Darwin Raw Cat Food?

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Being reading about raw, and considering allowing my cat to eat raw. Saw that Darwin has a cheaper one time start sample. Just wondering what people think of Darwin raw? Heard some people worry about it having too much bone? This is a concern since I feel like my cat is already a bit constipated.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try the lamb flavor. That doesn't have bone. I can't speak for Darwin's. By the time I discovered it, any raw with bone was pretty much crossed off Krista's menu because of her IBD. I don't know that I ever tried the lamb with her because she showed no interest in the other red meats I tried with her. Some cats like red meat, and some don't.

Stella and Chewy's Selects medallions are boneless. Krista liked the first bag. But she turned her nose up at the next two bags. 1 out of 3 is not a good ratio. Luckily the shop I purchased the other bags from was willing to take back the uneaten remainders of both bags for store credit.

I don't really remember who else has commercial boneless recipes. It's very frustrating. Not only do many of them fail to make any mention of the bone content, but many of them don't even list bone in the recipe. This tip isn't foolproof. But if you see a calcium supplement in the ingredients, it is more likely to be boneless. Tiki Cat Raw has a calcium supplement and they tell me it contains bone. That's why I say it's not a foolproof tip. 🤦‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

It's not a bad idea to also look into supplement premixes like EZ Complete and Alnutrin. I recommend EZ Complete first because it doesn't require you to BYOL (bring your own liver) to the recipe. It can be used with cooked or raw meat. Best of all, it can be scaled down to a single meal.

EZ Complete has a sample you can purchase for $1:
Samples

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a cat who tends toward constipation and I find that adding egg yolks and small amounts of pumpkin puree to the cats' homemade food pretty much prevents the problem. I'd be happy to give you the amounts if you'd like. Pumpkin can be tricky since it can be used to prevent diarrhea and constipation; I'd recommend starting with very small amounts.

We also limit foods with bone to two commercial raw freeze-dried meals a day. For lots of odd reasons, the cats also get two homemade cooked meals and one canned meal a day. I use the Alnutrin supplement for the homemade food; one of their options is egg shell for calcium instead of bone. They'll also send a sample if you'd like. Though the cats always seemed to have a slight preference for Alnutrin over EZ Complete, I used to use EZ, too, but one of our cats turned out to have a (barfing) problem with the mussels in it!