Cystotomy Reovery

Eh9000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here and have been endlessly reading different threads to calm my nerves.
My cat, Simon, is 6 years old and recently had pain peeing and had to undergo a cystotomy because he had stones in his urethra and more in his bladder. Thankfully, the stones were only partially blocking his urethra, so he was still able to pee small amounts and there was no blood. Still scary nonetheless. He had the cystotomy last Wed (24th) and we got him back on 25th. The surgeon said his bladder/urethra looks great and they were able to get a solid stream via his catheter while he was being hospitalized. He was prescribed an anti-biotic, anti-inflammatory, pain medication, and a muscle relaxer.
Despite all the good news of the success of his surgery, I'm basically a nervous wreck at any noise he makes, even if he's just meowing cause he wants pets. He didn't eat the first day, I assume to being sedated. But he has slowly started seeking out food more and more and has been drinking a lot of water, which is good. He's on Hills C/D wet/dry but I've been giving him only wet for the time being cause I figure the extra water is better at the moment. I've noticed he tends to sulk with a cone on, so I remove it when he's supervised for him to eat and roam around the room a little. When I take the cone off, he acts virtually the same as before and will even lightly play (he's much more of a lap cat anyway, he'd much prefer to sleep). So I chalk up any slight change in his behavior to him being coned... I swear he sighs a little when I put it back on haha.
I guess my main concern and worry is his peeing. He has peed quite a few times each day in the litterbox, but they've been small/medium sized pees each time. I figured because he was barely eating the first few days, he didn't have much in him to expel and he didn't start drinking a lot of water until today. He hasn't had any blood in his urine in the litterbox but I did notice a pin-drop amount of blood/urine when he got out once and sat down on the carpet. He doesn't seem to be straining, but I imagine it's not the most comfortable considering he had stones in his urethra too (not too mention all the catheters stuck up there). I'm in contact with the vets but the surgeon nurses don't come back till Monday for me to ask all these questions to calm my nerves.

I guess for other cat owners out there, how was your cat's bladder stone removal recovery process? How was their peeing habits for the days after the surgery and I assume it takes a while for them to get back to normal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eh9000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess I should mention too, cause I'm sleep deprived. I tried caging him in a dog cage but he wasn't having it and refused to sleep in there especially with the cone bumping everything. So we compromised and I cuddle with him outside the cage (with the cone on). I don't want him roaming too far around the room, even though there isn't much space for him to roam, so I tend to stay up extremely early so he can get some sleep and I can watch him. :sleep: