Cystitis question

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, Friends. Yuki was at the vets for several days. He was running a fever and either has cystitis or a bladder infection. We are waiting for culture results to see if there was bacteria in the urine, which, if present. would explain the fever. But if not, the we are left with the diagnosis of sterile cystitis, an inflammation of the bladder, which I am told typically does NOT produce a fever. So then I am worried about the presence of the fever (gone now) - has any one had a cat with sterile cystitis who also ran a fever?

Emily's cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a reason mammals get fevers - to heat up and kill the offending fungus, bacteria etc. I'd be more worried about the cystitis. Over 30 years ago my first cat who I got as a healthy kitten, developed what you are calling "cystitis" but he was diagnosed as having FUS or Feline Urologic Syndrome where his urinary tract would close up and he'd be unable to urinate and sometimes need to be catheterized to reopen the urinary track.

Over a number of years, I learned that my willingness to follow and do everything the conventional vet said to do for him CAUSED the condition. A) I was told to give him dry food - namely "Science Diet". B) I had him neutered much too early at the vet's recommendation C) I took him in for all the recommended vaccinations. His condition got so bad it led to emergency midnight visits to the hospital to catheterize him.

Unfortunately I didn't get the book THE NEW NATURAL CAT ( which explains how to keep your cat healthy by doing as much as you can as would be done if your cat lived in Nature, early enough in his life and didn't know enough to trust my instincts which I should have and lost him at far too young of an age (9).

My next cat was a 2 year old stray with a history of FUS as well. This time I vowed to do the exact OPPOSITE of what I'd done with the first cat including giving him a home prepared raw food diet and he lived twice as long.... and except for one unusual circumstance, never had need for a vet visit due to urinary tract issues. This cat also should have lived longer if I'd not been given poor veterinary advice and care in an emergency (but that is another story). So if I were you, I'd read some books on natural health care for cats. You'll reap rewards in spades! Dr. Kidd and Dr Pitcarn have both written books and Dr. Pitcairn wrote the forward to Anitra Frazier's book. There are other good ones as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Was Yuki put on antibiotics while waiting for the urine culture results? Just curious. I can't speak to the sterile cystitis, as I am not sure that any cystitis is actually ever 'sterile' - after all, there is generally inflammation involved. What other tests were run?

I do know that in the past Feeby has had multiple bladder infections, none of which resulted in a fever.

If Yuki was given antibiotics and the fever disappeared, I am not sure that tells you anything with regard to whether or not the fever was the result of cystitis. I have not read any information on this site or otherwise that has indicated a fever is common with either a bladder infection or cystitis. You probably need to pursue other possibilities. What is Yuki's background? Any possibility of feline herpes or FIV?

How is Yuki doing otherwise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He was given clavamox, and we are waiting for culture results. Herpes is a possibility. He is FIV negative. He had a bunch of blood work done just before the cystitis...all good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is a reason mammals get fevers - to heat up and kill the offending fungus, bacteria etc. I'd be more worried about the cystitis. Over 30 years ago my first cat who I got as a healthy kitten, developed what you are calling "cystitis" but he was diagnosed as having FUS or Feline Urologic Syndrome where his urinary tract would close up and he'd be unable to urinate and sometimes need to be catheterized to reopen the urinary track.

Over a number of years, I learned that my willingness to follow and do everything the conventional vet said to do for him CAUSED the condition. A) I was told to give him dry food - namely "Science Diet". B) I had him neutered much too early at the vet's recommendation C) I took him in for all the recommended vaccinations. His condition got so bad it led to emergency midnight visits to the hospital to catheterize him.

Unfortunately I didn't get the book THE NEW NATURAL CAT ( which explains how to keep your cat healthy by doing as much as you can as would be done if your cat lived in Nature, early enough in his life and didn't know enough to trust my instincts which I should have and lost him at far too young of an age (9).

My next cat was a 2 year old stray with a history of FUS as well. This time I vowed to do the exact OPPOSITE of what I'd done with the first cat including giving him a home prepared raw food diet and he lived twice as long.... and except for one unusual circumstance, never had need for a vet visit due to urinary tract issues. This cat also should have lived longer if I'd not been given poor veterinary advice and care in an emergency (but that is another story). So if I were you, I'd read some books on natural health care for cats. You'll reap rewards in spades! Dr. Kidd and Dr Pitcarn have both written books and Dr. Pitcairn wrote the forward to Anitra Frazier's book. There are other good ones as well.
I have Frazier's book, and have had it for decades. I know too about blockages...for that to occur, there needs to be crystals or stones in the urine. Yuki had neither. He is being treated for the cystitis - antibiotic, buprenorphine and prazosin. He seems well now. Lots of water is a good preventive. Canned food is much better for cats. I have a special cat fountain and I use distilled water.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Frazier's book, and have had it for decades. I know too about blockages...for that to occur, there needs to be crystals or stones in the urine. Yuki had neither. He is being treated for the cystitis - antibiotic, buprenorphine and prazosin. He seems well now. Lots of water is a good preventive. Canned food is much better for cats. I have a special cat fountain and I use distilled water.
Actually, cats with sterile cystitis can get blocked too- from mucous, inflammation debris, it may happen.
I’d just wait for culture results, it’s great they run it.
I haven’t had to use it yet, but I keep hearing that corn silk and d-mannose are great supplements for cystitis flare up.