Cystitis question

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, Friends. Yuki was at the vets for several days. He was running a fever and either has cystitis or a bladder infection. We are waiting for culture results to see if there was bacteria in the urine, which, if present. would explain the fever. But if not, the we are left with the diagnosis of sterile cystitis, an inflammation of the bladder, which I am told typically does NOT produce a fever. So then I am worried about the presence of the fever (gone now) - has any one had a cat with sterile cystitis who also ran a fever?

Emily's cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a reason mammals get fevers - to heat up and kill the offending fungus, bacteria etc. I'd be more worried about the cystitis. Over 30 years ago my first cat who I got as a healthy kitten, developed what you are calling "cystitis" but he was diagnosed as having FUS or Feline Urologic Syndrome where his urinary tract would close up and he'd be unable to urinate and sometimes need to be catheterized to reopen the urinary track.

Over a number of years, I learned that my willingness to follow and do everything the conventional vet said to do for him CAUSED the condition. A) I was told to give him dry food - namely "Science Diet". B) I had him neutered much too early at the vet's recommendation C) I took him in for all the recommended vaccinations. His condition got so bad it led to emergency midnight visits to the hospital to catheterize him.

Unfortunately I didn't get the book THE NEW NATURAL CAT ( which explains how to keep your cat healthy by doing as much as you can as would be done if your cat lived in Nature, early enough in his life and didn't know enough to trust my instincts which I should have and lost him at far too young of an age (9).

My next cat was a 2 year old stray with a history of FUS as well. This time I vowed to do the exact OPPOSITE of what I'd done with the first cat including giving him a home prepared raw food diet and he lived twice as long.... and except for one unusual circumstance, never had need for a vet visit due to urinary tract issues. This cat also should have lived longer if I'd not been given poor veterinary advice and care in an emergency (but that is another story). So if I were you, I'd read some books on natural health care for cats. You'll reap rewards in spades! Dr. Kidd and Dr Pitcarn have both written books and Dr. Pitcairn wrote the forward to Anitra Frazier's book. There are other good ones as well.

• Purraise
Reactions: F+V

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Was Yuki put on antibiotics while waiting for the urine culture results? Just curious. I can't speak to the sterile cystitis, as I am not sure that any cystitis is actually ever 'sterile' - after all, there is generally inflammation involved. What other tests were run?

I do know that in the past Feeby has had multiple bladder infections, none of which resulted in a fever.

If Yuki was given antibiotics and the fever disappeared, I am not sure that tells you anything with regard to whether or not the fever was the result of cystitis. I have not read any information on this site or otherwise that has indicated a fever is common with either a bladder infection or cystitis. You probably need to pursue other possibilities. What is Yuki's background? Any possibility of feline herpes or FIV?

How is Yuki doing otherwise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He was given clavamox, and we are waiting for culture results. Herpes is a possibility. He is FIV negative. He had a bunch of blood work done just before the cystitis...all good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is a reason mammals get fevers - to heat up and kill the offending fungus, bacteria etc. I'd be more worried about the cystitis. Over 30 years ago my first cat who I got as a healthy kitten, developed what you are calling "cystitis" but he was diagnosed as having FUS or Feline Urologic Syndrome where his urinary tract would close up and he'd be unable to urinate and sometimes need to be catheterized to reopen the urinary track.

Over a number of years, I learned that my willingness to follow and do everything the conventional vet said to do for him CAUSED the condition. A) I was told to give him dry food - namely "Science Diet". B) I had him neutered much too early at the vet's recommendation C) I took him in for all the recommended vaccinations. His condition got so bad it led to emergency midnight visits to the hospital to catheterize him.

Unfortunately I didn't get the book THE NEW NATURAL CAT ( which explains how to keep your cat healthy by doing as much as you can as would be done if your cat lived in Nature, early enough in his life and didn't know enough to trust my instincts which I should have and lost him at far too young of an age (9).

My next cat was a 2 year old stray with a history of FUS as well. This time I vowed to do the exact OPPOSITE of what I'd done with the first cat including giving him a home prepared raw food diet and he lived twice as long.... and except for one unusual circumstance, never had need for a vet visit due to urinary tract issues. This cat also should have lived longer if I'd not been given poor veterinary advice and care in an emergency (but that is another story). So if I were you, I'd read some books on natural health care for cats. You'll reap rewards in spades! Dr. Kidd and Dr Pitcarn have both written books and Dr. Pitcairn wrote the forward to Anitra Frazier's book. There are other good ones as well.
I have Frazier's book, and have had it for decades. I know too about blockages...for that to occur, there needs to be crystals or stones in the urine. Yuki had neither. He is being treated for the cystitis - antibiotic, buprenorphine and prazosin. He seems well now. Lots of water is a good preventive. Canned food is much better for cats. I have a special cat fountain and I use distilled water.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Frazier's book, and have had it for decades. I know too about blockages...for that to occur, there needs to be crystals or stones in the urine. Yuki had neither. He is being treated for the cystitis - antibiotic, buprenorphine and prazosin. He seems well now. Lots of water is a good preventive. Canned food is much better for cats. I have a special cat fountain and I use distilled water.
Actually, cats with sterile cystitis can get blocked too- from mucous, inflammation debris, it may happen.
I’d just wait for culture results, it’s great they run it.
I haven’t had to use it yet, but I keep hearing that corn silk and d-mannose are great supplements for cystitis flare up.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
D Mannose..either one eighth of a teaspoon twice a day or one quarter of a teaspoon once a day.

Cornsilk...in crisis 7 drops x 4 daily then when clumps get bigger 7 drops x 3 daily then when close to normal 7 drops x 2 daily for a week to heal inflammation.

If I see him peeing less I straight away start him on 7 drops x 2 daily and d mannose as above.

I only give them when there is an issue and not part of a daily routine.

Others give d Mannose every day but the above seems to work for my cat.

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
D Mannose..either one eighth of a teaspoon twice a day or one quarter of a teaspoon once a day.

Cornsilk...in crisis 7 drops x 4 daily then when clumps get bigger 7 drops x 3 daily then when close to normal 7 drops x 2 daily for a week to heal inflammation.

If I see him peeing less I straight away start him on 7 drops x 2 daily and d mannose as above.

I only give them when there is an issue and not part of a daily routine.

Others give d Mannose every day but the above seems to work for my cat.
Thank you so much!

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use both d mannose and Cornsilk and they work well on my cat who had stress related cystitis.
Do you think d mannose and cornsilk can replace Cystease (or Cystophan, Cystaid)?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry but I haven't tried the other products, I only know that Cornsilk and D Mannose work for my cat.
D Mannose flushes out the debris in the bladder and helps the urine to flow whilst Cornsilk helps stop the irritation and is a mild anti inflammatory.
This is the cornsilk I use, must be non alcoholic.

• Purraise
Reactions: F+V

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry but I haven't tried the other products, I only know that Cornsilk and D Mannose work for my cat.
D Mannose flushes out the debris in the bladder and helps the urine to flow whilst Cornsilk helps stop the irritation and is a mild anti inflammatory.
This is the cornsilk I use, must be non alcoholic.
[/URL]
how long does it take before you start seeing improvement?
My cat is currently on pain relief. The vet didn't give him a third round of antibiotics or anti inflammatory because they are considering it related to stress(another cat at home that moved out two days ago) so they put him on pain relief pills.
i will start giving him d mannose today but won't be able to start with the cornsilk extract before the 9th as it takes forever to deliver it :S I only have dried cornsilk which I infused and he is having some in form of tea.
I am also giving him Urinary Gold
The vet suggested urinary food, I got the wet one but honestly I prefer to give him a mix of kibbles or commercial raw food and home made food over the Hill's urinary food. (we are still on kibbles because i'm still waiting to get my supplements to switch to homemade food)
I asked the vet what's the difference between the urinary food and my homemade food. She said that it's complex to recreate it at home and it's a very well studied food. I think she doesn't know better as most of the vets are not pet nutritionist.
I will give it 48 hours if things don't improve I will put him on that prescription food.
Any input is more than welcome!

thank you !

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is important that he not eat dry food. With these cats, the more moisture you get into them the better. I would feed the canned food of the prescription diet right now. The Rx diets are made to keep the urine pH at the correct level and also encourage drinking.

Before trying anything advised here, check with your vet. Something you try might not work well with what he is already on.

Provide an additional litterpan. This sometimes prevents them holding their urine and that would lead to problems.
You need to remove any stress from his life. Make sure he has plenty of enrichment, cat tv, toys, cat tree, scratching post etc.

Most cats that are blocked do not have urinary tract or bladder infections. Sterile cystitis is quite common and can lead to being blocked, which is a life or death emergency. Cats can block from mucus plugs at irritation, not just from crystals. Some crystals in the urine are normal in cats.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The mix of Cornsilk and D-Mannose took 2 days before my cat started to pee bigger amounts with less visits to the litter tray and about a week to get back to normal. Urinary ( or any other special diet food) is supposed to only work if no other food is given.

I am not a vet and every cat is different so I can only tell you the experience I had with my cat.

S silent meowlook is right about not feeding dry especially if they dont drink a lot of water, wet is far better. I told my vet I was using Cornsilk and D-Mannose and took both in to show her but she had never heard of them. They are both natural products and shouldn't affect any other medication.

With UTI's you have to act quick as stated above blockage can lead to death.

How often is your cat peeing now and how large are the amounts.

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Provide an additional litterpan.
I usually have one litter that is cleaned at least twice a day. After adding a second litter I noticed that he keeps going from one to another. I removed the second one as it seems like it's forcing him to try peeing twice. He was always fine with one litter box so I prefer to keep it that way and have him force himself to pee twice in a row.

I removed the dry food and now we are on wet food. He's a very picky eater, food needs to be fresh so I'm still giving him some freshly cooked chicken with broth.

His pee is between small amounts, a few drops to medium size. He is sleeping better with the pain relief pills but I can still sense that he is stressed out. I am planning on leaving him alone for periods of time so he can have the place for himself and relax a bit more.

Thank you both you have been an enormous support! <3

🤞🤞🤞

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise

I know this thread is older but feel it nessesary to stress the importance of propper vetrinary care.

Natural remidies are NOT a substitute for a licenced DVM. No more than a quack is a substitute for a medical doctor. They should be used in conjunction with traditional veterinary medicine not as a replacement for it. Always check with a licenced DVM before trying any kind of remedy or unconventional diet.

Alot of why some animals die earlier than others boils down to the gene pool. Some just have bad genes and nothing can fix that.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Indy just got over a brief bout of stress induced cystitus, the vet found no bactiria in her bladder upon taking a sample from the bladder. It thankfuly resolved on its own but I believe it was induced by municipal fireworks being set off close to the house on new years eve.

Indy hates backyard ones so the municipal ones probably really scared her they sound like gun shots and even can set car alarms off with the shockwaves. It wouldn't have surprised me if that triggered it in her.

She seems better now but was going in and out of the box every 15 mins or so. I just left her alone with Spotify playing for a few days. Seemed to help de-stress her a bit.

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just left her alone with Spotify playing for a few days. Seemed to help de-stress her a bit.
I did the same thing with my cat. I think my presence was stressing him out so I gave him few hours alone and it seemed to help him relax. Sometimes too much love can hurt. I should consider giving him more alone time.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Indy actualy thrives on human attention she was alone while the fireworks went off because we were at a friends house that night. I just think it realy freaked her out. She is just sensitive to loud noises and I think has some degree of PTS most of her siblings except her brother were killed by coyotes (acording to the rescue) and i think loud noises just switch her into this feral beast mode.