Dang picky cat!

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I have found a wet food that my cat will eat. YAY He will eat about 3/4 of a pouch of the Weruva Slide n' Serve. The ones named after game shows. EXCEPT any flavor that is not exclusively chicken. He will also eat about half a pouch of chicken only Tiki cat Velvet Mousse. He won't eat Tiny Tiger pate chicken or Fancy Feast classic pate chicken. He will not eat any other flavor of food. Not turkey, beef and he won't even lick a food if it has tuna or mackeral in it. Is it ok to only feed chicken flavored wet and dry food? Does anyone have any other suggestions to try? I was going to try Stella & Chewy but they don't have samples and I don't want to buy a whole bag just to probably end up throwing it away. Also it has to be something that can be bought at Petco, Petsmart, Chewy's or online. My stupid city does not have any cute boutique pet shops or anything.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr elseys gives samples. My cat is picky too. She has to have toppers like pure bites freeze dried chicken, bonito flakes or whole life freeze dried treats. WL treats are big but easy to crush in your hands

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My chicken loving cat will not touch the Tick Cat Velvet Mousse at all, not even one lick, so I guess I'm not one to try to suggest anything. I don't think your cat is as picky as mine :rolleyes2:

It's always a good idea to try to feed more than one protein, because cats can actually develop allergies over time to certain foods, but some cats are just so darned picky that it seems an impossible task. I just keep trying, day in and day out. It sometimes takes me 2 hours just to feed my picky guy, and sometimes I just give up and figure he'll eat at the next meal. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. Usually by the third meal he will.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My chicken loving cat will not touch the Tick Cat Velvet Mousse at all, not even one lick, so I guess I'm not one to try to suggest anything. I don't think your cat is as picky as mine :rolleyes2:

It's always a good idea to try to feed more than one protein, because cats can actually develop allergies over time to certain foods, but some cats are just so darned picky that it seems an impossible task. I just keep trying, day in and day out. It sometimes takes me 2 hours just to feed my picky guy, and sometimes I just give up and figure he'll eat at the next meal. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. Usually by the third meal he will.
Thank you. This cat lived off of dry Kit n' Kaboodle for the 6-7 years he lived in his previous home. He weighed 14 lbs the beginning of July and at his vet appt a week ago they said he weighed 16 lbs. But he is much thinner. His hip bones stick out and I am just very worried about him not eating enough. He eats about 1/2 a cup of Tiki Cat chicken dry and gets wet food in the morning and evening. But he rarely eats his wet food. I just want to make sure he is getting all the good stuff he needs. He did eat about 2/3s of a salmon pouch this morning. So maybe he likes salmon but not tuna, mackerel, or shrimp?

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This sounds like a cat. I'm being told by a breeder who knows a lot more than I do that my cats should be on wet-only.

I said I would try when I get my foundation cats and HOPE my rescues follow suit, but a cat gonna eat what a cat gonna eat. And my rescues came to me unable to eat anything but kibble. They will eat a little wet, but between two they will not finish a Fancy Feast can.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find with cats and wet food you can not feed the same thing over and over. They get bored, and if they get sick and vomit it up or have a hairball they wont eat that food again for months lol. I usually had on hand 5-6 different brands/flavors for my first cat Felice and fed something different daily. My current cats are raw fed,which they love but I also feed rawz, go, and freeze dried to. I mean i'd get bored being fed the same thing over and over lol.

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I find with cats and wet food you can not feed the same thing over and over. They get bored, and if they get sick and vomit it up or have a hairball they wont eat that food again for months lol. I usually had on hand 5-6 different brands/flavors for my first cat Felice and fed something different daily. My current cats are raw fed,which they love but I also feed rawz, go, and freeze dried to. I mean i'd get bored being fed the same thing over and over lol.
I have tried to find Rawz online but cant find anywhere that sells it.

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I found another winner. Farmina's Wild Boar and Apple. Fingers crossed that I found a flavor other than chicken he will eat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it ok to only feed chicken flavored wet and dry food?
Yes, absolutely, given that he's not much interested in other proteins.

Have you looked at Merrick Backcountry? Natural Balance might be another to try.

Can you start weighing him at home, maybe every couple weeks and keep a log? If you have a bathroom scale, weigh yourself, weigh him in your arms and subtract, the difference is his weight :).

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

Have you looked at Merrick Backcountry? Natural Balance might be another to try.

Can you start weighing him at home, maybe every couple weeks and keep a log? If you have a bathroom scale, weigh yourself, weigh him in your arms and subtract, the difference is his weight :).
Or find out the weight of a carrier then put your cat in it. I would not like weighing myself😊😊😊😊😊😊

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Since Purina bought out Merrick, I have stopped buying their food. But that was years ago when we had a dog. And I am not a huge fan of Natural Balance. But if it comes down to it I will.

I am really hoping that last night was not a fluke and that the Farmina works. I also ordered some Stella and Chewy Duck Duck Goose. So we will try that today.

He is a big boy. He weighed 16 lbs at the vet a couple of weeks ago. He weighed 14 lbs in June. But he looked bigger. They said he looked healthy. When you look down at him, you can see his hip bones and you can feel the tops of his shoulder bones. He was just a big "blob of jelly" when we got him a couple of months ago. So maybe he is losing fat but getting muscle since he isn't eating grocery store food and is getting played with now.Or I am an overbearing pet mom and overthinking this.

I should get a scale. But I am NOT getting on it! lol

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
might want to check this before doing the Natural balance. Be sure you get the right one since not everyone removes things from their shelves in a timely manner.