Dangerous Cat Collar!

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am very conscientious about my cats' health. I have recently taken in another Stray (my third) and really didn't want him (as I care for a colony of ferals as well). I've been trying to find another home for him, but to no avail. My resident cats were settled before Bunny came, and one is fine with him, but my Jack is not so much.

So I bought him a collar so I can hear him and put on a tag with my name and phone in case he escapes. I tried three different types of safety collars, and he gets them off in about 5 minutes (the break away types). I bought him one that my daughter had for her cats. It's a complete stretch material so I liked that he wouldn't hang himself. Here is the collar on Ebay:

Kool Kat Collar for Cats - 4 colors - 3 sizes - Stretch weave nylon Fashion | eBay

So, today, I happened to be home from work and I went out shopping for two hours. When I came home, my poor Bunny was choking. He had managed to use his claws to pull the collar, but because of it's thickness, it didn't slip out (and the latch stick was repositioning). It was LITERALLY A TOURNIQUIT AROUND HIS NECK. I have resigned myself to never use anything but a breakaway collar. It truly is a Good Friday and ironically Bunny (he looks like a Bunny), will make it for Easter. Please warn everyone you know that cat collars are dangerous!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the warning.

Have you tried Beatie Bands? My boy was an escape artist with collars too. I think he thought it was a game because he’d take it off and carry it around in his mouth. Since switching to Beastie Bands we haven’t had a single problem. They are a super stretchy neoprene like fabric. They don’t open but stretch if caught. I have found them stuck on things too so I know that they will come off when snagged.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They sound similar. Did you look at the link. When you click the link, you have to scroll down a bit.

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked at the Beastie Bands and they look as though they'll work! Thank you. My other two cats have break aways and never tried to get them off.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They sound similar. Did you look at the link. When you click the link, you have to scroll down a bit.
I did look at the link. It’s different. The ones on the eBay look like an elastic type, Beastie Bands are not. It’s really hard to explain the different because it isn’t visible in photos. With Beastie Bands you only want to be able to fit one or two fingers between the collar and your cat. They will stretch more with time. They are super light weight too so they don’t bother the cats as much.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness! That must have been so scary. I’m so glad to hear that Bunny is okay!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks nothing like a Beastie Band collar. Beastie Bands are the only commercial collar I've tried that actually work for Jasmine - they fit tightly enough that she's unable to catch them on things and pull them off, without being tight enough to give her problems breathing (though if she did catch it on something it would pull off). The only problem is that they tend to fray around the edges due to being scratched so you have to replace them every year or so. I'm seriously considering buying something like this: Polaroid Neoprene Adjustable Wrist Strap For Digital SLR Cameras/Camcorders | eBay, which has stretch binding on the edges to protect from fraying, and making my own. I wish I knew where to find that kind of neoprene strapping without having to get it already made up into something else....

Margret

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat collars are not dangerous
I beg to differ. This collar had a metal buckle (which I would never have bought), however, the whole collar is stretchy so if a cat was caught it can come loose. I like the breakaways the most, but they didn't last 5 minutes with this cat.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am kind of confused by that comment too. Clearly in this case it was dangerous.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they meant cat collars are not dangerous if worn properly. There are always freak occurances with everything. Most people leave them WAY too loose thinking they are too tight!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad who was a vet told me they get caught on branches and cats get strangled. My cats manage to get the break aways off pretty easily, so they are useless. I just ordered some beastie bands. My four cats are indoors only, but one keeps running out when I open the door.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Good information . I too use only stretch or break- away kitty collars .
My Mom used to make collars with stretch elastic and different color plastic beads. Very pretty !
:redcat:

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My dad who was a vet told me they get caught on branches and cats get strangled. My cats manage to get the break aways off pretty easily, so they are useless. I just ordered some beastie bands. My four cats are indoors only, but one keeps running out when I open the door.
My cat is indoor only and got snagged while exploring a bookcase. Thankfully the breakaway came right off. Point being, they still need breakaways in the house, with the added assurance that if they do get out at least the collar will not be a problem.