungry. They either won't suck the bottle at all, or maybe a couple mls and that's it.

This will make a baby die, they will do it for long enough to become dehydrated and starve to death.

SO! It's nothing to panic about, it just takes a little more time and effort to get them through this period.

So be watching how much they do take in with the bottle, and it's up to you to force feed via syringe.

The goal is to not allow them to take in any less than they normally do. Period. 

They will pull this for a good 2 days, on the third day they will start to go back to feeding on their own again.

So in answer to your question, yes, you MUST get each of them to take the same amts as they have been. No slacking at all.

You'll do fine!! 

Last edited:

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A lot of times my fosters have switched to solid foods.  Sometimes the sending humane society switches them early because they don't have a foster to feed them. However, I don't remember any giving up the bottle on their own.  Again, you are so kind to be caring for them & making sure the get vet care.  Hats off to you!!

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're all waiting and praying.  Just need to hold fast that sometimes no news is good news.  Just waiting for the word that it is time for tears of joy!!! We cat lovers are hang
ing in there girl, for you!!

dustytiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry it took me a while to reply! My brother's family was visiting with their new baby for a few days and balancing them and the kittens had my hands full! It's like everyone I know is getting babies lately. It's both wonderful, also very awkward because people say "If you can make five kittens pee and poo, you can change a baby's diaper!" and I CAN'T. I JUST CAN'T.

That aisde, not to worry! The kittens are fine! The one that was refusing the bottle kept at it for a day or two but then suddenly decided that the bottle was good enough for him again. I'm glad to say they're all gaining weight and active, too. Their teeth are even starting to grow! Since all the extended family have finally left, I managed to take a few pictures of them!

Black-and-White's new chewtoy happened to be me.

Big Tabby trying to escape like the little Houdini she is

Little Black contemplating the mysteries of the universe

Little Tabby copying big tabby

The stillest Little Tabby can get without being asleep is just a soft vibrate so the camera STILL can't focus

Little Tabby accidentally getting smushed against the wall by Big Tabby, who likes to pounce a LOT

WHY ME!!

Black-and-White looking a little like Yoda?? I swear I can feel the Force within her!

I wanted to get pictures of Big Black, but every single one of them was too blurry to use and it became feeding time so I had to put the camera away. I can only come to the conclusion that he is, in fact, a vampire kitten that cannot be photographed properly.

Anyway, once again thanks for all your support! It's been tough but it seems like they're finally stable! 

We're trying to think of names for them, but we all keep fighting over them! I like Luca for Big Tabby, but nobody seems to agree. 

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously your babies have turned the corner, any new pictures of them now that they are a couple of weeks older?