Cysts And Stuff

Friend's Friend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I'm curious to hear anyone's input on the subject of cysts. When I adopted Friend back in October, I noticed a small cyst on his head; the shelter just told me that I'd have to take him to my vet to see what it was about. (They neglected to notice the even larger cyst on his belly, near his "armpit" . . . although this isn't the first time I've adopted from them and had them understate or overlook a potential medical issue. I once adopted a poor old kitty and was told that she'd "just need a tooth cleaning, and that mass on her side is nothing to worry about." "Tooth cleaning" and "nothing to worry about" became $1'000 worth of pulled teeth due to rot and a the excision of a huge tumor . . . but I digress.)

I've noticed another mole on Friend's belly, and my vet's assured me that they do indeed look like benign cysts to her (although she offered to do a biopsy if I ever wanted to make sure). But I'm concerned because I guess I usually associate cysts with older animals, and Friend isn't that old? I don't think? He's 8, which seems to be middle-aged . . . although he is a Maine Coon, and I don't know if big cat breeds are like big dog breeds, in that (sadly) they don't live quite as long as their smaller or mixed-breed fellows.

Has anyone had a particularly cyst-y cat who had no other health issues and lived to a ripe old age? Or is this something I should be worried about? If I notice anything else I'll take him to the vet, otherwise I'll bring it up again at our next vaccination visit. (And, to cover all bases: He's acting normally, eating, using the litterbox, etc.--no signs of illness whatsoever.)

Thanks all! <3
Friend's friend.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
My Big Guy had a bump on his tail which became apparent when he was about 8-9 years old if I remember correctly. Three vets said it was nothing and left it, it never grew. I don't recall if anyone ever called it anything, but finally the fourth vet looked at it and while he was under anesthesia for a dental cleaning she "burned it off", whatever that means.

He has another small lump-ish thing on his back towards his tail that has never grown and nobody has ever paid much attention to that either, particularly as sometimes when I mention it at the vet's office, they can't even find it...

I personally haven't ever come across anything that indicates large breed cats live shorter lives. The term middle-aged for a cat is a mis-nomer these days in my opinion because it doesn't take into account that more and more cats are living into their 20's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Friend's Friend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there friend,

Thanks for the reply! Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you. I think I'm just being my usual worrying self. ;)

I can't remember where I read that Maine Coons (and other larger breeds by extension) live shorter lives, but . . . well, I suppose it's the internet, at the end of the day. ;) I'm grateful for all the time I have with Friend.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No worries about getting back to me. :wink:
I'd say just keep an eye on any and all skin things, and if there are changes give your vet a shout. :bluepaw::bluepaw: