Daily Question 03/02/16

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! ;) (yet almost near at noon)

grrr no internet at job today a failure from the electricity cut and we are like dogs sweats... :sweat: very awful

The question is:

HOW frecuently you have cuts of electricity at office or at home and how often happens? :confused: ( in your área of course)

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At work, we have a generator that kicks in immediately when the power goes out so it is seamless. The lights flash then we hear the generator kick on. It rarely happens though.

We don't lose power at home very often either. Usually only if we have a lot of wind or a hurricane/tropical storm. My AC went out for 1 day last August and that was brutal. Fortunately I have a window AC unit that I put in. I put a chair in front of it for the cats to lay on if they wanted.Sophie parked herself on it belly up. 

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The electricity was off about a week ago for 8 hrs during the night . It surges and flashes here so often that in 10 yrs we have replaced every appliance in the house do to electrical problems! We are trying to move to Oklahoma in May hope it's not the same. It goes out every couple of months here!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Almost never. I live and work in large metropolitan areas where utility services are almost always reliable.

The only time it might go out is during a major storm.  The last time that happened at home was during Hurricane Sandy - we had no services for a week.  But that is already years ago. I can't remember any other time since.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
in my area, we still have above ground poles and wires. we do experience power outages occasionally, and most times they're caused by wind/weather. i think only once has there been an accident, where a big (in height) truck 'took out' some power lines --

i stay set up for power outages -- flashlight, candle (in jar), matches, my kindle reader charged. i also have my electronics plugged into surge protector power strips -- not sure how much protection that gives, but hopefully some.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just moved into a new house in July so no power outages yet! It has happened a couple times at work but only for a few seconds.

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Generator starts immediatly at work. At home we are on a grid with lots of stores, gas stations, medical/vet offices so if it goes out it is only for a very short time. We had a big ice storm 4 years ago and were without power for 3 hours while they cut trees that had fallen on the lines. My parents live in the country and have been without power for a week or more. They have a generator hard wired into their house now.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We rarely loose power here.  It used to be pretty bad for outages, this is an area that grew population wise quickly and I think that things were overloaded for awhile.  We will loose power 2 or 3 times a year generally for less than 2 hours.  

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We generally only have power outages when we have really bad storms. I don't think I've had the power go out since I moved, but it used to happen fairly frequently at my parents house, especially in the summer. Maybe it just doesn't storm as bad anymore. :lol3:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has to be pretty bad to lose power in my neighborhood. I think we've lost power twice in 4 years? Maybe 3 times? Only once overnight but it was in the teens so glad it didn't last longer.

Oddly, work is another issue, in a way. We've on the grid with the hospital next door. We don't lose power much, maybe once every 18 months, but it flickers quite a bit, and when it does, we can blow out all kinds of electronic stuff. A couple times in 14 years we've been out for days.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
*knock on wood* it has hardly ever happened in our new home. A transformer blew outside our home one evening (I swear it looked like an alien ship was landing by the light that thing put off!) and it didn't go out. I can only think of a few occasions where it did, and of course it was the middle of the night in winter (though I'll take that over the summer - I need my a/c!). There are occasional little blips that happen and the only reason we even notice is the TV will suddenly restart.

My old house, I swear we lost power all the time. At least once a month. It was ridiculous.

At work... I don't think we've ever fully lost power. We work in health care so they have generators that generally kick in pretty quickly, sometimes so soon that the computer doesn't even shut off all the way. I don't think it's happened that often though.

Last edited:

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't had one for a while, but when a power plant suffered damage a couple of years back, they were frequent...and most annoying. Indeed, your life changes radically when electricity is cut off.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm retired, so it is just at home.  Really, very seldom do we have a real outage.  Only when there are severe storms in the area, in the nine years I've lived here.  HOWEVER...we do have a lot of "mini-outages," that is to say, the lights just flicker or go out for 5 seconds or less.  It's mostly annoying because I have to restart the television if I'm watching, the computer if I'm working on it, and I have to reset the clock on the microwave 2-3 times a week!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We do....at the drop of a hat. We come home from work and everything in the house is blinking because the power was off at some time. We get a t-storm and the power goes off. We get wind and the power goes off. It's very frustrating.

I remember one time during a football game the electricity went off. And we went down to a sports bar, just so Rick could watch the rest of the game! (I took a book along to read.)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes in the summer when it's so hot the whole of the country has their air conditioners on or winter during a bad storm.