daughter cat chasing her mom cat

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long since you've taken them in? Were they adopted from a shelter? Or strays/ferals you've rescued? Are they spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rhyanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, mama showed up one winter with 3 girls, January 2017. sadly only Precious is left out of the 3 girls. tanks to the feral cat coalition of Portland Oregon. I have been trying to get her to stop chasing her mom for the past 3 years.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since it's been going on for 3 years, I'm not sure whether it can be stopped now, or not. But once she became an adult, Precious probably no longer thought of mama cat as her mom, but just another cat. You could try separating them, and doing re-introductions, but again, after so much time, it might not make a difference.

Even though this article is for initial introductions, there might be something helpful in it.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What tactics did you use to try to stop Precious from chasing her mom? What does mama cat do when Precious chases her?

The best way I know to stop the chasing is to pick up Precious EACH AND EVERY TIME she starts to chase her mom, either say a firm 'No' (or hiss at her - pick one), and place her in 1-2 minute time out behind a closed door. However, you have to do it consistently, relentlessly, and without fail. When something like this initially starts, it can take weeks to get the 'chaser' to stop. So, given how long this has been going on, I would try the introductions, and institute in that process the consistent 'discipline' for Precious. The introduction method could help to break the habit a bit, and might then make the 'discipline' easier to enact.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rhyanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since it's been going on for 3 years, I'm not sure whether it can be stopped now, or not. But once she became an adult, Precious probably no longer thought of mama cat as her mom, but just another cat. You could try separating them, and doing re-introductions, but again, after so much time, it might not make a difference.

Even though this article is for initial introductions, there might be something helpful in it.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
ok thanks