Dating with Cats

catlady4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So short story, I recently left my previous partner. Now, I'm back in the dating world and man do I feel a bit awkward! Everyone seems to either have dogs or be allergic to cats and these are bit of deal breakers.

Has anyone run into these problems? I've had people say "leave your cat overnight she will be fine" or lie to me and finally admit to a "minor" cat allergy and thats already a red flag in my books! I'm also hoping to acquire one of my families cats after graduation so I'll be having two fur balls with me and I cannot be with someone who has dogs (I just don't trust dogs and one of the cats is very skittish and terrified).

Tell me how ya'll do it!

This is fatty Mekju, a cat my family rescued. He is the love of my cat life and I am hoping to finally bring him home to live with me since he was rehomed to a family friend and he's my baby. This is Moody, and she's a furball with teeth who loves to bite and chew and she's turning 5 months soon!
IMG_3120.jpeg
IMG_3315.jpeg

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it depends where you meet these people. I haven't had this issue, but I primarily use dating apps and one of the first things I figure out is whether someone A. has cats or B. likes cats or C. isn't allergic.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With the right person; the pet in question can be worked around instead of an issue or automatic deal breaker. Actually having someone say that a certain pet is a deal breaker right off the bat would be a red flag to me. Except maybe tarantulas. I get that one. :lol2:

DH thought he was allergic to cats until last spring when allergy testing showed its actually dogs. We've been together for 19 years and married for 17. My last cat passed away 3 weeks after we got married and had been sick; so she never lived with us. We were cat-less for almost 2 years and DH saw how being without a cat was for me. So we made it work. We adopted 2 kittens. They never slept in our bed (they slept with each other and kept each other company). We kept the back of the couch and places they like to sleep covered with something easily washed. He takes allergy medicine anyway.

I'm (obviously) glad I didn't immediately rule him out over a cat allergy. I'd have lost out on so much! Starting with us but also our kids...our home. So many experiences. We had a large group of mutual friends so I got to know him and know that he is a kind, thoughtful and unselfish person. He loves me and knows how cats are a part of who I am. I love him so it doesn't bother me to compromise on things like no cats in the bedroom and having some extra cleaning. He's worth it. And I assume he'd say I'm worth it to him. :lol2: Love is a choice and works best with 2 people who are willing to put someone else before themselves. Without that...it's a much bigger struggle than it needs to be.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't have any cats when I met my husband. He was the one who said he had one on his dating profile, and that was a plus for me!

Honestly, you may just have to weed out more people. The cat lovers are out there!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a dog when I met my husband after the dog moved out with my daughter and we only had one of four kids at home we moved to a smaller house. So I suggested a cat hubby said no I said house was to small for a dog and our first cat moved in. Now hubby likes cat's I think people just don't get cat's. I know alot of guys that have cat's or like cat's. They are there. Good luck.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work with a women who was obese, had a cat and was man crazy. She lost a hundred pounds and met a truck driver. She asked him to move in with her and he said she would have to get rid of her cat because he was allergic to them. So she had her cat put to sleep. Over time she started putting on weight and he left her. So what does she do? She goes and gets another cat.