Dandruff Problem

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1ACC927A-2FCE-4091-9A6D-BE886D4E804F.jpeg
My sisters cat Pumpkin Pie has bad dandruff on her rear end. How can we get rid of it?!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of food is she eating? Some of the cheap grainy foods like cat chow or meow mix can cause dandruff and greasy coat like that.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Is she an older kitty? Max got dandruff when he was a senior as his skin stopped producing oils. His fur also separated and matted. If I had known then what I know now, I would have tried to add some fish oil to his diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What kind of food is she eating? Some of the cheap grainy foods like cat chow or meow mix can cause dandruff and greasy coat like that.
She eats Blue buffalo and I hear its pretty good.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Olive and Gohan have been getting dandruff, I am guessing since they moved to a very dry climate. I’ve also noticed it during the winter a little more. Our guys eat only wet food, so I didn’t think it was likely caused by the food.

Hopefully someone has suggestions to have less dandruff, I’d be interested to now if there was something to be done about it.

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is she an older kitty? Max got dandruff when he was a senior as his skin stopped producing oils. His fur also separated and matted. If I had known then what I know now, I would have tried to add some fish oil to his diet.
She is only 5 but maybe I should still add fish oil? I could definitely give it a try.

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Olive and Gohan have been getting dandruff, I am guessing since they moved to a very dry climate. I’ve also noticed it during the winter a little more. Our guys eat only wet food, so I didn’t think it was likely caused by the food.

Hopefully someone has suggestions to have less dandruff, I’d be interested to now if there was something to be done about it.
Climate must be part of it. We live in Las Vegas and it is very hot climate here.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat used to have dandruff like this. I changed her food, added one can of wet food a day as well, and added GimCat 12 Multivitamins paste 2-3 days a week. It was solved.

Her vet suggested to take one-week break when you use multivitamins to be on the safe side.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine had dandruff, she has a long thick coat. I added a spray of red salmon oil to her food twice a day and brushed her daily. By the end of a week there was a noticeable reduction in the dandruff.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you had a full blood work up recently and checked blood glucose? My cat is currently in remission but when her diabetes was first diagnosed she had horrible dandruff like that.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you had a full blood work up recently and checked blood glucose? My cat is currently in remission but when her diabetes was first diagnosed she had horrible dandruff like that.
Interesting. My dandruff-y kitty was also diabetic. I never associated the two things things. I’ll have to remember that, although I hope I never have another diabetic cat!

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory yeah once I got her diabetes managed the dandruff cleared up. Are you also a member of the feline diabetic support group? They helped me so much! I followed tight regulation protocol, got her off all dry kibble, onto rad cat raw and weruva canned and managed to the one of the lucky ones to hit remission.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Are you also a member of the feline diabetic support group? They helped me so much!
I discovered that site only a few weeks before Max crossed the Bridge at age 20 in 2017. But in those few weeks, they provided incredible support. Max and I both would have had an easier time of it had I known about the site in 2013 when he was diagnosed.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I discovered that site only a few weeks before Max crossed the Bridge at age 20 in 2017. But in those few weeks, they provided incredible support. Max and I both would have had an easier time of it had I known about the site in 2013 when he was diagnosed.
Aw I’m sorry for your loss! Yes they are a wonderful group so many helpful members just like this site!

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My sisters cat hasn’t been checked by a vet in awhile. I may suggest a visit then. My sister thinks d

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry posted before done!

My sisters cat hasn’t been checked by a vet in awhile. I may suggest a visit then. My sister thinks dandruff due to living in Las Vegas heat. But im worried because cat stays inside with air conditioner so why would that be a factor. I may suggest she get the blood work. Thanks I had no Idea about dandruff diabetes connection.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If she hasn't been to the vets for a while she may also be overdue for her shots. Not sure of the US laws but here in Canada it's the law to vaccinate cats and dogs. Either way couldn't hurt to update them while kitty is there.