Day 1 adoption of 2 biology sister of 7 month - food and water

Firsttimecatowner1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
Just adopt 2 7 month cat, so far there scare of us. I get that. I got them IAMS dry food, but they haven’t touch it.

the Forster home, they give them temptation threat with I think beef flavour, we got the tuna and salmons.

i try to feed them I guess they don’t like the one I got. In foster home they seem to eat the temptation beef.

I guess they like it or used to it.
1 cat is hiding while the one one still in the transport bag and don’t want to come out.

i guess that normal behaviour
Just need to let them do their own thing.

i haven’t see them go to litter box or try any of my dry food or drink water yet

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you literally just brought them home today this sounds normal.
Give them a quiet place to relax so they can calm down. Lots of new smells and sounds for them to get used to.
Make sure everything they need is in the room; litter box, food, water, some toys and places to hide.
They may not go to the box or drink for a while if really timid. They can hold it in longer than you think.
Hopefully by tomorrow they will be less stressed and start coming out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Firsttimecatowner1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you literally just brought them home today this sounds normal.
Give them a quiet place to relax so they can calm down. Lots of new smells and sounds for them to get used to.
Make sure everything they need is in the room; litter box, food, water, some toys and places to hide.
They may not go to the box or drink for a while if really timid. They can hold it in longer than you think.
Hopefully by tomorrow they will be less stressed and start coming out.
Thanks! I didn’t know that they can hold it longer.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I didn’t know that they can hold it longer.
One of mine didn't use the box, or eat for 3 days.
Hid under our guest room bed 24/7, hissing at me whenever I'd get down to see and talk to her.
Finally the night of the 3rd day she went to the bathroom, and ate some food, thankfully because I was on the verge of taking her into the vet.
Took another week before I could interact with her without her hissing all the time then she decided overnight to suddenly her new home was a nice place to be.

Firsttimecatowner1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both kitten don’t hiss. They let me pet them on the bank or head scratch, but that it.

For me, I feel 3 days that very long. Im to scare that they will starve or something.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both kitten don’t hiss. They let me pet them on the bank or head scratch, but that it.

For me, I feel 3 days that very long. Im to scare that they will starve or something.
That's a good sign that you can touch them and not hissing, so they aren't really afraid of you.
I think by tomorrow they will be much more at home. Really sounds like it will be ok sooner than later

Firsttimecatowner1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a quick update.
they now find a new binding spot under the couch.
nothing I can do to prevent that. Now if I try to let them smell my hand, they would turn away..
I’ll let them rest and step out for a bit

Firsttimecatowner1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Day 1 at night:
So we do what we normally do, but they refuge under the sofa, but we still let them.

couple of time we would just sit On the floor just so our stuff and let them smell us from far.

we turn off the light and went to bed.
Overnight we hear them use the cat tree and they also went litter. I put some treat on cat treat before it seem they eat all of them. I’m not sure they eat the dry food much. I did fill the bowl in case they need to.
The water is those one that you flip upside down and put on a stand and it would refill it after they drink more. So unsure how much they drink.
They did went on second floor. I have another litter there. I found some litter on the ground. But all door were closed.

day 2:
I clean the litter in morning, put cat treat again on tree but they still under the sofa. Wasn’t my choice to pick that room. GF choice. So can’t argue much.
I sit on the ground next to the sofa closed to them to do my own thing and they still scare. I put some toy under the sofa but they don’t even touch it. I also put the treat really near them and no they don’t want it.

so now I’m in my room now to let them do their own thing.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you put on some cat calming music? Any streaming platform will have some with purring in it. Having any kind of music on will be helpful, as they won't be jumping at every new sound.

If you can also provide some boxes with blankets or towels in the room as some alternatives to under the couch, they might take to those!

You can try sitting and reading in the room, or scrolling on your phone with headphones on while the music plays to get them used to you.

You can place treats around the room and/or catnip to encourage exploring.

Firsttimecatowner1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Day 2-3:
I have put calm music and it does help.
Day 3: sort lost one of the kitten. Turn out it went to another bedroom and find a way to get into the base of the bed that have storage in it. Must have left 1 open and manage to get inside. Took me 10 hour to find it. I was so stress from 7 am until 5 pm.

There some huge progress. Both kitten still hide under the couch. Day 2 at night, I was working from home and decide to pay them a visit and I did put my hand under the couch with a toy and they seem to love it and I did touch them and both enjoy it.

couple of time they went outside the couch and would sniff me and 1 of the sister decide to smell my nose, which is a huge breakthrough. But still hide under the couch.

Day 3, were lost 1 of the sister and found her, both still play with us under the couch. Would come out to eat and eventually would sniff us again and be pet outside of the couch. Thing are going great. Waiting for Amazon delivery for more toys and some comfy bed also. Will return the one I have. They don’t seem to like it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Day 2-3:
I have put calm music and it does help.
Day 3: sort lost one of the kitten. Turn out it went to another bedroom and find a way to get into the base of the bed that have storage in it. Must have left 1 open and manage to get inside. Took me 10 hour to find it. I was so stress from 7 am until 5 pm.

There some huge progress. Both kitten still hide under the couch. Day 2 at night, I was working from home and decide to pay them a visit and I did put my hand under the couch with a toy and they seem to love it and I did touch them and both enjoy it.

couple of time they went outside the couch and would sniff me and 1 of the sister decide to smell my nose, which is a huge breakthrough. But still hide under the couch.

Day 3, were lost 1 of the sister and found her, both still play with us under the couch. Would come out to eat and eventually would sniff us again and be pet outside of the couch. Thing are going great. Waiting for Amazon delivery for more toys and some comfy bed also. Will return the one I have. They don’t seem to like it.
That's great progress!

I would wait on the bed. It can take a month or two for them to warm up to it.