Dangit! My cat doesn't like Rad Cat Venison :(

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was so excited to try a new "exotic-ish" meat to feed raw to my kitty, but he won't touch it.....
. Oh well. He loves the turkey the most, and will eat the beef and chicken. He also loves NVI rabbit medallions. What other types of meat do you think are worth a try? I heard a lot of cats like the taste of pork. Also, I'm considering buying some pre-ground meat from Hare Today, any successes or failures with that?

Last edited:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was so excited to try a new "exotic-ish" meat to feed raw to my kitty, but he won't touch it.....
. Oh well. He loves the turkey the most, and will eat the beef and chicken. He also loves NVI rabbit medallions. What other types of meat do you think are worth a try? I heard a lot of cats like the taste of pork. Also, I'm considering buying some pre-ground meat from Hare Today, any successes or failures with that?
Bummer! My cats loooooove the RC venison, they also really like Ziwipeak venison. I know with HT they only have ground pork with bone, so be aware of that because RC doesn't contain bone so that may be new territory for your cat. I feed boneless right now and only buy boneless from HT, but I've been thinking about trying the pork because I'd like to add that to my cats rotation, and the reviews say that its finely ground, so that's good because some HT meats with bone have larger bone pieces. I buy boneless because its easier, and a lot of the HT meats with bone have a high bone content and i was concerned about that so i went the boneless route. I supplement with alnutrin with eggshell calcium and give freeze dried liver as a treat because mine got weird about organs in their raw food. In terms of boneless from HT i buy - 

boneless ground chicken breast

boneless ground beef

boneless lamb

boneless duck

boneless turkey thighs.

They all go over well with most of my cats. The chicken is really low fat (obviously) so i mix it with something higher in fat like lamb or duck. The duck contains skin, so I try not to feed that much of it because its very fatty. Next order I'm going to get venison and maybe pork. HT meats are super good quality, always packed well, and I've been really happy with their products so I'm def going to continue ordering from them. 

My only complaint is that because i live in AZ shipping is pricy for me, especially in the warmer months. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Bummer! My cats loooooove the RC venison, they also really like Ziwipeak venison. I know with HT they only have ground pork with bone, so be aware of that because RC doesn't contain bone so that may be new territory for your cat. I feed boneless right now and only buy boneless from HT, but I've been thinking about trying the pork because I'd like to add that to my cats rotation, and the reviews say that its finely ground, so that's good because some HT meats with bone have larger bone pieces. I buy boneless because its easier, and a lot of the HT meats with bone have a high bone content and i was concerned about that so i went the boneless route. I supplement with alnutrin with eggshell calcium and give freeze dried liver as a treat because mine got weird about organs in their raw food. In terms of boneless from HT i buy - 

boneless ground chicken breast

boneless ground beef

boneless lamb

boneless duck

boneless turkey thighs.

They all go over well with most of my cats. The chicken is really low fat (obviously) so i mix it with something higher in fat like lamb or duck. The duck contains skin, so I try not to feed that much of it because its very fatty. Next order I'm going to get venison and maybe pork. HT meats are super good quality, always packed well, and I've been really happy with their products so I'm def going to continue ordering from them. 

My only complaint is that because i live in AZ shipping is pricy for me, especially in the warmer months. 
Great. Luckily I already feed NVI rabbit medallions which have some bone chunks in there (sometimes I feel the sharp little bone with my fingers when defrosting them)!. Yeah I was thinking of just supplementing with alnutrin. Should I add any organs If I just get the ground meat (turkey thighs, for example), and add the alnutrin? I also don't want there to be too much bone so I will probably go the boneless route too. i want to add some variety to the meats Ghibli gets which is pretty much just chicken, turkey, and rabbit--- Pork or beef sounds like my next step. Thanks for the information on your experience with Hare Today! It will be expensive for me too because I live in Oregon and I think they ship from Penn. 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Great. Luckily I already feed NVI rabbit medallions which have some bone chunks in there (sometimes I feel the sharp little bone with my fingers when defrosting them)!. Yeah I was thinking of just supplementing with alnutrin. Should I add any organs If I just get the ground meat (turkey thighs, for example), and add the alnutrin? I also don't want there to be too much bone so I will probably go the boneless route too. i want to add some variety to the meats Ghibli gets which is pretty much just chicken, turkey, and rabbit--- Pork or beef sounds like my next step. Thanks for the information on your experience with Hare Today! It will be expensive for me too because I live in Oregon and I think they ship from Penn. 
Shipping isn't too bad in the winter months because I can get away with 3 day shipping so it's usually around $40. But if I have to order in the warmer months I have to pay for 2 day shipping and that's around $100
I don't know if I'd use HT if I only had 1 cat because they have a minimum order amount of 10lbs, but I have 10 right now plus a dog so nothing really goes to waste

Ideally you want to add organs to the meat (if you buy the boneless that don't have organs included). HT does sell organs too so it's easy to add, but my cats started acting like they didn't like the organs, so I've been omitting them and just giving them freeze dried liver as a supplement. My cats also don't eat 100% HT meat, so I don't worry too much about omitting the organs.

Oh, and my cats don't like HT food as much as RC. They got NUTS for RC but are more "meh" about HT. Sometimes I have to mix HT with RC to get them to eat with more gusto.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Shipping isn't too bad in the winter months because I can get away with 3 day shipping so it's usually around $40. But if I have to order in the warmer months I have to pay for 2 day shipping and that's around $100
I don't know if I'd use HT if I only had 1 cat because they have a minimum order amount of 10lbs, but I have 10 right now plus a dog so nothing really goes to waste

Ideally you want to add organs to the meat (if you buy the boneless that don't have organs included). HT does sell organs too so it's easy to add, but my cats started acting like they didn't like the organs, so I've been omitting them and just giving them freeze dried liver as a supplement. My cats also don't eat 100% HT meat, so I don't worry too much about omitting the organs.

Oh, and my cats don't like HT food as much as RC. They got NUTS for RC but are more "meh" about HT. Sometimes I have to mix HT with RC to get them to eat with more gusto.
Hm! Maybe it's the supplement Alnutrin that your cats don't like the taste of? Weird! Yeah, I do have a really good winter farmer's market that is open every saturday where I live. There is this woman that has a sustainable and humane rabbit farm. Do you think that would be a safe place to get rabbits? She mainly sells to restaurants but I'm sure she would sell to me. I could take it to a butcher. I wonder how expensive her rabbits are..... surely cheaper than HT with shipping! If I did this, do you think I should ask for the rabbit with fur and have the butcher include the skin and some fur? Or should I have it skinned? Maybe I should just buy the meat and add organs and stuff instead of buying it whole.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nah they don't mind the alnutrin (I've tried other premixes they wouldn't eat at all). I've def heard other people say their cats like RC or commercial raw over homemade. 

I can't really advise you on the rabbit as I'm not too familiar with feeding whole prey, but def anything you can get local should surely be good quality. There are others that feed whole ground rabbit with fur and all, HT even offers a whole ground rabbit with fur that some kitties go crazy over.

Good luck!