darwin's pet cat food?

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
been doing some research on prepared raw foods to try and get some more variety for my fur family.  i'm still making their slightly cooked chicken but have been rotating with turkey stella & chewy's now that i can find it.  has anyone used darwin's pet food?  and does anyone else have any suggestions aside form hare today (which i'm already considering - i'm thinking about ordering some of their rabbit).

lcat4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seen previous threads discussing Darwins, you could do a search for prior comments.  I haven't used the food, but looked into it, it's reasonably priced and cats seem to like it, but is primarily made from chicken necks with very high bone content.  That's not necessarily bad, but I saw another post you made about a CRF kitty and phosphorus/calcium concerns, so this should probably be your focus when considering this food.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the home cooked i feel about 60% of the time is low phos, so i'm comfortable feeding 'normal' foods to my group the other 40% of the time.  i'm looking for something that's readily available that my cats like that isn't going to cost me a fortune.  i'll do a search for it, thanks.

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am just starting my IBS cat on it today. I'm hoping for a "face-down!"

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Out of curiosity I looked at the ingredients for the Darwin's and found this:

Ingredients
Free-Range Meat and Organs (98.5%): Chicken Meat, Chicken Necks (Including Bone), Chicken Gizzard, Chicken Livers, and Chicken Hearts.

Trace Minerals and vitamins (1%): Tomato Pomace, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Magnesium Proteinate, Choline Chloride, Inulin, Sea Salt, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12, Iodine (EDDI), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3

Marine Oils (0.5%): Fish Oil 18/12 EPA/DHA (Derived from sea-harvested wild Sardines), Cod liver Oil (Derived from sea-harvested wild Alaska Cod)

Chicken meat is listed before chicken necks, and the food includes hearts and gizzard. Wouldn't that ease your bone concerns a little?

I think I'll try some for my boys.

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just heated up a few tablespoons and he did a face plant into it!!!! I am so stoked! He hasn't eaten this much in ages. In fact, he is licking the bowl across the floor as I write this.