Cytopoint For Cat Allergies

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has seasonal allergies and I have always put drops of Mometamax in her ears when she itches them aggressively, and Synotic Otic fluid on the red angry hairless patches of skin she licks incessantly.

Today I took her in to the vet thinking I was going to be sent home with the same two products I have used for several years. My vet suggested trying Cytopoint. It is a monoclonal antibody used to treat dog allergies. He said he has learned from vet forums, clinics, and classes with other vets, that there are vets using CytoPoint for cat allergies with success.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on its use in cats? The only side effects I can see short term are mild diarrhea and vomiting. Since it is a new treatment, there are no long term side effects available.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do not, but I can suggest Chamomile tea for the angry spots. Brew a cup from commerecial tea bags, chill it, and swab on. It will relieve the itching almost immediately. I specify "commercial" because they are all German chamomile, medicinal, and safe for cats in proper dosages (and swabbing on the skin is well within that), unlike the English variety found in many gardens, which is actually toxic for cats.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is Cytopoint known by any other name? I googled it hoping to find the answer myself, but nothing else came up. I've never heard of it before, and as I'm sure you're discovered, there are no threads about here on TCS. I know Apoquel was only approved for use in dogs and some cat owners here have used it and found it worked pretty well. So...

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has seasonal allergies and I have always put drops of Mometamax in her ears when she itches them aggressively, and Synotic Otic fluid on the red angry hairless patches of skin she licks incessantly.

Today I took her in to the vet thinking I was going to be sent home with the same two products I have used for several years. My vet suggested trying Cytopoint. It is a monoclonal antibody used to treat dog allergies. He said he has learned from vet forums, clinics, and classes with other vets, that there are vets using CytoPoint for cat allergies with success.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on its use in cats? The only side effects I can see short term are mild diarrhea and vomiting. Since it is a new treatment, there are no long term side effects available.
my cat was just prescribed synotic for the first time yesterday for his skin allergy skin scanned areas along the back base of his ear. Based on your original post, you’ve had success using synotic?