Day after spay - Incision look ok?

steven920

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As the title state yesterday my cat got spayed. She was moving well the night right after the surgery, guessing from the drugs she got.
Today she has been moving extremely slowly and gingerly.
I hope I'm just being a new paranoid cat owner but I feel the need to ask. Here are some pics I was able to capture.
She definitely seems to be in pain when making more than just typical walking movements.
I can't tell if this is 'excessive' redness or swelling since some is to be expected. Also I felt that lump and it is a big hard.
Hopefully I can wait till morning to get checked out if necessary.
She also seems to be noticeably thinner where the procedure was done as shown in the final picture. Is this normal?
Thanks for any feedback.

1.jpg
2.JPG
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi-call your vet as soon as you possibly can. Her moving slowly like that, plus that redness needs to be checked out by a vet.
She also seems to be noticeably thinner where the procedure was done as shown in the final picture. Is this normal?
I don't think so.

Can you find a different vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

steven920

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't get this done at a vet because they only offer spays twice a month. Went to a different place that basically do spays all the time.

steven920

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can call a number as an 'emergency situation' or wait about 11 hours till my vet opens.

Siamic

Avid Siamese Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
I am confused as only a veterinarian can do surgery. I am guessing you had this done at a low-cost spay and neuter clinic? A lump is normal - that is the body attempting to fill the empty space with serum (often called a seroma). This will go away on its own. Sometimes the result of too much activity or it just happens regardless of that sometimes. I am, however, worried about the redness. That part is not that normal - or at least in my experience, it is not. The sunken-in appearance and slow walking is often evidence that they are in some degree of pain. Does she have pain medication for today and tomorrow? Typically onsior or metacam is sent home for a few days following surgery.

Siamic

Avid Siamese Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
I see what appears to be black material on the floor. Does she still have her stiches in?

steven920

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am confused as only a veterinarian can do surgery. I am guessing you had this done at a low-cost spay and neuter clinic? A lump is normal - that is the body attempting to fill the empty space with serum (often called a seroma). This will go away on its own. Sometimes the result of too much activity or it just happens regardless of that sometimes. I am, however, worried about the redness. That part is not that normal - or at least in my experience, it is not. The sunken-in appearance and slow walking is often evidence that they are in some degree of pain. Does she have pain medication for today and tomorrow? Typically onsior or metacam is sent home for a few days following surgery.
Yes, low-cost spay clinic.
They only offered pain meds but they didn't make me think they were necessary so I passed. Maybe a mistake.

steven920

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see what appears to be black material on the floor. Does she still have her stiches in?
That's just me not clearing enough. If they weren't in wouldn't the wound be open? It's been less than 36 hours since the procedure.

Siamic

Avid Siamese Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
It would not necessarily be all of the way open as there are two layers of stitches - internal and external. But you should be able to see the stitches on the outside and I am just not able to see them from the picture perspective so I would not sweat it. It can be easy to think that pain medications are not necessary, especially if you have been lucky in the past as younger female cats tend to take it much easier. OR if this is your first time getting a cat spayed. Some cats also take pain much differently - some hardly notice it, some take it very hard. This is the reason I make owners take pain medications home as part of the fee, but in a low-cost clinic, that is not often practical. I think it is okay to wait until tomorrow personally, but I think you should get seen.

steven920

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It would not necessarily be all of the way open as there are two layers of stitches - internal and external. But you should be able to see the stitches on the outside and I am just not able to see them from the picture perspective so I would not sweat it. It can be easy to think that pain medications are not necessary, especially if you have been lucky in the past as younger female cats tend to take it much easier. OR if this is your first time getting a cat spayed. Some cats also take pain much differently - some hardly notice it, some take it very hard. This is the reason I make owners take pain medications home as part of the fee, but in a low-cost clinic, that is not often practical. I think it is okay to wait until tomorrow personally, but I think you should get seen.
Thank you for taking the time to look and provide me with your feedback. It's sincerely appreciated.

steven920

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's all good folks. It looked a lot better today than in these pictures from last night. Less redness. Just got some more antibiotics and some pain meds.