Daddy Cats Role In Tica Registration & Pedigree Info

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if it is possible to register a kitten with the TICA if the Dad is registered but the Mother is not.. And if it is possible, I am also wondering how it is possible for the TICA to even know if the TICA registered Dad is really the Dad of a litter of kittens? What kind of records do the owners of a stud cat usually keep to prove male lines, and how do these get shared with the owner of the female cat, so the kittens can be TICA registered?

I just found out that the kitten I got from a TICA registered cattery cannot be registered because some complications prevented the Mom from being registered. As far as I know, this cattery has a good reputation and has produced cats I have seen in the pedigrees of many other TICA registered cats. I do not want to get into speculating about what might be going on with the breeder of my kitten that I have been left with so many loose ends. As long as this was an honest mistake, the TICA registration is not that important to me, though I would register my kitten through his Dad if this was possible. But mainly I love exploring cats pedigrees, and this situation has made me realize I have no idea how the paternal paperwork gets filled out and submitted when a breeder uses another breeders TICA registered stud to sire kittens… and I do not know what I would need to purchase the Dad’s pedigree from the TICA. Does my kitten need to be the registered son of the Dad for me to be allowed to purchase the Dad’s TICA pedigree? Or do I just need to get the Dad's registration info from the owner?

I have contacted the owners of the sire with some of my questions, but have no idea what is normal and what to ask for. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you want your cat to be registered in order to show and/or breed the cat? Or do you just want the registration because you are interested in the pedigree?

What breed are these cats? (It makes a difference, since different breeds can have different registration rules.)

Is the mother able to be registered in any association? Both parents must be registered in some association in order to register their kittens. You can't register kittens "through the Dad" alone. However, if the mother can be registered in another association, that might be a way to get the kittens registered.

To answer your question about how it works, when one breeder uses another's stud male, they have the stud's owner sign the litter registration form. Here is how the litter registration form looks; you can see that the owner of each parent of the litter signs the form.

TICA litter_registration.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If all you want is the pedigree of the father, why not just ask your kitten's breeder or the stud owner for a copy? You don't need to pay TICA for an official certified copy, if all you want is the information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for showing me what the breeders litter registration should look like. I guess if the Mom was not registered, then the TICA registered cattery with the sire would not have had this to fill out?

Is it normal for TICA registered catteries sometimes breed non registered kittens as well as registered kittens?

My cat (9 month old kitten) is an F6 Savannah. He is neutered, so no interest in breeding, and he has some non standard characteristics he probably inherited from his Great grandma who was a non permissible out cross, so he is not show quality. Just totally a character and very sweet! It is his pedigree info I am mainly interested in. Because local laws on hybrid cats can change, it also seemed a good idea to be able to document his well watered down Serval bloodlines, which would be helped by TICA registration, but mainly my interest is in his pedigree and seeing all the combination of breeds that went into making him...

I have contacted the cattery that owns the sire and let them know I would love his pedigree information. I do not know if they will be willing to provide this. The breeder of my kitten and owner of the Mom has given me so much confused information it seems a waste of time to continue to try and communicate with them. They may have stuff going on on their life that makes this understandable.

I do know the original breeder of the TICA registered Dad and his birthdate. If no one will tell me his pedigree, is this enough info for me to purchase it from the TICA?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he is an F6 and not registered, I would suggest that you simply call him a "domestic shorthair" in his vet records, and when talking to any authorities. That way you shouldn't have problems. An F6 has only a teeny-tiny amount of Serval DNA in it.

Here is the TICA form for ordering a pedigree:
Downloads
I don't know if TICA requires you to be the registered owner of the cat in order to order a certified pedigree... CFA will allow anyone to order a certified pedigree of a cat as long as you have the cat's registration number, but TICA may differ. You could give TICA a call and ask.

I do think your best bet is to talk to the stud's owner and explain the situation. Let them know that the cat is already neutered, so they don't worry that you are trying to get the information in order to set up some kind of backyard breeding situation with this cat.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for TICA registered catteries sometimes breed non registered kittens as well as registered kittens?
Well, I don't know the situation. It's not normal for TICA member catteries to produce unregistered litters on purpose. However, it is normal for human beings to make mistakes every once in a while (or more often than that, depending on the human being).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the advice and getting me pointed in the right direction!

It looks like all I need is the Dad's registration # to get his pedigree... Hopefully that is something I can get!

My kitten has the information he is a Savannah in his health insurance, and I don't think I can change that. But he more or less looks like a regular cat with not highly contrasting spots, and if I collect as much information as I can on his background, this could probably be used to prove that any possible Serval percentage is very very dilute, if it ever was really necessary..