DANGER,DANGER -

loopycann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is the most difficultost I've ever had to write but I feel compelled to.
I have severe arthritis so I sleep in a recliner.This morning one of my kittens whose mother I rescued,got his neck broke when I closed it to get dressed.I had stuffed blankets all around the chair so they couldn't under it.I don't care how good you cat proof there will be times that despite your efforts it happens.I don't think Ill ever stop crying.I feel so bad.Bad dosent bring her back.I live in one room but I'm gonna see if my sister will take the remaining kittens till they reach the giving away age.Please everybody,I'm sure your not careless but always imagine the possibility of injury and death that can and do happen to our dearest loves.Dryers,recliners,
Blind cords,collars,ovens,etc.If a kitty can fit in it they probably will.I don't want anyone here feeling the self- disgust ,self hate,blaming and emotional upheaval that I'm currently doing.
God bless all here and good vibes to all the remarkable kitty's .:sigh:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you've had such a devastating experience, one that others have unfortunately shared. Horrible things like that can happen so quickly.

RIP, little one.

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel for you. I am sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you can stop beating yourself up.

My husband feels like I am going overboard with the kitten proofing, but I had a similar experience in college. My roommate brought a kitten home and it died that day in an accident.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loopycann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words.One thing I've learned through this awful horrific experience is NO MATTER HOW CAT PROOF OR LITTLE CAUTIONARY TALES AND MISHAPS WE ARE PRIVY TO,TOO MUCH CAT PROOFING IS A GOOD THING.Ill take a lot of what haves and could haves before I can ever forgive myself

loopycann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you've had such a devastating experience, one that others have unfortunately shared. Horrible things like that can happen so quickly.

RIP, little one.
Thank you for your kind thoughts.Ill always feel guilty even though I would have NEVER done such if at all warned.I feel like such a wretch.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How awful for you to have gone through, I am so very sorry. The guilt must be enormous.

You know what though?  It happens. It just does. It's nobody's fault, it's just one of those tragic, horrible things that aren't due to negligence or carelessness at all.

So stop beating yourself up, of course it's very sad, just horrible, but it was an accident, plain and simple.

Kittens get stepped on, closed in dryers, all sorts of bad things, we all know them. But yours is no different.

There's no way of knowing the kitten was there.

It's really okay. As sad as it is, it's okay. Things happen.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm so sorry for your loss. maybe it would help to think of it like this......that that little kitten was so special that s/he was called to cross the rainbow bridge at a very young age. this has helped me deal with the loss of a furbaby, though not as young.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your devastating loss. Your story will help to save the lives of other kitties.
Please try to not beat yourself up, which is much easier for me to say than for you to do, I'm sure. You certainly never intended for this to happen and even had safety measures in place. It was a horrible accident and as unfair as it is, these things happen.
Please give yourself a couple days to think before handing the other kittens over to your sister. You sound like a good, caring, cat lover and the kittens could bring you much love and comfort in this difficult time. I'll be thinking of you. Take care.

jasonr2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i am very sorry for your loss i know from personal experience how easy it is to get attatched to the little ones ive been there msyelf

simular situation and the poor thing died instantly but remember accidents happen to even the most careful person

its not impossible for these things to happen

R.I.P little one you go and play with all the little kitties in heaven

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Loopycann  remember my post, how I told you things happen, don't beat yourself up, it was an accident?

One of my foster's just did the same exact thing, closed a recliner chair down and had no idea the kitten was there, and this little kitten baby is currently in the hospital, with neurological symptoms, and we don't know whether he can recover or not.

Received oxygen, x-rays, pain med, and an injection to help with brain swelling, nothing broken but worse, his pupils are not right, he may recover but may not. Obvious neurological.

So you see, it's nothing to feel guilt over, this is one of my very best fosters, she adores them all and takes the best care of them possible.

Zubie, 6 weeks old.

loopycann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you each and everyone for not coming down on me for being careless.You have no idea(but probably you do)How much I've 'Monday morning quarter backed ' over what happened.This community of cat lovers and promoters have pulled me out of depression more than once and I just want to let everybody know that I am stronger for your words.
I've gotten a new chair that is electric.From what I've seen(with chair flipped over) the mechanism dosent seem to work the same as the old mechanical one,but I'll still have panic attacks as I slowly push the open or closed button(pushed in 1/2inch intervals )My roommate is thinking of using the death trap chair but....not until I disable the retraction gears.Ill not be a part,no matter how remote,of another baby killed in that cursed thing.Too bad industry dosent have animal safety laws as stringent as children safety laws.These were like my children now that my daughter has her own babes and husband.Thank you again 'all of Cat Site' The difference you make here cannot be measured by one who is unsure,devastated,grieving or just plain ole happy with a development in our babies progress.Believe it or not ,not everyone believes a cat death,a kitten pulling through surgery,a new trick etc.,is worth mentioning.What a life devoid of the wonder and joys having a fur baby truly brings.Thank You!!!!:rbheart::rock:

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I come from a cat family, so I am lucky in that regard. My husband on the other hand does not. They are animal lovers, but only his mom, and now him, get that cats are special.

I know what you mean, some people don't get it. No one understands the lengths we went to for our first rabbit, but my husband really loved her.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you each and everyone for not coming down on me for being careless.You have no idea(but probably you do)How much I've 'Monday morning quarter backed ' over what happened.This community of cat lovers and promoters have pulled me out of depression more than once and I just want to let everybody know that I am stronger for your words.
I've gotten a new chair that is electric.From what I've seen(with chair flipped over) the mechanism dosent seem to work the same as the old mechanical one,but I'll still have panic attacks as I slowly push the open or closed button(pushed in 1/2inch intervals )My roommate is thinking of using the death trap chair but....not until I disable the retraction gears.Ill not be a part,no matter how remote,of another baby killed in that cursed thing.Too bad industry dosent have animal safety laws as stringent as children safety laws.These were like my children now that my daughter has her own babes and husband.Thank you again 'all of Cat Site' The difference you make here cannot be measured by one who is unsure,devastated,grieving or just plain ole happy with a development in our babies progress.Believe it or not ,not everyone believes a cat death,a kitten pulling through surgery,a new trick etc.,is worth mentioning.What a life devoid of the wonder and joys having a fur baby truly brings.Thank You!!!!
That's what we are here for, and we ARE understanding, truly.

I think the new chair being electric actually should have an eye that detects when something is in the way or obstructing. You might want to test this with something that will show up but not be ruined, a couch throw pillow, or a shoe even.

After chatting with Zubie's wonderful vet, it's not as unusual/rare as I would have thought before this and your incident. She said over the years there have been quite a few kittens killed this way. Adult cats must be smart enough to get up and move fast as the chair starts to come down, but kittens obviously are not.

Zubie is progressing everyday. He is still off balance and not all that alert yet, but it's not even 3 days, ok I just saw the time, it has been just about 3 days now since he was closed under the recliner at the foster's home. She was/is just like you too, just devastated. I took him back to her last night, since he is now very much wanting affection and being held while he sleeps. I'm too busy saving kittens to do this, but sure it will only help him recover.

It takes time for the brain swelling to go all the way down, only then will he hopefully be back to his normal self. It takes balance some time to regain it fully.

Take care.