Cystitis Again

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been feeding Blue on some commercial cat food as I haven't had time to make up some raw and within 2 days Cystitis.
Really annoyed with myself not stopping and making time to make up his normal food.
Just got back from the veterinary hospital and they gave me 2 boxes of urinary stress food for free. The are a good bunch of people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Vet hospital just called..he has a bad infection, bladder was extremely full and they cleared it using muscle relaxants without having to resort to catheters and such.
They keeping him most of today to monitor him and hopefully I pick him up around 4.00pm.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad they were able to empty the bladder without resorting to a catheter. Crystals in the urine? Bacteria - and, if so, do you know what kind?
Not much information as yet. I will get all the paperwork when I pick him up and have a look then.
They are very good in giving you detailed information and observations so you can pass it all on to your regular vet and the cats health history is totally complete.
Miss the little Brat..didnt have a thundering bowling ball running around the house and biting my feet to wake me up..slept in..lol

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was E coli bacteria infection of the urethra and bladder. Just a UTI.

Got him out of his basket..he ran to food bowl then chased a fly around.
All no big deal to him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My vet told me that E coli in the bladder can very difficult to eradicate, so just a heads up. It can be diminished, but may not clear up entirely. I have read and heard that D-mannose is good for helping clear the bladder lining of E coli, and my vet agreed. Feeby had a UTI early last year - followed by several more - all E coli. I have yet to start giving her the D-mannose, as she has had some other issues that I want to make sure are all gone before adding something else to her diet, but plan on doing so in the near future. It will not clear an infection, it is merely intended to reduce the E coli bacteria in the bladder and therefore help to avoid a bacterial build up. So once an infection is identified, antibiotics are necessary.

Last edited:

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet gave my cat Convenia ..I am furious with them taking such a risk.
He is having side effects but only minor at the moment..worried as hell.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you concerned because if there is a severe reaction, there is no way to reverse the antibiotic's duration time in the body? There are things that can be done to reduce/offset severe side effects, so if you see any such thing call your vet immediately.

Didn't the vet hospital get your approval first, and/or at least advice you about side effects and what to look for regarding more severe adverse reactions? I think you should contact them again - or, your regular vet - and let them know what side effects he is having and ask if it is common or not for those particular side effects to escalate, and also how long the side effects might last. You might also want to question the use of Covenia for an E coli related bladder infection. Was it determined through a urine culture that Blue's E coli is susceptible to Covenia?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner gives very sound information. E-coli has various strains and a culture and sensitivity tests need to be done to know the right type of anti-biotic to use for that particular strain. It can be very persistent.

My Charlie also had a UTI with an e-coli infection and that was explained to me too. It took a few doses of anti-biotic and even a change in one of them to get him clear and it was over about 8 + weekish.

I second calling the Vet about side effects. Often they don't explain things fully to caretakers and just "do" what they think is best under the circumstances. I'm a firm believer that options and risk should be fully explained.

Big hugs. So sorry you and kitty are going through this. Blue is his name, yes?

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vets had done all the tests perfectly..I emailed all the p/work to my niece who is a very experienced vet..unfortunately she lives a long way from me otherwise she would be looking after Blue, and she said they had done all the correct tests.
They had used the Covenia and taken a huge risk because as you probably know if you have a bad reaction it cant be reversed and the cat is damaged or dies.
Blues face swelling has gone down but he still has a twitch where he mouths like he has something stuck to the roof of his mouth then head tosses. He is also not eating very well.
My normal vet says to keep an eye on him and going to do some blood work tomorrow to check for anemia which a reaction to the drug can cause.

Catstina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you concerned because if there is a severe reaction, there is no way to reverse the antibiotic's duration time in the body? There are things that can be done to reduce/offset severe side effects, so if you see any such thing call your vet immediately.

Didn't the vet hospital get your approval first, and/or at least advice you about side effects and what to look for regarding more severe adverse reactions? I think you should contact them again - or, your regular vet - and let them know what side effects he is having and ask if it is common or not for those particular side effects to escalate, and also how long the side effects might last. You might also want to question the use of Covenia for an E coli related bladder infection. Was it determined through a urine culture that Blue's E coli is susceptible to Covenia?
Hi there,

My kitty William was just diagnosed with cystitis. No infection, just blood in his urine and eliminating outside the box. All other tests were normal. Right now I’m giving him pain meds, and a few supplements the vet gave me. Fish oil, probiotics etc. I was curious about what type of food your vet gave you, and also if you could share the recipe that you used for Blue? Any other tips would be great, too.

Thanks so much!

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

My kitty William was just diagnosed with cystitis. No infection, just blood in his urine and eliminating outside the box. All other tests were normal. Right now I’m giving him pain meds, and a few supplements the vet gave me. Fish oil, probiotics etc. I was curious about what type of food your vet gave you, and also if you could share the recipe that you used for Blue? Any other tips would be great, too.

Thanks so much!
Sorry to hear you are having cystitis problems, it can be stressful and painful to deal with for you and the cat.

In hindsight we discovered/decided that Blues issues were caused by him holding on to his pee and poop all day until I come home from work or any other time I was away for any length of time. It was all between the ears and not by any real medical issue.
He had been an abused neglected cat on a poor diet when I got him and he was going through some massive changes in environment, health and attitudes when he came and lived with me.
He suddenly bonded to me so strongly that if I wasn't around he would curl up and go comatose for 9-10 hours at a time and that wasnt good for his overall health. I had a week off work and and few short weeks and was able to work through this with him and that was more of a cure than diet or medicines .
I used the Hills urinary canned food for about a week then went back to raw which is a always varying mix of balanced recipes but I dont use any additives such as probiotics and oils and stuff because all this should occur naturally in a good raw diet that is fresh. I use a lot of chicken necks complete with the larynx which is a good source of Taurine and other goodies.
To cap off all of my cats issues were what was going on in his head and not real medical so probably a few members here would have better advice that I can give and more experience with the Cystitis in cats.
Good luck with it and keep us informed how things go with your boy.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there, My kitty William was just diagnosed with cystitis. No infection, just blood in his urine and eliminating outside the box. All other tests were normal. Right now I’m giving him pain meds, and a few supplements the vet gave me. Fish oil, probiotics etc. I was curious about what type of food your vet gave you, and also if you could share the recipe that you used for Blue? Any other tips would be great, too. Thanks so much!
Hi! Cystitis can cause inflammation in the bladder, which is what the blood is probably about. It is possible that William needs an anti-inflammatory to resolve the inflammation. He could also be having issues with his urethra, and that might require an anti-spasmodic to relax the muscles. Did the vet do any kind of scan to determine what his urinary tract looks like? In many cases, cystitis of unknown origins is the result of a cat that is high-anxiety and/or under a lot of stress. What else can you tell us about William?