D&V but otherwise fine

Scratchy Bitey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
My 11mth old kitty has been vomiting. Usually overnight, for the last 4/5 days. I have also noticed very loose stools in her litter tray.
We have only started letting her out within the last few months and it's only been recently that she's been exploring a bit more of the garden. I'm wondering whether she's just chomped on something in the garden that she was supposed to.
My question is what do I do about it? She is absolutely fine in herself. No change in her demeanor or behaviour. Should I keep her in till she's better? Or change her food? Or just let it take it's course?
Thanks IA

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d keep her in for a few days, see if symptoms rapidly improve. If so, she might be getting into something in your garden that’s making her unwell. Is your garden treated? What kind of fertiliser do you use, if any?

Can you check if she’s dehydrated? Do her gums look healthy? When you say she’s vomiting, does she hold down food after eating? What does her vomit look like? When you say diarrhoea, do you mean she’s going a lot, that it’s a lose consistency, or both?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scratchy Bitey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. We don't use any fertiliser in our garden but it's a possibility our immediate neighbour does. She seems to be vomiting overnight each time. So is keeping food down that she eats throughout the day. Its chunky brown vomit.
She was doing one loose poop a day until today. She has been 3 or 4 times and it is very loose every time. I'm going to keep her in now. We can lock the cat flap. I haven't given her any wet food today. Just dry kibble biscuits.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
See if symptoms stop if she stays indoors. If they do, I’d suggest considering restricting acess to the outdoors to supervised visits to your garden unless you’re able to determine what she could be getting into. Wet food is more easily digestible, and will provide the hydration that she needs (especially with how much she’s losing from being unwell), so you may be better off feeding her wet only (or as much wet as you’re able to budget for), at least until her symptoms improve.

Scratchy Bitey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I will do that. My previous cats all used to poop outdoors so I wasn't sure if I was being over cautious because I can see how much she's pooping in the litter tray.
I thought she was improving as her poop seemed to be a bit better but there was quite a lot of vomit this morning and that coupled with the increased frequency has concerned me a touch. I guess it would make sense that she has gone back and eaten more of something she shouldn't have.
These kitty's. Always causing worry.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I will do that. My previous cats all used to poop outdoors so I wasn't sure if I was being over cautious because I can see how much she's pooping in the litter tray.
I thought she was improving as her poop seemed to be a bit better but there was quite a lot of vomit this morning and that coupled with the increased frequency has concerned me a touch. I guess it would make sense that she has gone back and eaten more of something she shouldn't have.
These kitty's. Always causing worry.
If she doesn’t start improving soon, may be worth a vet trip. As it is, fingers crossed she’ll start quickly improving because she’s not able to make mischief outside.

Scratchy Bitey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have vet facetime calls included in my pet insurance. Will give it a few days and do that if it's still a problem. Thank you.
She is going to be grumpy about not going outside!! 😆