Dark and fresh blood in stool and very smelly - photos attached

LB1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Apologies for the graphic photos

I have a getting on a bit female kitty (she was a rescue but think she’s about 13). About a month ago I took her to the vet as I noticed a quantity of blood in her poo a couple of times. Vet gave some anti inflammatory and it improved slightly however it has now gotten much worse (darkpoo) plus fresh blood (quite thick and fairly dark) and also I have noticed it smells absolutely awful. Im in the emergency services and it genuinely smelt like someone had died.

I have taken her back to the vet today and they are going to do bloods and a scan on Friday. I think they are now more concerned given the dark poo. Turns out last time we went after we had left they realised she had spat out the working tablet so she’s had a dose of that today

i just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LB1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Meant to write worming tablet*

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Don't worry about not being able to edit as you are not initially able to do that to your posts. We are used to pics of poo, so that is not a problem either.

That is a lot of blood, even splattered blood, and it looks gelatinous to me as well, as if there might be mucus. It seems that your vet did what a lot would have done, which is to use an anti inflammatory to see if that solved the problem. They are right to be more concerned and to continue to try to diagnose this. I agree that a scan is absolutely needed, along with blood work, so that you can see if something is there which is the root of all this.

The bad smell can be a byproduct of whatever is causing the blood to appear; sufficient amounts of blood itself will also have an odor.

There are a lot of potential causes for blood in stool, so try to wait until you know something before you speculate. I have had this happen in pets, dogs and cats, ranging from treatable and not overly serious (remember that blood always looks extremely serious when you see it) to more serious conditions. You are doing the right thing to follow up on this. Please let us know what you find out.

LB1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thank you so much for your reply. It is all in hand in terms of the vet and I know I’ve done the right thing, it’s nice to just get some other on opinions and support, our dear kitties are so precious To us aren’t they. She actually looks a little like the cat in your profile pic! Such pretty colourings.

I will absolutely keep you posted, I couldn’t believe it when I saw the amount of blood but like you say it can sometimes look worse than it is. I think it’s the dark/digested blood bits that concerned me the most

thank you again

LB1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone - just a quick update. She had an abdominal scan which has come back as clear/nothing of concern but her blood test came back positive for cryptosporidium. She has a course of antibiotics which she has been on for around 2/3 days.

I noticed that her stool had actually been improving so felt much better about the situation however this morning this was her stool - the runniest and bloodiest it has ever been. Usually her stool is fairly solid for the most part and has shape to it but this isdifferent for her. The vets wants another stool sample after the course of antibiotics which I think is 2 weeks but should I be concerned that I had seen some improvement and now seem to have gone back 2 steps?
Thank you

07517CED-1DD1-40FB-B249-D54229F1B82A.jpeg
7CAD57C7-C4A3-4240-95EC-88D570A95B9C.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is a lot of gelatinous blood, IMO. If this were my cat, I would get in touch with the vet, at least send the pics you posted here, and ask for advice. As I said before, you vet has followed initially very standard procedure. Sometimes I think that vets do this to start at the least expensive end of the spectrum, or to see if an obvious cause is the culprit. It does not mean that you have to accept this. Let the vet know that you are very concerned and that you want to know if there are other options.

Consulting another vet, not in the same practice, or an internal medicine vet is another option.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with fionasmom fionasmom 100% as soon as possible an internal medacine doctor depending on when you can make the appointment. Hope she feels better. What food did your vet suggest?

LB1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, apologies I didn’t reply to your kind replies, thank you for taking the time out to message. Unfortunately (which I had a gut feeling about) It looks like Sophie had an internal bleed as she became very poorly on Monday, she was taken to hospital on Tuesday where it transpired she had severe anemia and the beginnings of congestive heart failure. She deteriorated really quickly and sadly we made the difficult decision to have her put to sleep yesterday. We are heartbroken but there is no doubt it was the right thing to do for her. I wanted to send you all a picture of my sweet girl as all you’ve seen so far is her poo! Thank you everyone
B3E41CB6-35BD-4320-B4D0-D082439DEF54.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What a beautiful little girl, and clearly so loved. I lost two cats suddenly, over the years, to a heart condition and I know how hard that is.

• Purraise
Reactions: LB1