Dave The Stray With Fiv

pearjas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I’m new here. I kind of wanted some opinions as I’m trying to do what’s best for a local stray but afraid I’m going to make a mistake. First off, I have a Bombay cat named Rachel. She’s 14 and very set in her ways obviously as she’s always been my only cat.

Dave is a local stray that was living on my porch. He is a Maine coon. Dave has an interesting story. He first appeared in February of 2017 and clinged to one of the other two local strays in the area that was around here all the time. They did everything together. Unfortunately, that stray passed away in October. My neighbors, who also watched over the 3 local cats (they practically lived at our houses) moved in November. So you could say Dave was kind of lost..

I did a bit of digging and discovered there was another family across the street that was going to take Dave in; had him neutered, got him chipped, dental work, collar, etc. He was coming in and out of their house via their doggy door until he just abruptly stopped coming back, which is when he started hanging out by my house.

The family that tried to take him in advised me of several facts about Dave the vet told them. First, Dave is about 7-9 years old (I was shocked). He also has FIV. I had to do a lot of reading on that. Well, Dave seemed content living on my front porch and I even bought him a heated house (which he doesn’t use). Due to this, I bought him a heated blanket/bed which he was using constantly. Here in Missouri lately, the temperatures have been hitting the negatives overnight, so the family across the street and I developed a plan to help make Dave’s winter a bit easier.

They took him, but had him in a cage. When they caught him, he was quite disturbed and frantic. It was not a pretty sight and I did not want to do it that way, but it was for his own good I guess. While over there, he was unhappy, lying in his litter box, etc. They asked if perhaps my basement would be better, so as of last Friday, that was the plan.

Dave came over in the cage. After letting him out, he ran and like Macguiver seemed to test every aspect of my basement for some type of hole. He was going behind things I hadn’t ever seen and it was just not a comfortable situation, so I put my cat in my bedroom and brought Dave upstairs. He has adapted and is doing pretty well – though he wants to drink out of the toilet like a dog!

I’ve noticed he sneezes quite often and his poop is very runny a lot of the time. He also seems to have some kind of allergies and scratches a lot (which he has been doing from the beginning). The coldest is likely over (no more negative temperatures at least) and I already know he’s been outside several times when the overnight low was around 11 or 12. The question now is how cold is too cold for him? He has a heated blanket/pad that he was laying on, and I can only assume he’ll lay back down on it once he goes back outside. I am hoping he goes right back to doing what he was doing before and I can even let him back in if needed if the weather gets too cold again.

As far as his other issues, I sure wish I could help a bit more, but I seriously doubt he’d want to go to the vet particularly after how he reacted when he was caged the first time. I am just trying to look out for him, but also make him happy as well. He seems to like the outdoors, but I also wonder if he’d be better off in someone’s home… but I just don’ t know.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for trying so hard to take care of this cat! SIGH...he's been out so long that he'll probably do fine back outside. He has the heated house available, and he uses his heated blanket, so once the worst of the cold is over, you should be ok with him. I do wish you could manage to get him to the vet, though.

It would be ideal if someone could take him on, since he has settled in fairly well in your home (if not your basement), check with your local SPCA for groups working to rescue FIV positive cats. There are such groups all over the country.

Let me know what is happening with Dave. I know you would be willing to keep him, but it really would be grossly unfair to poor Rachel. I'm sure her little kitty nose is out of joint enough right now! And be sure to clean your house thoroughly after Dave is situated elsewhere. FIV is usually only transmitted through a serious bite, and isn't considered actually "contagious," but you don't want to take chances with your girl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pearjas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the response and the link. :) I am at least glad my thinking doesn't seem way off base. I ultimately don't know what he'd like best - living the outside life or being in a home somewhere. I have him walking around my house right now as when he was in my basement, he seemed like he was going to try to escape every way he could. I am glad my cat is willing to make the sacrifice right now. I believe I am going to let him go back out Saturday morning, which is when the weather turns a bit warmer around here. I'm expecting him to stay living on my porch (with the occasional trips elsewhere).

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many, many cats who have lived outside all of their lives will continue to do so even with a choice. Just do the best you can for him, which you have been doing all along!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pearjas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And thank you for doing all you can for this guy. I appreciate it, and I KNOW he does!