Dark brown eye crust in corners of eyes

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! I recently adopted Bagel, a 9 week old DLH kitten. He started sneezing so I took him to the vet today. I noticed that Bagel has some dark brown eye crust everytime he wakes up. Here's a photo of him:

Look at those crusties! Yuck. Haha. So I asked the vet about it and she told me to not worry about it. There's no discharge, just crust. Is this something serious? How can I fix this problem? Will a raw diet help? Or is it because he's a kitten and he's not completely cleaning himself? Either way I got some lysine for his sneezing, maybe that can help?

I'd appreciate any input you guys have!

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi again pinkman!

So glad you have your little guy home! As the caretaker to two white fluffy pointed cats I can say a little eye crust can be pretty normal, especially when they are kittens. My birman kitten has some eye gunk but usually my adult ragdoll does not- but he may be better at cleaning it. My kitten is also a lynx point so she has more white on her face which is prone to staining.  I just do the same thing to my kitten as I do to my maltese dog, which is wipe her eyes with a moist cotton pad. There was a thread on here a while ago on eye stains with persian cats and a product called eye envy was mentioned (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/254752/eye-cleaner-or-supplement-for-persian-cats). 

As he is sneezing as well it may be a sign of feline herpes. If it is just the little bit of brown gunk in the picture -I would say it is probably not, but the l-lysine will help if it is. 

A good high protein diet like a raw would certainly not hurt and may help if it is an allergy or immune response.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Franksmom! You know your stuff as always!

I've thought about Feline Herpes... The sneezing just started this morning. I have a follow-up appointment in ten days so we'll see how the sneezing goes with Lysine.

If he does have Feline Herpes, will Lox be okay? She does not have Feline Herpes, and I know that some posters here have both cats with and without herpes living together... Any precautions should I take? I was thinking about giving some Lysine for Lox too, just in case.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of cats from shelters have feline herpes because it is contagious especially to stressed and immune compromised cats. My family rescued a very sick cat many years ago who had it- she had terrible green and yellow mucus spewing out of her at all times and nothing really helped but she had a lot of health problems. Our other family cat at the time didn't get it and he was exposed to her for years. From my understanding many cats are exposed but do not develop symptoms because they have a strong immune system. I think if his symptoms are just the sneezing and the slight discharge you should't be too concerned, but you should probably give both cats l-lysine to build up their immune responses. The sneezing could also just be a URI which is common when cats go to a new home and are stressed out and he could also pass it to your other cat.

Unless you keep them separated until you know for sure you are risking passing it over to your other cat because both are passed with causal contact like sharing a litter box or even touching.

Last edited:

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That all sounds like good advice. I'll be giving some Lysine treats that my partner picked up today and am going to order some human Lysine supplements later. 

I think the sneezing is more of an URI, solely because it just started today. But Bagel was caged with two other cats when I picked him up. If I do find out that it is Feline Herpes I guess I should contact the rescue about it? I already contacted them about the mites (ugh) and fleas (double ugh.) Good think he is on Revolution now, along with Milbe Mite and CapStar. Lox will be getting Revolution also when we take her to the vet on Sunday.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that really sucks he had both mites and fleas and the rescue didn't notice or treat him before you got him! If he does have herpes for sure contact them but they already kind of sound irresponsible so I am not sure if they will do anything about it. If he was in a cage with other cats he may have been exposed to other things- was he tested for FeLV or FIP? Has he also been dewormed?

ETA: wanted to add that I am sure you know flea collars are bad but wanted to mention you can put them in your vacuum bag and it will kill any fleas that you vacuum up. 

Last edited:

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Luckily he's been dewormed already and was tested for FeLV and FIP. Both negative thankfully. When I contacted the rescue about the mites and fleas they actually offered to treat him for free but I figured since I wanted to take him to the vet due to the sneezing that started today I might as well just have the vet do everything for me. This is the first time I went to this one particular vet and she seems very good. Since I just moved and am planning to live here for a while I thought it was a good idea to start building a relationship with the vet.

I realised I was taking a risk when I found out that Bagel was pulled from a kill-shelter in TENNESSEE of all places (I live in NYC, by the way) and knew that some kill-shelters do not give adequate care (SOME, not all...) The rescue, although under-staffed and not the most well-funded were actually really nice to me when I was talking to them. I guess I am just trying to give the benefit of doubt.

Another reason why I am not completely raging is because my vet told me that some rescues simply can not get Revolution, since it is prescription only. The other cats I saw were pretty healthy looking to me, but Bagel in particular was pulled out of state so I simply do not know what sort of treatment he received. Also it's my understanding that one can not put Advantage/Frontline before the age of eight weeks.  He did come with his first rounds of shots so that's good. 

The deworming I'm gonna get two more rounds done, since he only got one round of it. 

And I'll get the flea collar for my vacuum. Any specific kind should I look into? I never needed or wanted to buy a flea collar so I'm very unfamiliar with them. Well, except the fact that they are poisonous!

Last edited:

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's still sneezing. Got a call back from his doctor today- He's coccidia positive. Fun.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
pinkman, did you see LDG's posts about treating coccidia with probiotics, specifically S. Boullardii? If he's not already on antibiotics, then that's something you might want to consider.

Bagel is an absolute cutie by the way. Can't wait to see more pictures of him.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aaaaah I just saw LDG's post just now actually! I already have him on probiotics, but it's Natural Factors Acidophilus and Bifidus. I'm suppose to pick up his meds that's suppose to given for two weeks... Can I get some of that S. Boullardii and use that combined with his medication? Not too sure what medication he'll be prescribed.

It's only been two days but I'm really worried about his sneezing. He eats fine, drinks water, and is quite an active kitten. 
 Although the vet told me to just keep watching, I'm starting to get all freaked about Feline Herpes, since Lox is a sick-free cat...

EDIT: Oops, I thought I saw the right thread but I didn't. Can someone link me? I swear, this little bugger is cute but I'm pretty stressed. Like having a new baby hahaha.

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, LDG reported that the coccidia cleared without antibiotics, so I'm not sure if you would use both. Maybe ask the vet?

Since Lox is healthy, I think I would not be so worried about her catching herpes. I think it's much more of a concern in shelter environments with stressed and immune compromised cats.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vet just called and since the antibiotic is 20 dollars and  I'm taking Lox tomorrow to the vet anyways I think I'll just do the antibiotics for now because it's easier/quicker for me to get to. What I will do is look into S. Boullardi for the future, and for Lox. If possible, can someone recommend me a good brand? I'd like to keep using the current probiotics for Bagel but I understand things get a little complicated when antibiotics are involved. Sorry I am asking a lot of questions- Lox has been always healthy and I've never had a kitten so this is all new for me.

Vet also talked about his sneezing is probably because his immune system is weak from the coccidia. Since he doesn't have any other problems I will continue giving the Lysine to both cats and of course, isolate them.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very, very, very common for young kittens (& cats for that matter) who are adopted from shelters to have all kinds of parasites and such.  Also, it's common that once an animal has been adopted and home for about 10-14 days to come down with an upper respiratory infection (sneezing, goopy eyes, lethargic, congestion, and etc) due to all the stress of being in the shelter then coming to a new home with new people, new smells, new sounds, and new everything.  For now, for the sneezing, keep monitoring him.  If he has any colored discharge from either eye or nose that's NOT clear (yellow, green, or some combination) or stops eating, call the vet immediately as that indicates an infection is going on for sure.  As long as he continues to eat, drink, and use the box normally, I wouldn't be too concerned with the sneezing, but know that kittens' health can go downhill very quickly, especially if they are undernourished and/or have other things going on (like coccidia in your little guy).  They just don't have the reserves to fight off infection and need vet attention quickly.  Sounds like you're staying on top of things and have a good relationship with your vet, which is always a good thing.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Nexabiotic 20 strain which has S. Boulardii is the one LDG uses.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks vball! I actually just PM'd LDG about it... Now I can shop around.

stephanietx, thank you for reassuring me. Having Bagel is like literally having a new baby. Except I can't have babies haha. 

Has anyone tried the NOW brand Lysine powder (it's on Amazon for around 15 dollars for a pound)? I was thinking about picking up the smidgen measuring spoons too for Alnutrin, I don't know too much about dosing except for krill oil and probiotics really. I'm clueless, hehe.

EDIT: I got all the info! Thanks guys! I will update this thread tomorrow after Lox's vet visit.... or when Bagel has his follow-up in 10 days.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh the coccidia! We treated 5/6 week old kittens for coccidia without antibiotics, but there isn't any reason not to give the probiotic with S. Boulardii in it despite the antibiotics.

When using the Nexabiotic 20 strain, the kitten dose to TREAT S. Boulardii is 1/2 a capsule 2x a day. For maintenance, it's 1/4 capsule 2x a day. Because the Nexabiotic 20 strain has acidophilus (and other strains that would be affected by the antibiotics), it's best to give it at least 2 hours before or after the antibiotics. :nod:

I'd give Lox 1/2 a capsule 2x a day for a month or so, just to make sure. Whether or not to continue on probiotics is up to you. It can be lowered to 1/4 capsule 2x a day. I give my kitties 1/2 a cap 2x a day just as a supplement to their diet.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update:

Been really trying to feed the two the Lysine treats (Pet Naturals) that I got (it was all I could get.) They really hate them! I've tried softening with water before hand and mixing it with their food... Lox spits them out unless they are heavily dusted with bonito flakes and still she won't eat all of her dose.

Bagel on the other hand was sleeping and then when I came to pick him up he felt warm to the touch. I had some home-made chicken baby food (for cats) left so I mixed that with his raw ground, and small bits of the Lysine treat. I also dashed it with some bonito flakes since he was sniffling a little... He can't smell the food! 

Ugh, just when I was feeling a little better about this whole ordeal he's getting more lethargic. Vet is closed right now so I am going to have to wait until they open tomorrow and call before taking Lox. Hopefully they can squeeze him in.

I thought I had syringes just in case but I can't find them anywhere so I am going to go buy some real quickly in a minute. Then I am going to turn the shower on and steam up the bathroom.... Hopefully he will be less congested.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw.... :hugs: Since this is most likely a URI and not even necessarily herpes, I wouldn't overly fret about the Lysine.

Poor Bagel - poor you! :rub:

When you get a chance, can you take a look at the antibiotics prescribed for Bagel, and let us know what they are?

Can you just use a finger to put little bits of food in his mouth? :dk: You might not need a syringe....

But yes, steaming up the bathroom will be the best thing for him right now, poor congested little kitty. :heart2: (It's not going to hurt him to skip a few meals, just so you don't worry TOO much. :hugs: ).

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone tried the NOW brand Lysine powder (it's on Amazon for around 15 dollars for a pound)? I was thinking about picking up the smidgen measuring spoons too for Alnutrin, I don't know too much about dosing except for krill oil and probiotics really. I'm clueless, hehe.
The NOW brand is what I use. Just measure and sprinkle on the wet food twice a day. 1/8 teaspoon 2X a day for maintenance dose, and 1/4 teaspoon 2X a day when Silly or Julie is having a flare-up. The twice a day is important. The cat metabolizes doses in 12 hours. That way you can keep a good level in the cat.

I use just a cheap plastic 1/8 tsp. measuring spoon.

Last edited: