Dasequin For Cat With Bladder Inflammation - D Mannose/slippery Elm?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you considered adding marshmallow root to her protocol? Myself, I prepare both slippery elm and marshmallow root as decoctions (simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes, covered. remove from heat & keep covered until the steam returns to the decoction) because our tradition says that the medicine is best released. To store the extra, put in a glass jar and refrigerate without straining. MR is excellent for bladder and lungs, very soothing. You can also ask your vet or a holistic vet about adding elderberry. You can also ask your vet about tumeric extract because it helps reduce inflammation - I have seen it recommended for ibs and for stomatitis.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been using Marshmallow that I ordered from Iherb. Nature's Answer, Marshmallow, Alcohol Free, 2,000 mg, 1 fl oz (30 ml)

I give 7 drops 1x a day. The cornsilk
is another great option. Both are very soothing to the urinary tract. With the cornsilk there is a crisis dosage of 7 drops 4x a day until urine clumps appear normal and less frequent. Once better you can drop to 7 drops 2x a day.

You might want to check out the facebook group Feline Lower Urinary Tract. It's a closed group so you have to apply, but it's fantastic. They have so much information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will look into that group. She’s making big pees. She used her litter box over night. I noticed the feliway diffusers was empty and the refill arrived yesterday but I doubt the feliway being empty for a few days would cause her to pee on the rug again

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m happy to order the marshmallow root liquid and the corn silk liquid. With the Cosequin sprinkle capsules coming would I give her all three?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m happy to order the marshmallow root liquid and the corn silk liquid. With the Cosequin sprinkle capsules coming would I give her all three?
You don't need both Marshmallow and Corn silk. I started with Marshmallow as my cat didn't seem to like the taste of the Corn silk. But when I started this regime my cat was so sick. I just finished the Marshmallow and switched to the Corn silk. He is fine with it now.

I also give Cosequin. I only give 1 capsule once a day. I mix it with the slippery elm and baby food.

Just be sure if you order the Marshmallow or Corn silk that it is alcohol free.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ordered the two brands referenced earlier natures answer. I think one of them tastes bad after reading the reviews? So to recap I’ll should keep up with the baby food, I’m going to try the Cosequin sprinkle capsules she’s 11 lbs so that’s two capsules per day so 1 in am and 1 pm. I can add the marshmallow or corn silk to the baby food mixture does this seem right?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I ordered the two brands referenced earlier natures answer. I think one of them tastes bad after reading the reviews? So to recap I’ll should keep up with the baby food, I’m going to try the Cosequin sprinkle capsules she’s 11 lbs so that’s two capsules per day so 1 in am and 1 pm. I can add the marshmallow or corn silk to the baby food mixture does this seem right?
Yes, just mix everything up and give in baby food. I give slippery elm, probiotic and cosequin nightly in the baby food. I give the corn silk in his wet food.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:argh:UUGGGHHHH
The cosequin arrived yesterday and I tried to give her a full capsule in baby food with the rest of the 1/2 capsule of slippery elm and 1/2 capsule of s boullardi and she very hesitantly licked it. This morning no dice, she wouldn't eat the baby food. Tried mixing another plate with some fancy feast w/ gravy, nope wouldn't touch that either.
Not sure what to do......
what else is good to hide this stuff in to get them to eat it?

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am at a complete loss. Aurora refuses to eat any food or baby food with Cosequin mixed in. I tried skipping the Cosequin and just giving her regular food with the slippery elm and corn silk mixed in, nope won’t touch that either. She’s been sneezing up a storm the past week. She literally opens her mouth a little like she’s doing the ah ah ah choo and then the sneeze comes. Eyes and nose are clear nothing coming from either. Frustrated because without the supplements she will pee on the rug again. I tried plain yogurt as well with the supplements and no dice. Can the slippery elm liquid be given directly into her mouth?

Last edited:

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She just peed on the rug again now. I got desperate and estimated how much of the dropper was 7 drops and gave it directly in her mouth. I hope that isn’t bad. I also am not sure if this stuff needs to be refrigerated at all. shadowsrescue shadowsrescue can you please see my last few posts and help? Thanks!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The marshmallow and corn silk do not need to be refrigerated. Just be sure you are only giving one and not both. Too much can cause diarrhea or upset stomach.

If she has a kitty cold, it can affect her ability to smell. Cats often will not eat what they cannot smell. It sounds to me as though she is not feeling well. I would try to get her to the vet.

You can syringe all meds. I used to mix them all with thinned baby food and syringe into the mouth.

Did you join the Facebook group I mentioned? They really can provide you with so much help.

Also is she peeing in the same location each time? If so, how are you cleaning it?
How many litter boxes do you have? I would add another box if you can.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue
Thanks! I have those massive jumbo litter boxes two of them. When Thai started i went and bought two more for the basement area where she is peeing. She pees in this area rug but picks a different spot. I purchased the zep cleaner you suggested and have cleaned the spots multiple times on the front and underside of the rug. I spoke with the vet Friday and she said just keep doing what I’m doing. She said I could bring her in for another convenia injection but I felt since the last time we did such comprehensive testing and the culture came back with no bacteria only white blood cells that it would be a waste to stress her out in the car and pay for convenia. I gave her the corn silk directly into her mouth again this morning. I mixed the s boullardi and slippery elm into wet food and she ate half. I might have to scrap the cosequin she just refuses to eat any of that when I mix it with her food or baby food. Ugh I don’t have Facebook if you can believe that. I thought it was a regular yahoo group but without Facebook I can’t join. I also clean the litter boxes multiple times a day. Today so far she’s eating so hopefully giving her the liquid corn silk directly by mouth will help.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you pill her? You could give her the cosequin that way. Either in a pill pocket or I like to use a pill syringe/gun.

I would worry a bit about the sneezing.

I like the Zep cleaner. It works well. You are definitely covered with litter boxes.

I use tons of puppy pee pads. I have a feral cat ( now semi feral who I moved inside the house) who sprays. He has stopped spraying outside of the box, but now only elevator butt pees. His is stress related as well as he just likes to pee that way. I now use rubbermaid high sided storage boxes. I have puppy pee pads everywhere.

How often are you giving the cornsilk? For a starter dose, it's 4x a day. The Marshmallow is only needed 1x per day. For some reason, the corn silk appears to work better.

Have you tried anything for stress? Feliway plug ins, flower essences, calming treats or liquids ( composure).

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I have the feliway multi cat plug ins one in the basement where Aurora spends most of her time and another in the kitchen area where Mulan is most of the time. I was thinking she must have a cold. Her new spot was in the master bathroom we have marble floors and for some reason the air conditioner really makes it cold in there. She was sleeping on the bath Matt for over a week during the day and then the sneezing started. I’m guessing she has a cold? Eyes and nose have nothing coming out. I read you can’t really so much for a cold but just ride it out. Do you think it’s something else? I am giving the corn silk 2x per day. It just arrived Friday from amazon so this is new. Same with the cosequin. I can try and pill her though she fights. Mulan gets a poll daily and she’s good about it. Aurora was also getting cerenia because she throws up bile. I stopped that for awhile but she’s throwing up again and it’s pink tinged so I’ll have to start that back up again. Aurora will start peeing in the litter box squatting but does stand up and her tail shakes all over not sure what that means. I went to Home Depot and got these plastic corrogated boards and I tape pee pads to those for splash guards. Works like a charm. I’m afraid to get rid of the rug she’s peeing on because I don’t want her seeking out a new pee pee spot in the main level of the house. At least an area rug on a concrete floor is easier to clean.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am also wondering if there is a liquid alternative to the Cosequin sprinkle capsules I can give her directly into her mouth?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the corn silk is more important than the Cosequin. I would start to work your way towards corn silk 4x a day. It can take a week to 10 days to notice a difference.

How do your cats get along? Is there a chance she is marking?

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They get along for the most part. No fights. Mulan will chase her sometimes and Aurora hates that but it’s not often and if I see Mulan wanting to chase I divert her attention. I can give her the cornsilk multiple times a day direct via mouth so this isn’t an issue.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue
Well, I have been giving her the corn silk liquid now 4x per day directly in her mouth without any issues. She has been taking it really well and then eating wet food immediately after. She pees every 5 hours or so and I am very diligent to follow her to the litter box and watch from a distance. She is peeing in the box every 5 out of 6 times. I have noticed since this all started that she wags her tail to the left/right and seems upset - when she does pee though there is no crying and the volume is large. I honestly don't know what to think at this point. Could this be behaviorial? She has the life of a royal, gets food whenever she wants, plays all the time, no idea what she could be upset about. She seems very much at ease, wants love and petting. The vet suggested doing another convenia injection but since the culture had some back negative last time I'm hesitant. What benefit would that have to repeat another antibiotic injection? She said the urine was cloudy and there were white cells. I don't know what that really means. She refuses the cosequin mixed in various things so I have given up. I emailed the vet tonight to see if there is something I can inject instead - much easier and I give them b12 weekly so I don't mind giving shots at all.
Does anything here ring any bells? Im really at a loss and not many people are answering my posts - so I have to keep bugging you! LOL sorry!!!!